Sunday, the derby nobody wants to win?

I think some of you are missing the valid point that De Nero is making here.

This season, at this stage of our development, the Premier League is by far and away the overriding objective. Whilst the fans want to win the derby match, and there's the psycological side for the title run-in, in truth it's a bit of a poisoned chalice: winning would be nice but would mean yet more games.

If we go off chasing all the other cups, and lose the title to Man Utd as a consequence, the whole club will be deflated. The title matters that much this year. I bet you that's all Abu Dhabi, and Mancini, really care about. I don't think he'll play a weakened team but I would if I was him. I'd play a weakened team against United, then it doesn't matter psycologically even if we do lose. And I'd go full strength at home to Liverpool. Winning that one gets us within touching distance of another trophy. Beating United still leaves us 5 games short.

Just to stress, that's what I'd do, not what i believe the manager will do. I think he'll play a weaker team against Liverpool.

Even if Bobby Manc isn't interested in the cup, for psychological reasons we have to win.
In the mind game stakes, do not underestimate what the effect of beating the rags will do to them in their pursuit of us in the league.

Didsbury Dave said:
I think some of you are missing the valid point that De Nero is making here.

This season, at this stage of our development, the Premier League is by far and away the overriding objective. Whilst the fans want to win the derby match, and there's the psycological side for the title run-in, in truth it's a bit of a poisoned chalice: winning would be nice but would mean yet more games.

If we go off chasing all the other cups, and lose the title to Man Utd as a consequence, the whole club will be deflated. The title matters that much this year. I bet you that's all Abu Dhabi, and Mancini, really care about. I don't think he'll play a weakened team but I would if I was him. I'd play a weakened team against United, then it doesn't matter psycologically even if we do lose. And I'd go full strength at home to Liverpool. Winning that one gets us within touching distance of another trophy. Beating United still leaves us 5 games short.

Just to stress, that's what I'd do, not what i believe the manager will do. I think he'll play a weaker team against Liverpool.

I understand what Bill is saying,but remember he said BOTH managers,so it could be two weakened teams,and I would still fancy us to win the tie v the rags.

RM is being cautious imo by saying he wants 2 trophies,deep down (and like the rest of us) we can and will win the lot !!

There was another thread asking who are our most dangerous rivals this season. A lot of us answered "ourselves". This. Long-time strategy is not about throwing matches in order to focus on other matches. It's about building a winning mentality into the backbone of the club - like, lets face it, Baconchops has successfully done. In every single match this season when we haven't taken all three points it has not been because the opposition has been nearly as good as us. It has happened in our minds. It happened because we haven't learned to think like winners every second of every game - yet.

We must be killers, predators, ruthless rulers of the game ALWAYS! We might rotate the squad, but we should always go for the win. Leave all doubts behind - think like winners, we become winners.
Quadruple it is.

OP could not be more wrong. City from the Sheikh down have been so proud to have won the FA cup, that retaining it would be a fantastic achievement and to add it to the Premier League title making it a double would be the most fantastic of achievements. If we go on to win the CCcup and the league we will hold all domestic trophies at once for a short time even if we don't retain it.

I don't think for a minute United will go less than full strength,

Fergie knows we are a better team and that for them to win the league we have to throw it away. He'll want this cup win.

Didsbury Dave said:

Fergie knows we are a better team and that for them to win the league we have to throw it away. He'll want this cup win.

He has never played a weakened team against us, even when we were utterly shite

The Pink Panther said:
Didsbury Dave said:

He has never played a weakened team against us, even when we were utterly shite

Correct. He even got an extra game ban for Ferdinand just so he could play in the last cup game against us.

He knows we are the big threat to him "going out in a blaze of glory". He knows we've overtaken them.

He should have retired in the summer. Sheikh Mansour has spoilt his party.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.