Tactical discussion

ManCitizens. said:
We've played 442 since the beginning of our title winning season.
It was 4231 for almost all of the title winning season and 75% of last season.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
I think we are missing Tevez.

His energy and ability to win a game we were struggling in like Swansea and Wigan last year was evident for all to see but we got rid and kept Dzeko who once again has slipped to the bench within 4 games

I agree with this. Tevez gave us many things, creativity being one of them.

We got rid of Tevez?
Did he not want to leave?

As for Dzeko. Hardly any rumors or anything of anyone wanting him so where do we sell him?

In an odd kind of way I preferred the Mancini style of play, whether it was called 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or a fliud 4-4-2, whatever, it seemd to work in terms of controlling possession in midfield and helping to create lots of chances last season and the season before.

Whenever I went to the Etihad (as a season card holder) I rarely felt apprehensive about the result of the game, the only issue was whether we would win by a single goal or by a bigger margin.

But even before the league winning season during the FA Cup winning year, we played a slightly more defensive approach, with YaYa playing a more advanced midfield position, even though we didn't score lots, we rarley looked like losing a game and were always seemingly in control.

Unfortunately this has all changed in a very big way since Pelligrini's arrival, we look weak in defence (a total shambles at times), the midfield no longer controls matches leaving the defence even more exposed and we've recently stopped creating chances for the forwards, which is an even bigger concern. We simply don't look in control of games now.

I'm failing to understand how the new tactics will work at the moment.

It seemed to me that there was nothing seriously wrong with the previous way of playing, apart from injecting a bit of pace or "zip" to the passing and build up. so just a little tweaking was required, not wholesale changes from our new manager.

Pelligrini is probably used to dealing with players in Spain, who are on average more intelligent and technically gifted and who are capable of playing a game with various tactics, albeit at a slightly slower pace, whereas frankly the EPL is faster and the players in our team (especially the British ones), I suspect are as thick as planks and simply can't adapt to the tactics the manager wants.

I think the manager will have to go back to the drawing board and start again I'm afraid.

The report card from me is "C- Manuel must do better".

I'm seriously not looking forward to the dery on Sunday, it could be 1-6 to the scum the way things appear right now.

Eaglechief said:
In an odd kind of way I preferred the Mancini style of play, whether it was called 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or a fliud 4-4-2, whatever, it seemd to work in terms of controlling possession in midfield and helping to create lots of chances last season and the season before.

Whenever I went to the Etihad (as a season card holder) I rarely felt apprehensive about the result of the game, the only issue was whether we would win by a single goal or by a bigger margin.

But even before the league winning season during the FA Cup winning year, we played a slightly more defensive approach, with YaYa playing a more advanced midfield position, even though we didn't score lots, we rarley looked like losing a game and were always seemingly in control.

Unfortunately this has all changed in a very big way since Pelligrini's arrival, we look weak in defence (a total shambles at times), the midfield no longer controls matches leaving the defence even more exposed and we've recently stopped creating chances for the forwards, which is an even bigger concern. We simply don't look in control of games now.

I'm failing to understand how the new tactics will work at the moment.

It seemed to me that there was nothing seriously wrong with the previous way of playing, apart from injecting a bit of pace or "zip" to the passing and build up. so just a little tweaking was required, not wholesale changes from our new manager.

Pelligrini is probably used to dealing with players in Spain, who are on average more intelligent and technically gifted and who are capable of playing a game with various tactics, albeit at a slightly slower pace, whereas frankly the EPL is faster and the players in our team (especially the British ones), I suspect are as thick as planks and simply can't adapt to the tactics the manager wants.

I think the manager will have to go back to the drawing board and start again I'm afraid.

The report card from me is "C- Manuel must do better".

I'm seriously not looking forward to the dery on Sunday, it could be 1-6 to the scum the way things appear right now.

fully agree

and as for the derby id go for one striker up front and back to the old formation.......otherwise we will get beaten badly

we have dominated united in recent meetings (even in the games we have lost)......we wont this time with our current tactics and team set up

back to 4-2-3-1 for me with aguero being the one

simon23 said:
[

fully agree

and as for the derby id go for one striker up front and back to the old formation.......otherwise we will get beaten badly

we have dominated united in recent meetings (even in the games we have lost)......we wont this time with our current tactics and team set up

back to 4-2-3-1 for me with aguero being the one

Many BM contributor's are saying that the scum are also playing badly, but do you honestly think they will come to us with any fear?

To the credit of Mancini, over the last 2 years or so, the scum have started to fear us, this could be seen by their less adventorous approach when playing us and the fact that we've won 3 of the the 4 last league games against them.

But I honestly worry what could happen to us on Sunday, unless we revert back to the previous style of play as you correctly suggest.

A heavy defeat could do untold damage to the player's and supporter's morale for the remainder of the season.

On the other hand a win would provide a huge lift to morale for everyone and give us belief that we are just going through a transition period.

For me the derby has come too early for my liking, because we haven't had the time to move to the new style yet (whatever formation it is), but the result on Sunday could have huge consequences for us.

BigOscar said:
We just don't seem able to keep possesion now that we've spread the midfield and playing 2 up front. 442 is just not a formation that works for possession football anymore. We need to go back to 4231 or to 433, get more men in central areas and start really controlling games again. Play with one upfront, but get runners from deep. We can't carry on how we have been, we are getting hugely exposed.

Or even a Chelsea style 4-1-4-1 or a 4-1-3-2. Anything to see a bit more energy in the side.

You can talk tactics when we have a settled side

The priority for the moment is on getting the team out on the pitch and coming through a difficult spell with a makeshift defence

We've done that. It could be key.

There were tactical faults at home to Hull I believe (no midfield), but the tactical decisions and selection Pellegrini made were sound (the key being pairing Garcia and Nasty).

We go into Plzen with players rested and morale raised. The fans may have doubts, but I think the players will know they have come through a difficult patch

When Kompany walked off the pitch I said to myself, Id have traded that for a couple of goals. We've really missed him. And it's hit twice as hard as his replacement also got injured and Richards wasn't able to step up

This is not the time to talk tactics when we don't have our first choice players. When we do, then you can criticise, or praise hopefully.

Marvin said:

The priority for the moment is on getting the team out on the pitch and coming through a difficult spell with a makeshift defence

There were tactical faults at home to Hull I believe (no midfield), but the tactical decisions and selection Pellegrini made were sound (the key being pairing Garcia and Nasty).

We go into Plzen with players rested and morale raised. The fans may have doubts, but I think the players will know they have come through a difficult patch

When Kompany walked off the pitch I said to myself, Id have traded that for a couple of goals. We've really missed him. And it's hit twice as hard as his replacement also got injured and Richards wasn't able to step up

This is not the time to talk tactics when we don't have our first choice players. When we do, then you can criticise, or praise hopefully.
Is this a wind up ?

Marvin said:

I think people are putting too much on the loss of kompany......yes he is our captain/leader and you can look at the defensive insecurites at the back and say losing him is a big factor in this and i would partly agree

However Im more bothered about what is going on in front of the

back four, particularly in the 10-15 yds in front of the center halves when we dont have the ball......esp when we have just lost the ball......we are WIDE open in midfield as both yaya and ferd are pressing really high and yaya doesnt have the mobility to get back quick enough to fill the gaps......

Also the fullbacks are pressing so high (instead of attacking when the time is right) that there are huge spaces in behind them (Ive never seen zabba dive into so many challenges high up the pitch and miss them leaving a huge space behind him!!!)

With the pressing so high as well when we do get the ball we also quickly lose it as other teams are right on top of us consequesntl there is little room in behind....teams are smoothering us and we are helping them to do it plus we often have a man less in midfield!!!!!!!!

None of this has ANYTHING to do with the loss of Kompany

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.