Tactical discussion

Huge tactical problems, no pace, no intensity, slow tiki-taka on our half, our long ball/crossing ability is so weak, players dont even look inside when crossing just cross the ball inside (Milner, Zabba, Navas), look at our corners we need 20 corners to have one where we have a touch on the crossed ball in the box.

Midfield duo is huge risk, even with Yaya-Rodwell or Yaya-Fernandinho. A trio would be better but for that Pellegrini has to have huge balls because we wouldnt play with two strikers from that moment.

Goalkeeper, back 4, 5 in midfield and one striker or alternatively a second striker who can play a deep lying role, Tevez was perfect for this but we haven't got anyone as effective now, this is the only way to go, we have to control the middle of the pitch, otherwise we'll win nowt.

simon23 said:
Marvin said:
You can talk tactics when we have a settled side

The priority for the moment is on getting the team out on the pitch and coming through a difficult spell with a makeshift defence

We've done that. It could be key.

There were tactical faults at home to Hull I believe (no midfield), but the tactical decisions and selection Pellegrini made were sound (the key being pairing Garcia and Nasty).

We go into Plzen with players rested and morale raised. The fans may have doubts, but I think the players will know they have come through a difficult patch

When Kompany walked off the pitch I said to myself, Id have traded that for a couple of goals. We've really missed him. And it's hit twice as hard as his replacement also got injured and Richards wasn't able to step up

This is not the time to talk tactics when we don't have our first choice players. When we do, then you can criticise, or praise hopefully.

I think people are putting too much on the loss of kompany......yes he is our captain/leader and you can look at the defensive insecurites at the back and say losing him is a big factor in this and i would partly agree

However Im more bothered about what is going on in front of the

back four, particularly in the 10-15 yds in front of the center halves when we dont have the ball......esp when we have just lost the ball......we are WIDE open in midfield as both yaya and ferd are pressing really high and yaya doesnt have the mobility to get back quick enough to fill the gaps......

Also the fullbacks are pressing so high (instead of attacking when the time is right) that there are huge spaces in behind them (Ive never seen zabba dive into so many challenges high up the pitch and miss them leaving a huge space behind him!!!)

With the pressing so high as well when we do get the ball we also quickly lose it as other teams are right on top of us consequesntl there is little room in behind....teams are smoothering us and we are helping them to do it plus we often have a man less in midfield!!!!!!!!

None of this has ANYTHING to do with the loss of Kompany

Yep,

I think one of the best teams in Europe at playing the high pressing game are Dortmund, when they came to our place last season they were seriously impressive, pressing high winning the ball and playing fast, intelligent football in our half of the pitch.

I thought that was the kind of style Pellegreni was going to adopt, but so far it couldn't be further away, currently we only have fernandinho in midfield who can actually press the ball as Yaya (great player as he is) is not mobile or fit enough to play that game, also playing with two wingers leaves us dreadfully exposed, which is what is making our defence look so poor.

I don't think Kompany will make any difference to that whatsoever.

We either need to play with more mobile ( all round midfielders) and continue to press the ball high, or play a style that suits the players we currently have in our squad.

Personally I would play ferdnandinho and Milner in centre mid to shield the defence but also break forward when possible. Put Yaya in front of them free from doing more defensive duties. Then play 3 up top who can interchange and find space where they can, maybe silva, aguero and navas.

The full backs can provide width, with Milner and dinho able to cover when needed, obviously navas if played would probably drift out wide as well.

I think playing a formation similar to this would suit our current squad better than persisting with whatever pellers is trying at the moment

The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:
Marvin said:

The priority for the moment is on getting the team out on the pitch and coming through a difficult spell with a makeshift defence

There were tactical faults at home to Hull I believe (no midfield), but the tactical decisions and selection Pellegrini made were sound (the key being pairing Garcia and Nasty).

We go into Plzen with players rested and morale raised. The fans may have doubts, but I think the players will know they have come through a difficult patch

When Kompany walked off the pitch I said to myself, Id have traded that for a couple of goals. We've really missed him. And it's hit twice as hard as his replacement also got injured and Richards wasn't able to step up

This is not the time to talk tactics when we don't have our first choice players. When we do, then you can criticise, or praise hopefully.

I think people are putting too much on the loss of kompany......yes he is our captain/leader and you can look at the defensive insecurites at the back and say losing him is a big factor in this and i would partly agree

back four, particularly in the 10-15 yds in front of the center halves when we dont have the ball......esp when we have just lost the ball......we are WIDE open in midfield as both yaya and ferd are pressing really high and yaya doesnt have the mobility to get back quick enough to fill the gaps......

Also the fullbacks are pressing so high (instead of attacking when the time is right) that there are huge spaces in behind them (Ive never seen zabba dive into so many challenges high up the pitch and miss them leaving a huge space behind him!!!)

With the pressing so high as well when we do get the ball we also quickly lose it as other teams are right on top of us consequesntl there is little room in behind....teams are smoothering us and we are helping them to do it plus we often have a man less in midfield!!!!!!!!

Yep,

I think one of the best teams in Europe at playing the high pressing game are Dortmund, when they came to our place last season they were seriously impressive, pressing high winning the ball and playing fast, intelligent football in our half of the pitch.

I thought that was the kind of style Pellegreni was going to adopt, but so far it couldn't be further away, currently we only have fernandinho in midfield who can actually press the ball as Yaya (great player as he is) is not mobile or fit enough to play that game, also playing with two wingers leaves us dreadfully exposed, which is what is making our defence look so poor.

We either need to play with more mobile ( all round midfielders) and continue to press the ball high, or play a style that suits the players we currently have in our squad.

Personally I would play ferdnandinho and Milner in centre mid to shield the defence but also break forward when possible. Put Yaya in front of them free from doing more defensive duties. Then play 3 up top who can interchange and find space where they can, maybe silva, aguero and navas.

The full backs can provide width, with Milner and dinho able to cover when needed, obviously navas if played would probably drift out wide as well.

I think playing a formation similar to this would suit our current squad better than persisting with whatever pellers is trying at the moment

this is exactly what it i think........

rodwell could also play alongside dihno instead of milner or instead of ferd.....

playing this way, one of them has to be disciplined in shielding the back 4....i think pellers at present has got the ballance all wrong and hasnt got the players to play he wans to play....therefore he must adapt...if it doesnt we could be in trouble as arsenall liverpoo evertonl spurs have all improved and chelsea will grind out results most weeks....utd have rvp.........if we arent careful we will miss out on 4th playing the way we are

Just give me a system whereby the players can actually start passing to each other again.
Completion of some of the basics is just totally not there at the moment.

I think the players we have tend to suit the following formation.

The players can change, it isn't my favoured 11 but the full backs bomb on, the defensive midfielder then drops into the back they become a back 3 when we have the ball, Yaya would be ideal for this but he's probably better going forward. It gives license to the wide forwards to cut inside and be overlapped while also controlling the middle of the park. It's pretty much the Barcelona way I suppose, but it's the system I think we should play. Fernandino has the stamina to make a big impact going forward and getting back and Yaya can then dictate the game.

It'll never happen, but I think it would suit us down to the ground personally.

829353_Manchester_City.jpg

The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:
Marvin said:

Yep,

He will make a huge difference as he did against Newcastle. Not only does he have the confidence and authority to push up and drive his midfield on. The midfield have the confidence to push up knowing he is behind them.<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:45 pm --<br /><br />
The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:
Marvin said:

Yep,

He will make a huge difference as he did against Newcastle. Not only does he have the confidence and authority to push up and drive his midfield on. The midfield have the confidence to push up knowing he is behind them.

blueparrot said:
The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:

Yep,

He will make a huge difference as he did against Newcastle. Not only does he have the confidence and authority to push up and drive his midfield on. The midfield have the confidence to push up knowing he is behind them.

-- Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:45 pm --

The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:

Yep,

but even in the newcastle game the holes in front of the back 4 were there and kompany was having to try and dive in to fill them.....you dont want your centre halves doing this time and time again...if he misses the player is straight through on goal...or worse he gets sent off for being the last man...........a playmaker who can shield the back 4 is vital////barry can do this....i have faith that dihno could do it and very well if he kept his disciple and dint bobm forward.........what is clear is that yaya cannt do it......we knew this before it was tried so why cannt MP see it

i agree with the formatios posted above as well

blueparrot said:
The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:

Yep,

-- Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:45 pm --

The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
simon23 said:

Yep,

Disagree, he is obviously our best defender but If he was playing in our current system even Kompany would be getting caught out, as there in no protection from midfield at all. Admittedly he would make some difference in organising and winning individual battles against the opposition but I don't think our overall performances would be much different

I think Pellegrini is trying to use an asymmetrical 4-4-2 with Silva/Nasri cutting in from the left and Navas/Milner playing wide on the right with a deep-lying striker (Aguero/Jovetic) playing behind a target man (Dzeko/Negredo). Then in midfield he wants Fernandinho and Yaya to take turns between the box-to-box role and deepl lying playmaker role.

In theory this can be a very good system, but it's just not working right now. The main problems are the midfield pivot and the wide man. Fernandinho and Yaya are supposed to be taking turns covering and going forward, but they just haven't gotten in sync. This is dangerous for the back 4 and as others have stated it would be better (unless they manage to sync) if one of them were accompanied by a CDM, which is why I was worried when Barry went. Now we only have 1 true CDM and that's Garcia. Not very encouraging. Milner, Rodwell, Yaya and Dinho are all box-to-box CMs so although they can play CDM, they would be either not very good at it or wasted there.

Then there's Navas. He's quick, he defends, okay. But from the crosses from him that I've seen in the cardiff and hull games he seems to be focused on running to a corner and passing to Zaba or just cross as fast as you can. The players (except Negredo) aren't used to fast crosses because of Mancini's system of slow lock-picking. In fact, you can see sometimes that the players seem to still retain Mancini's style (ex. passing sideways and backwards endlessly around the box, Yaya picking up the ball from defense and passing it to a forward player, only for it to be passed back to the defense).

Quite honestly I think Pellegrini has got his tactics theoretically right, it's just that the players are still adapting to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.