Terry Phelan's wondergoal v Spurs 1993

11 years ago to the day this thread was started, thought it was worth a bump considering the outrageous goal Terry scored that many younger blues won't know about. Shame it was during our shit era and the goal meant nothing in the game. Never seen anything quite like it, even to this day.

Great goal, as you say. As others said on this thread, a hugely disappointing day and typical of so many in years gone by.
That cup run got our hopes up only to be let down didn't it. Looking back ,I don't think we were that shit at that point as we had finished 5th in both of the previous 2 seasons. However, this result (and the crowd trouble) seemed to have a very negative impact on City and we did indeed become steadily more and more shit in the years to come .
Still, that's all the past and hopefully we have a couple of good cup runs to look foward to in the next few months.

11 years ago to the day this thread was started, thought it was worth a bump considering the outrageous goal Terry scored that many younger blues won't know about. Shame it was during our shit era and the goal meant nothing in the game. Never seen anything quite like it, even to this day.

One of those goals where the scorer just runs in an almost straight line while defenders fall over in front of him, haha.

Seen a few Spurs fans saying Sheringham once admitted that he missed a penalty (which would have made it 5-2?) on purpose because he was worried about what might have happened if he'd scored.

Been asked to write about my favourite City FA Cup goal and plumped for this.

Did anyone go on the pitch that day? Strange game, strange times.
Remember it well a pitch full of gazelle and semi flared needle cords and adidas first trackie tops what a goal by el tel he lived on the top of Dudley brew in Cheetham hill at the time sad day though .

As an FOC, I've only left two games early due to disappointment, one being this

At the time I was working for an Essex based company who had a box at Spurs
Every week I'd travel and spend one or two days in the office. That week I travelled down there on the Sunday evening after the game
I felt sick as I wanted to beat them so badly
In my working life I've been made redundant three times and that Monday rates amongst them as really shit days

Been asked to write about my favourite City FA Cup goal and plumped for this.

Did anyone go on the pitch that day? Strange game, strange times.
I was in the Platt Lane that day (Spuds had the North Stand!!), and as I was rushing down to get on the pitch I went past my Boss, so luckily stopped and re-evaluated and returned to my Seat!! ;-)

Last edited:
Very reminiscent of the blackburn 1/4 loss at ewood , without the pitch invasion.
A feeling that we were so near to winning that elusive trophy , even a trip to wembley for a semi was beyond our dreams.

The spurs game started so well with sheron scoring early on, ground going mental , but then spurs played us off the park and by time of phelans goal it was all over.
I spoke to a spurs fan a few years after on a hol who was there and although a few of them were game after we invaded the pitch, most really did not fancy it at all and were dreading the walk through moss side back to the station.

The blackburn game was different as it started and ended shite with a totally tepid shite performance and blue on blue fighting which is always horrible

Anyway, all worked out int end eh?

There was a game, against Coventry, I think, in the midweek after that and it seemed deserted to me. I think loads would have binned it off as they were so depressed.

There was a game, against Coventry, I think, in the midweek after that and it seemed deserted to me. I think loads would have binned it off as they were so depressed.
Yeah, I remember a picture of the Umbro stand for that midweek game and there was nobody in it, was either Coventry or Wimbledon I can't remember

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.