Supporting Two Teams?

Is it possible to support two teams equally?

Whom would such people want to win, should their two clubs face each other?

I know a lot have a "second" team, whose results they keep an eye on. As far as I’m concerned, that’s Exeter City, as a mate used to play for them.

Many years ago, a lad I went to school with, a Spurs fan, couldn’t understand why I’d want City to beat Plymouth. I didn’t think to ask him, which team he’d want to win, if Argyle played Tottenham.

I’m asking, because I don’t believe that it is possible to support two teams equally, but others might say differently.
Would your m8 be Scott Hiley by any chance ?

Isn't this what National teams are for?

I get why supporters of teams lower down the league take an interest in a huge Premier League game, but the notion that they'd support either team as a '2nd team' is strange, and not something I'd ever come across when I followed England and got to know a number of fans that supported clubs all over the country.

Anyone I've ever come across that's had a 2nd team or in many cases, multiple teams have all been foreign and in all cases they'd never been to a game of any of the teams that they followed.

I imagine it's rare to come across anyone from any of the major footballing countries that support more than 1 domestic club and their national side.

We were staying at the same hotel and had a good drink with a bunch of Holland fans after England battered them at Wembley in Euro ‘96. Good set of lads. Spoke better English than me and we met up with them again a couple of years later when they were over here again.

They told me something that I thought was very strange. That a high percentage of fans of the Holland national team don’t support any club. Just the national team and that’s it.

Never heard of that before or since. Suppose they could have been taking the piss. But it seems a bit of a shit, pointless joke if they were.

We were staying at the same hotel and had a good drink with a bunch of Holland fans after England battered them at Wembley in Euro ‘96. Good set of lads. Spoke better English than me and we met up with them again a couple of years later when they were over here again.

They told me something that I thought was very strange. That a high percentage of fans of the Holland national team don’t support any club. Just the national team and that’s it.

Never heard of that before or since. Suppose they could have been taking the piss. But it seems a bit of a shit, pointless joke if they were.
How does the Dutch League survive if there's little support for the Clubs and only the National Team ?
Appreciate, that non-English fans of the Top 6 will not support England, but City have always had a big contingent who also actively supported England ?

I knew a chap who was a huge Arsenal fan. We watched the 2006 CL final together and the bloke was nearly in tears. Lost touch with him after school and bumped into him in 2011 and he said he was a United fan then. We've kept in touch through social media over the years. He's a big Real Madrid fan these days. He was posting memes mocking Arsenal yesterday and I couldn't resist reminding him that some of us were old enough to remember when he was an Arsenal fan.
Is his name Adam?

I have a season card (4 of us) at Manchester City and season tickets (two) at Aberdeen FC. The two teams have never and will never meet competitively. I would consider myself a fan (supporter) of both clubs, but City results matter / hurt more.
I never miss a single Manchester City match either live (most home matches) or on TV. If I’m honest sometimes I enjoy the Aberdeen games more because there is much less stress related to the result, when City drop points it feels like the end of the world as the stakes are so high. Reading this thread sounds like many would call me a plastic but I guarantee I support my teams with more passion and heart than many and am vocal and fight to the end.

I've never come across that either but I suppose it's plausible if you're from a country with a weak domestic league.

I wonder if other nations like Sweden, Denmark or even Ireland, Wales and Scotland have a large number of supporters that just support their national team and nobody else.

I get the impression that the level of tribalism in our country is fairly unique when it comes to football. Some of the numbers you get supporting clubs as low as the 5th tier in our country are impressive when compared to the same level in other countries.

So, if you're from the equivalent of say Oldham in Holland then maybe many just don't bother with domestic football but are still proud to be Dutch so follow the Oranje rather than jump on the bandwagon of a successful domestic team.

BTW, some of the finest football fans around are the Dutch from my experience. Sounds like you had a good experience when in their company too.

I've never come across that either but I suppose it's plausible if you're from a country with a weak domestic league.

I wonder if other nations like Sweden, Denmark or even Ireland, Wales and Scotland have a large number of supporters that just support their national team and nobody else.

I get the impression that the level of tribalism in our country is fairly unique when it comes to football. Some of the numbers you get supporting clubs as low as the 5th tier in our country are impressive when compared to the same level in other countries.

So, if you're from the equivalent of say Oldham in Holland then maybe many just don't bother with domestic football but are still proud to be Dutch so follow the Oranje rather than jump on the bandwagon of a successful domestic team.

BTW, some of the finest football fans around are the Dutch from my experience. Sounds like you had a good experience when in their company too.
You think Scotland doesn’t have tribalism? Lol

Scotland has the highest attendances per capita…

Scotland has by far the biggest football attendance per capita in Europe, 65 % higher than the 2nd placed Netherlands.

I know a few people who attend Scotland games but don’t go to club matches. Most are bored middle class , middle aged men who use the excuse of international football to get away for a few days Bevvy with their mates and away from their wife’s. The football is very much secondary to having a laugh and a few drinks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.