Tevez and Aguero

adrianr said:
CTID101 said:
Trying to justify choosing Dzeko over Tevez next to Aguero hilarious.

We perform miles better with Aguero and Tevez even if the stats in particular games don't show it.

Had we started with Tevez and Aguero we would have beat Real and Chelsea imo. Dzeko coming on and scoring as well probably.

This sounds suspiciously like "I don't care if the stats prove they're no good together, I chose to believe my eyes".

When we have played at our very very best, with the strikers scoring the goals, it was with Aguero and Dzeko at the beginning of last season. At the moment unfortunately all of our strikers, bar Dzeko off the bench, are shite. I can't believe how woeful Aguero looks at the moment, it's bloody worrying. You can extend that to all our forwards too. It's just our luck that with the best combined strike force in the country, and many other countries, we'd have them all in a barren patch at the same time.

Saying we've won all the games that Aguero and Tevez have started together is the sort of superstition that gets managers sacked too, because when it stops working you have absolutely no idea how to fix the problem. You have to figure out if it's that pairing that's winning us games or just a happy coincidence. Rags at home last season, neither did anything of note, Kompany scores from a set piece. Newcastle away, neither won the game for us, took a midfielder pushing up to score twice. QPR at home, the ultimate crunch game, what did they do together? Not a fat lot.

We have a better analytical department at City than Bluemoon, so I'm sure they'll have all the numbers backing up the lineups, along with the tactics etc of course. But there are too many games we've won with them together without them really effecting the game. Strikers are there for scoring. If you put them together and you're relying on defenders and midfielders to score, or Dzeko off the bench, is it really a good partnership? Should they not be doing it from the get go?

If you're of the belief that they run defences ragged and so tire easier, allowing us to score late on in games, then I would suggest we get strikers in who can score against defences before they get knackered, like plenty of others in world football. As that's a numbers game that can't work out for us forever.

Great post! Way too many people always want to revert back to Tevez-Aguero without really good evidence that it's the best choice.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Aguero come off the bench for the last 20-30 minutes a few times. Maybe he'd be a bit hungrier, and might thrive when the defence has been worn down by the starting strikers. Might be a way to get back his mojo.

tevez and aguero are our best partnership. dzeko is an impact sub, whenever he starts he is just bad (i like edin but this is the bitter truth). mario is mario so tevez and kun are our best partnership. i feel though that of our four strikers no one is clinical (except dzeko when he comes on as a sub). Don't be mistaken i say they are all great especially kun and after him carlos, but a player like cavani or falcao would take us a level above. maybe in the summer if we can offload two strikers like mario and edin (i don't think he'll stay playing as a sub) then we can get cavani as falcao i feel is chelsea bound.

adrianr said:
CTID101 said:
Trying to justify choosing Dzeko over Tevez next to Aguero hilarious.

We perform miles better with Aguero and Tevez even if the stats in particular games don't show it.

Had we started with Tevez and Aguero we would have beat Real and Chelsea imo. Dzeko coming on and scoring as well probably.

This sounds suspiciously like "I don't care if the stats prove they're no good together, I chose to believe my eyes".

When we have played at our very very best, with the strikers scoring the goals, it was with Aguero and Dzeko at the beginning of last season. At the moment unfortunately all of our strikers, bar Dzeko off the bench, are shite. I can't believe how woeful Aguero looks at the moment, it's bloody worrying. You can extend that to all our forwards too. It's just our luck that with the best combined strike force in the country, and many other countries, we'd have them all in a barren patch at the same time.

Saying we've won all the games that Aguero and Tevez have started together is the sort of superstition that gets managers sacked too, because when it stops working you have absolutely no idea how to fix the problem. You have to figure out if it's that pairing that's winning us games or just a happy coincidence. Rags at home last season, neither did anything of note, Kompany scores from a set piece. Newcastle away, neither won the game for us, took a midfielder pushing up to score twice. QPR at home, the ultimate crunch game, what did they do together? Not a fat lot.

We have a better analytical department at City than Bluemoon, so I'm sure they'll have all the numbers backing up the lineups, along with the tactics etc of course. But there are too many games we've won with them together without them really effecting the game. Strikers are there for scoring. If you put them together and you're relying on defenders and midfielders to score, or Dzeko off the bench, is it really a good partnership? Should they not be doing it from the get go?

If you're of the belief that they run defences ragged and so tire easier, allowing us to score late on in games, then I would suggest we get strikers in who can score against defences before they get knackered, like plenty of others in world football. As that's a numbers game that can't work out for us forever.
I believe that when we start with Aguero and Tevez our football is 10x better than with Dzeko. They both allow us to play the football we employ every week and the type of football that fucks up Dzeko.

I can't remember many games at all where I have thought Dzeko and Aguero look good together and in sync. Tevez and Aguero seem to be on the same wave length with the likes of Nasri and Silva.

I agree that they probably should impact the game more when they start and we shouldnt need Dzeko to come on and pull it out of the bag but thats the way it is working this season.

Its all just my opinion, I feel Aguero and Tevez work the best together even if stat X or Y shows different.

What I want to know is why Aguero seems to slip all the time in front of goal or in/around the box.

The cookie monster said:
jay_mcfc said:
The cookie monster said:
Every prem game they have started together we have won,this season and last.

If that's true then you can't really argue against it. But my own eyes tell me that the partnership hasn't ever properly clicked with the exception of the two games I mentioned earlier. Still, I can think of at least 18 other teams in the premier league that wouldn't mind it.
It is def true mate

So far in the League this season Aguero and Tevez started 5 games together and we have won all those 5 games. However out of those 5 games, 3 game winners were scored by players besides Aguero or Tevez.

Match Day 1, Nasri scores winner 3-2 vs Southampton.
Match Day 6, Dzeko scores winner 2-1 vs Fulham
Match Day 11, Dzeko scores winner 2-1 vs Tottenham.

The other 2 games were Tevez or Augero scored the winners were
Match Day 9, vs Swansea where Tevez scored the lone goal 1-0
Match Day 12, vs Aston Villa trashing where both had 2 goals a piece.

Probably our best partnership but IMO despite having three quality strikers besides him, we still haven't found the ideal strike partner for Aguero. He and Forlan had great chemistry at Atletico, I haven't seen Aguero strike up that perfect understanding with anyone here yet (even Tevez).

adorado30 said:
The cookie monster said:
jay_mcfc said:
If that's true then you can't really argue against it. But my own eyes tell me that the partnership hasn't ever properly clicked with the exception of the two games I mentioned earlier. Still, I can think of at least 18 other teams in the premier league that wouldn't mind it.
It is def true mate

So far in the League this season Aguero and Tevez started 5 games together and we have won all those 5 games. However out of those 5 games, 3 game winners were scored by players besides Aguero or Tevez.

Why you only picking winners from those games eh? What criteria is this?

Didn't either of Tevez and Kun score in those 3 games you highlight 1,6 and 11?

My godness, people need to wise up. The reality is they are by a long stretch our best combo, it doesn't mean the others won't contribute or score, it doesn't mean you don't love Edin or Mario either. Some days the 2 lads may not even score when together, but law of averages suggest they will because they are simply more involved and active and enjoy playing together more. That's indisputable at this stage.

To suggest Kun has been woeful as somebody suggests above is pig ignorant. The lad has scored in five of the last six games ffs. Get a grip please.

Rebelblue said:
adorado30 said:
The cookie monster said:
It is def true mate

Why you only picking winners from those games eh? What criteria is this?

Didn't either of Tevez and Kun score in those 3 games you highlight 1,6 and 11?

My godness, people need to wise up. The reality is they are by a long stretch our best combo, it doesn't mean the others won't contribute or score, it doesn't mean you don't love Edin or Mario either. Some days the 2 lads may not even score when together, but law of averages suggest they will because they are simply more involved and active and enjoy playing together more. That's indisputable at this stage.

To suggest Kun has been woeful as somebody suggests above is pig ignorant. The lad has scored in five of the last six games ffs. Get a grip please.

The discussion was that all the games where Tevez/Aguero have started, we have won. The game winners were picked as a criteria that show how we won those games and that without those game winning goals the game would have ended up being tied, hence the winning record where Tevez/Aguero started. It was only used for that purpose.

Yes, Match 1, 6 and 11 Tevez/Aguero have scored as well. Match 1 Tevez 1-0, Match 6 Aguero 1-0, and Match 11 Aguero 1-1.

without a dream said:
noise said:
Rebelblue said:
* Man City have failed to win any of the five games started by Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko this season.

Surely no one left in any doubt that CT and Kun are our best pairing?

Your skills of deduction are unparalleled, let's drill into the stupidity toghether:

Real Madrid - Man City: Aguero-Tevez. Would have been 2-0 for Real Madrid but of course Dzeko scored as a sub.
Noise you are totally relentless mate !

Man City - Real Madrid: Aguero-Dzeko, Dzeko assits Aguero, who falls winning a penalty. 1-1 draw.

So based on my comparison against one of the best teams in the world (also Dzeko has gotten starts against the tougher opponents), the facts actually favor Dzeko.

NOt sure what point you're trying to make there, everyone knows Dzeko is our best sub ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.