Summer Transfers

If the issue is who isn't good enough, then surely that disqualifies Doku. You sincerely don't think an 18 year-old kid just getting this feet wet on the 8th place team in Belgian football is somehow the right choice to come save us in the case of injury. Come on, let's get real.

You've made some good calls. This isn't one of them. Not to mention, your reasoning is all over the place. In one breath you claim you'd rather wingers play on the wing and strikers play striker. Yet you want us to go get an 18 year-old Winger to come serve as back up striker.

He has some potential. But he is barely scratching the surface at Anderlecht. No reason whatsoever to bring him in as a Striker. Maybe as a 4th winger. But why do that and stunt his development?

Edouard is a very good striker. And fits our mold. Great touch. Very good interplay and is good with his head and both feet. Don't know If he is technically at our level. But he is far superior to Doku.

FFS Doku isn't even a striker. He is a Sterling type player.

You know i like your views and respect them, so with Edouard when i watch him i see Origi, and when i watch Doku i see Micheal Owen , it is always about opportunity when it come to who succeeds but there is a vacancy for left wing back up, and the need will arise this season coming for a back up Striker, Doku will become Club trained cost minimal fee and wages, and will not block us buying a top class striker next season, maybe even Edouard if he continues to improve

Can you expand on your reasoning?

IMO Mahrez has had a fantastic season - as a winger he played 49 games scored 13 goals and gave 13 assists. I'd be interested to understand how that can possibly be considered to be 'meh'?

The "meh" was for the club's season as we don't know the outcome of CL and we have only the capital cup to show for this season.
Normally the price of the players are highest when they are coming out of a season winning trophies or having a godly season like KDB had this time around.
Mahrez numbers have been excellent but his age may be a factor for clubs which may come calling. Like Koulibaly who has been excellent for few seasons now but his age and Napoli's timid performance took his price down a little. Hence even we are balking at paying them. ADL is delusion to ask for 90 mil but we know that already.

For B.Silva age is on his side.

And just to reiterate i am not saying i want rid of all those players. My point was more to talk about our more saleable assets and not cripple the first team

The "meh" was for the club's season as we don't know the outcome of CL and we have only the capital cup to show for this season.
Normally the price of the players are highest when they are coming out of a season winning trophies or having a godly season like KDB had this time around.
Mahrez numbers have been excellent but his age may be a factor for clubs which may come calling. Like Koulibaly who has been excellent for few seasons now but his age and Napoli's timid performance took his price down a little. Hence even we are balking at paying them. ADL is delusion to ask for 90 mil but we know that already.

For B.Silva age is on his side.

And just to reiterate i am not saying i want rid of all those players. My point was more to talk about our more saleable assets and not cripple the first team]

Ah, sorry about that, it just shows how easy it is to misread a post - I read it three times but I still thought you were saying that Mahrez had been meh this season so I responded because he's been truly brilliant.

I think that this will prove to be a fascinating transfer window what with our victory as CAS, the weakened state of number of football clubs across Europe and with next season being the last on Pep's current contract.
I have a vague and unfounded hope that City will give Pep free reign to rip it up and remodel the squad, via a high player turnover, in the hope of or by agreement that, Pep extends his tenure to develop said remodeled squad. And, of course, the length of Pep's tenure will have a significant effect on how successful we are in bringing the right players in.
If it's a rip-up then maybe Mahrez will go?

Well I seriously hope we don't but push comes to shove he is one player who would fetch as real good money and won't make a dent on the first team like KDB Sterling Laporte or Ederson would do.

he’s had a bad season by his standards. If we’re saying the same next season I’d agree with you. He deserves another go to see if that’s a blip or his standards have dropped below what we require. Mahrez our performed him this year, so he has the challenge of making sure it’s mahrez that leaves the club

Right this seems to have come across wrong, not unusual for me. First Maguire, he is not the best out there but he is English and would have boosted our quota which is tight he can play left and right to a decent standard, Pep i believe wanted that 3 competent CB`s and youth to challenge for the 4th place, not getting Maguire meant Otamendi stayed, hence the buying of a Club trained player at LB, a position that was failing badly for different reasons, if we had a Foreign spot we could have got a top quality player, Angelino is a success for the money men, but as i said at the time, he is very good in a weak league, but not good enough for the EPL or us, i also said we need a back up for Sane but was told the usual rubbish that such and such can cover that.
Sones and Sane staying are not the point i was trying to make, it happens and hopefully we will buy younger with the potential to surpass, the point i was trying to make was Ottamendi and Angelino would not be here,with Bravo, Silva, possibly Zinchenko,Fernadinho and Gundogan leaving, who would we be spending big on We were primed up for a big hitter this summer before the Maguire gazumping and Covid which in hindsight Maguire did us a favour

So had we bought Maguire which we did not do because of the price we would have gone on to buy better more expensive left back because the one we got last summer had to be homegrown. Can you spot the flaw in that argument ? Still do not see how that stops Sane leaving Or are you saying replacing Sane would now be our only signing this window which fits in with your argument about only one signing if we had got Maguire. What if we now get a striker or midfielder that then pushes us over that one major signing. How does Ake factor in given that it would see that we have decided we need a bigish name back up left cb not in the youth category regardless of the quality of Laport and the Right (Maguire in your proposition KK in the current situation)

Sorry if it sounds like I am having a go should not really be back and to with one poster and perhaps I have miss understood your original post

What do you mean maguire did us a favour ?

Looks like we are primed for a big hitting summer this summer regardless of the fact we did not get Maguire, I would say Ake Ferran and RCB of KK Skrinar Dias type is huge and then there is the talk around left back midfield and even striker which are all less likely but seem very strong on the rumour front

So had we bought Maguire which we did not do because of the price we would have gone on to buy better more expensive left back because the one we got last summer had to be homegrown. Can you spot the flaw in that argument ? Still do not see how that stops Sane leaving Or are you saying replacing Sane would now be our only signing this window which fits in with your argument about only one signing if we had got Maguire. What if we now get a striker or midfielder that then pushes us over that one major signing. How does Ake factor in given that it would see that we have decided we need a bigish name back up left cb not in the youth category regardless of the quality of Laport and the Right (Maguire in your proposition KK in the current situation)

Sorry if it sounds like I am having a go should not really be back and to with one poster and perhaps I have miss understood your original post

What do you mean maguire did us a favour ?

Looks like we are primed for a big hitting summer this summer regardless of the fact we did not get Maguire, I would say Ake Ferran and RCB of KK Skrinar Dias type is huge and then there is the talk around left back midfield and even striker which are all less likely but seem very strong on the rumour front

Not buying Maguire does not mean we did not have the money, it only means we did not value him that much, and that is certainly the case with his wages, but he is English and can play both positions, Ake can not nor can any other except Otamendi,
If we would have bought a decent LWB instead of Angelino. Mendy or Zinchenko would have been sold, and that would have raised money if only on wages, so there is no flaw there at least.
Sane leaving is neither here nor there his replacement just about done for a cheaper price, but had we got those two last season would it have seen us enter this window needing nothing but upgrading back up players, meaning our sales though youth upto a £100 million. plus transfer budget could be spent on 1 quality player.
Covid put an end to that almost no value in youth sales and no top quality players wanting to move, means we can concentrate on improving weaker areas of our squad ready for next season when we will need a striker, so Maguire not coming on a high wage and fee is a bonus, as fee`s and wages will drop this season and next

You know i like your views and respect them, so with Edouard when i watch him i see Origi, and when i watch Doku i see Micheal Owen , it is always about opportunity when it come to who succeeds but there is a vacancy for left wing back up, and the need will arise this season coming for a back up Striker, Doku will become Club trained cost minimal fee and wages, and will not block us buying a top class striker next season, maybe even Edouard if he continues to improve
Fair enough. It's true Edouard is gangly like Origi, and I'm not suggesting he is up to standard. But he has the basic skills. However, I don't see Owen in Doku. I see a slower but slightly more skillful Sterling.

Bernardo does better in the center than the wings I think, but since KDB has been back he can’t really go in the center anymore

Not buying Maguire does not mean we did not have the money, it only means we did not value him that much, and that is certainly the case with his wages, but he is English and can play both positions, Ake can not nor can any other except Otamendi,
If we would have bought a decent LWB instead of Angelino. Mendy or Zinchenko would have been sold, and that would have raised money if only on wages, so there is no flaw there at least.
Sane leaving is neither here nor there his replacement just about done for a cheaper price, but had we got those two last season would it have seen us enter this window needing nothing but upgrading back up players, meaning our sales though youth upto a £100 million. plus transfer budget could be spent on 1 quality player.
Covid put an end to that almost no value in youth sales and no top quality players wanting to move, means we can concentrate on improving weaker areas of our squad ready for next season when we will need a striker, so Maguire not coming on a high wage and fee is a bonus, as fee`s and wages will drop this season and next

I think the main reason for not getting Maguire was value rather than lack of funds but if we had a larger budget I do not think value would have come into it much we certainly do not have a infinite budget. So we cannot be certain that we would have got a better left back

Also I still think regardless of getting Maguire or not we would be getting Ake or similar this year so hardly no given the price since what you said about Maguire being able to play right or left cb also applies to this years targets e.g. Dias KK Skrinar etc

You said we would not be getting anyone this window had we got Maguire but we would because we would be replacing Sane the fact we are doing it in a relatively cheap way or in your view is neither here nor there not the same as what you said.

You where saying we wouldnt need to buy anyone implying no business now your saying we would not need to buy anyone so we would spend 100 million on some one.Not sure how spending that amount would fit with upgrading a back up since a player costing that would not be a back up player.

Finally you seemed to be dismissive in a earlier post of this transfer window yet we do not know what will happen lots of rumours of us ITK suggesting we are not just going to get the key signings we need but very good players and even quality players in positions we are not as weak in such as midfield and striker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.