Summer Transfers

I think he was a good signing but not a great signing. He needs to be more consistent and affect the big games and not go missing when the games get tough - tonight (if he plays) will be a great example of games where he needs to do this
Mahrez is a lot more consistent and less likely to go missing that Sane. Guardiola used to get really frustrated that when he lost the ball up front he didn't track back to try to recover it. I think Sane is a player who thinks he knows better than the manager, as per Joe Hart unfortunately.

i agree on stones

I completely disagree on Mendy - he is defensively weak - positionally bad (especially when the ball is coming in from the opposite side), cant head a ball very well at all, his tackling is poor and his concentration/focus is off. His body shape when he goes one to one with attackers is all over the place (and unbalanced) and for a big guy he gets far too easily out muscled. Even his attacking play (which I know he is good at) isnt great. People point to the crosses he put in in the last couple of games as signs that he is getting back to what he can do - I completely disagree - against chelsea he knew Kun and Jesus werent on the pitch yet was still putting balls across the 6 yd area without looking expecting them to be there -he needs to be cleverer than that and actually think and look to see where his team mates were (Obviously you could criticise Bernardo and whoever else was attacking for not being there - but you have to remember that they aint centre forwards and therefore wouldnt neccessarily make the same run as Kun/Jesus - Mendy didnt appreciate this.
I agree on the defensive bits but I don't think you can blame Mendy for no one getting on the end of those crosses flashed across the 6 yard box, that is 100% down to the attackers not making the correct runs. It's just the basics; one front post, one back post, one holding.

As a winger/fullback, you expect players to make those runs, there's no excuses, you haven't always got the time to lift your head and look. Our whole game is based on the concept of "knowing instinctively where each player will be positionally", that's the whole reason for the training ground grids and why we can play out from the back with such calmness when we're pressed aggressively. It's the same with the crosses, Mendy will be told to play those crosses across the six yard box, it's other players responsibility to get on the end of them.

Can't believe there's still people who don't think Mahrez was a good signing.
Mahrez is a good individual player but we were not a better team for signing him, we were a better team with Sane. We were quicker, had more natural width and a better defensive balance because he allowed us to play with inverted fullbacks which helped us prevent counter attacks.

Mahrez in isolation is brilliant (at times) and he could be a the perfect plan b, however we are a better team with natural width in my opinion. It's all about balance.

I agree on the defensive bits but I don't think you can blame Mendy for no one getting on the end of those crosses flashed across the 6 yard box, that is 100% down to the attackers not making the correct runs. It's just the basics; one front post, one back post, one holding.

As a winger/fullback, you expect players to make those runs, there's no excuses, you haven't always got the time to lift your head and look. Our whole game is based on the concept of "knowing instinctively where each player will be positionally", that's the whole reason for the training ground grids and why we can play out from the back with such calmness when we're pressed aggressively. It's the same with the crosses, Mendy will be told to play those crosses across the six yard box, it's other players responsibility to get on the end of them.

I agree its a shared responsiblity but a intelligent player makes adjustments. He is just firing them across and not making any adjustmetns

But my problem with him isnt his attacking ability (thoug i do think he is overrated in this area) - my issue is him defensively and he is appalling - he is worse than Kolorov was defensively

Mahrez is a lot more consistent and less likely to go missing that Sane. Guardiola used to get really frustrated that when he lost the ball up front he didn't track back to try to recover it. I think Sane is a player who thinks he knows better than the manager, as per Joe Hart unfortunately.

Agree with all of that - Sane was inconsistent as well but he is also much less experienced. I dont care about Sane - he is gone. Marhez to me still has much to prove.

I think people are thinking of 3 years ago Sane. He hasn't been that player for a while, much to my disappointment as I thought we had a Ballon D'or winner on our hands. He has prodigious gifts but, as other posters have said, I think he wants to play the game his way and that makes him unsuited to Pep.

He seems to have all the attributes to be a top striker, he is like Lewandowski as far as the type of striker just obviously not at that level. The move to Real just doesn't seem to have worked for whatever reason, that happens sometimes.
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully he just needs an extended run a team that will create lots of chances!

In your opinon he has been the second best - not mine.

KDB, D. Silva , Walker Kun, Ferna all more consistent in my opinion and Laporte obviously (but he hasnt played many games). Even in the few games he has played Foden has been more affective. Mahrez has flashes of brilliance and his skill is undeniable but he flits in and out of games and disappears far too often.

Mendy is fucking shocking imho - he is mascarading as a defender and that step up is still needed - Can he? - possibly but I wont hold my breath. I think his crossing is overrated as well. One thing he does have and Ill give him credit for are his angled passes on the inside (usually aimed at Silva) - they are a very useful weapon BUT his negatives outweigh his positives at the moment for me - so much that Id be trying to see what one of the EDS lads can do there
Based on this season you'd have these players above Mahrez? No way has Silva been (I love Dave but no he's not), Walker (I may concede on), Ferna (personally I don't think so he's had to adapt to a different position but he's not been as consistent), Kun (I don't think he's been as good as Mahrez IMO).

When Angelino has been thrown out for not being at the required level you mean? Probably the best left back we've had at the academy, be the best player in the Dutch league in his position and play Champions League football for a decent German team but still not be at the level we need? Would you say Angelino is better than Mendy? Surely you'll give me that then, eh? I'll be honest we can disagree all day but we'll leave it at that :).

Sane showed up when it mattered. Liverpool and Utd last year in particular. Yet to see Mahrez deliver in a big game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.