Sunday Dinner...

bluestevei said:
Uwe Rosler said:
I always make my own Yorkshires, it's not as difficult as you may think.

I started with this base recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/jamie-olivers-yorkshire-puddings-397360. I also add Malt Vinegar to my mix as well.

Trick is to make sure your oil in your tray is hot enough to fry a small dog before you add the batter.

excuse me, what does a cockney know about Yorkshires.

whatever you do, make sure the fat in the Yorkshire pud tray is hot very hot, make sure you see smoke coming from fat before you put mixture in

I've made my own once before, they were good but ended up the size of the oven nearly

bluegirl74 said:
Petrovs left peg said:
bluebrickroad said:
Reference the roast spuds, after par boiling them and before you put them into the oven, rub salt around each one as this will ensure they come out crisp.

I have been told that for best roasties they should be cooked in goose fat.

This with a couple of crushed garlic cloves in the oil. Ten minutes from time get the black pepper sprinkled. job done

yummy. i chuck a sprig of rosemary or thyme in with mine too.

also, when you're roasting the meat, do it on a trivet of thickly sliced onions, they'll roast in the juices and add flavour when you come to make the gravy or make a nice vegetable side dish in themselves.
Nice adding some of the roast onion to the gravy.

inspired by this thread, just made the best roast dinner i've ever made. roast, potatoes, carrotts, cabbage, peas, gravy from the meat juices and yorkshires. four very clean plates!

and, mr bg74 looking forward to having the leftover meat on a BARM for lunch tomorrow. forget 62 things to tell your husband to make him feel loved, in this house it's "put a roast dinner in front of him".

Sunday dinners what are they nowadays?
Since we lived in Cyprus and my Mrs watched every series of My Greek Kitchen with Tonia Buxton Beef Stifado has replaced the traditonal meat and two veg in our house.
Not really complaining as the Mrs has mastered the Stifado and its just as good as any Greek taverna, well maybe she overdoses the olive oil sometimes!

We don't eat much beef at ours as there's only me who likes it. We normally have turkey breast and gammon together for Sunday dinner. Also roast potatoes have got to be done in goose fat.

first roast dinner for a few months tonight
mainly because Mrs sf was asked by our son for a roast dinner

roast beef, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, broccoli and carrots, delicious gravy and some Dijon mustard

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.