Tevez For Eto'o...Straight Swap?

ethan23 said:
peterctid said:
Puts tin hat on

Why dont we swap Balo and Tevez for Sneijder and Eto.

do you even believe what your suggesting

Yes,

Balo will eventually leave- much as I love him and he is certainly the most talented player I have seen for his age, eventually, the whispering campaign will get too much and we will be back in the "is he leaving, yes/no situation that where are in with Carlos. Carlos wants out anyway.

Sneijder and Eto will make us stronger for the CL.

okstate99 said:
Chick Counterfly said:
Mancio said:
he could be worth another 10M less since tomorrow if he fail to come back in manchester...

Amongst other players, I know Mascherano did this last summer (and he is linked to Kia). But Mascherano already had a concrete offer from Barca.

I don't remember any top players 'walking out' without a clear destination.

Maybe he does have a destination.

'Clear' was probably the operative word. Without a concrete offer, a club already putting their cold hard cash on the line... how can he be absolutely sure that the bid will be forthcoming? And it would be rather unseemly if another club came in for him whilst he was on striker. Opportunistic would be one word... others are Extremely Dubious Practise, Contract Rebels, Tapping Up. Big clubs tend to be fairly conservative in such matters. Inter and City, like Barca and City, have a very good working relationship. Delaying a bid until after he's refused to return might well cross a line.

kennycar said:
sbm said:
This thread highlights yet again the ignorance of many Tevez fans about his status in world football. He is currently 44th in the Castrol World Rankings. Having scored the same number of goals for Argentina as Aguero in twice the number of matches, he is at best the 3rd ranking of the Argentine strikers. He scored just 7 goals in 26 appearances for West Ham. Scoring 19 goals in 63 appearances for United, he was Ferguson's 3rd choice striker. From August 2009 to the end of November 2009, he scored just 2 premier league goals for City (both at home against West Ham).

From December 2009 to his transfer request in December 2010, he was, indeed, highly prolific. But it has to be noted that City's offensive strategy over that period was focused almost entirely on creating opportunities for him to score. He also did little to disguise his hostility towards the manager responsible for his most productive period ever.

Following the withdrawal of his transfer request, his goal contribution was nothing remarkable, though the desire to win the Golden Boot did bring out a special performance in the last match of the season. At the end of the day, he shared the Golden Boot with Berbatov, who did not take penalties and who would be ranked by most observers as United's 3rd best striker.

Way back in November 2009, Tevez talked to the Argentine media about retiring after the World Cup - yes, last summer. No doubt much to the consternation of Joorabchian, he has continued to talk about early retirement even with a transfer request on the table (this incidentally disproves the convenient fiction created by Tevez fans that Joorabchian is responsible for any and all of his aberrations).

The repeated assertion that, even if he is forced to stay at City, he will always give 100% is at best a half truth: he will give a 100% for himself. Conclusive proof that he sees other strikers as rivals was provided by the disgraceful way he froze out Edin Dzeko last season: he passed just half a dozen times in total to Edin in the Premier League games against Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester United, West Brom, Fulham and Liverpool (source: Guardian Chalkboard). (I know I have pointed this out a few times! But no Tevez fan has ever addressed it.)

Tevez is worth what other teams would pay for him. The idea that top clubs would be competing fiercely for Tevez this summer was always a delusion. But what is astonishing is that the penny has still not dropped with some Tevez fans. They are so blinkered that they want only that he stay, even though he himself is desperate to leave and even though his staying could seriously impact on the team spirit that has been evident since Vincent Kompany took over as captain.

In contrast, Samuel Eto'o has always been and still is a class act! Edin, Kun and Mario would all benefit from the experience of playing with him for two or three seasons. The whole squad would benefit from his experience at the highest levels.
Castrol world football what? I searched it up and that is the biggest pile of rubbish I've ever seen, Karim Benzema as second best player in the world?

Berbatov above Villa, Lampard above Xavi and Inesta. And If you're going to quote that, Eto'o is number 38, 17 places below Maxi Rodriguez. Let's get Maxi Rodriguez then. And if you're going to go off his form for Argentina, how shit is Messi?

I don't think it's fair to go off his form from 3 years ago either, we all know he started really performing a couple of months into his first season for us, but since then he hasn't looked back and neither should we.

When we had Anelka, we got rid of him partly because lot's of city fans thought we played better when Macken and Fowler were on the pitch, despite Anelka being our top scorer. Lots of fans would come out with statistics about win percentages because you can always find statistics to prove anything. Tevez was one of the best players at the world cup, but you've conveniently ignored that.

And lastly, I'm not surprised he didn't pass to Dzeko last season, Dzeko lost the ball instantly whenever he was passed to, now I like Dzeko, and I think he's gonna be a decent 2nd/3rd choice striker, but last season he was dog awful.

I'm not saying we should keep Tevez at all costs, but he is thought of very highly in Europe and we should get our money's worth. £45m at the very least. Eto'o isn't worth that at 30.

Since my post has attracted quite a few adverse comments I would like to say a few things in response:

(1) I have taken no pleasure from arguing consistently over the last few months that we need to sell Tevez if we are to progress as a team. This time last year he was my favourite City player; I wanted to call our new puppy 'Tevez' (my wife would not agree); and my fervent hope for the World Cup was that he be the Player of the Tournament. He wasn't but I will not dwell on that. The point here is that I can easily understand why some / many City fans love him.

(2) He did not go from 'hero' to 'zero' in my eyes overnight . Over the first half of last season, I became increasingly concerned (by lots of seemingly little things) that he plays for himself. His submitting a transfer request as a response to being taken off in the Bolton game did not help. But what really convinced me that we need to sell him was that in the second half of the season the selfish nature of his play became more blatant, with the extreme manifestation being the way he shut out Dzeko (particularly after the Aris game in which Dzeko, instead of returning Tevez's pass, scored his second goal of the game.) The fact that team spirit thrived under the captaincy of Vincent Kompany came as no surprise whatsoever to me.

(3) I followed Bluemoon for quite a while before I registered. Having registered, I went several months before posting anything, largely because I did not want to get embroiled in some of the arguments (notably the pro versus anti Mancini stuff). I started posting partly because I felt so strongly about the importance of selling Tevez and partly because I expected some utterly unfair assessments of Dzeko at the end of the season to which I would feel compelled to respond. In fact, I have been pleased that most Bluemooners have actually been very sensible about Dzeko and, indeed, some of his worst critics had the grace to take back some of their more extreme crticisms after the Inter match. But the sort of DRIVEL that I have highlighted in blue above is precisely what I was afraid of.

(4) I am grateful for what Tevez has done for City, particularly in his first season, and I hope he finds happiness - but at another club. If he was still my favourite player, I would hope that he found such a club right now and not be forced to return to City. But what really worries me is that, if he stays, we are going to get those whose love of Tevez overrides everything else seizing on every mistake by Dzeko or Balotelli or Aguero to argue that Tevez should be an automatic starter in every big game,that Mancini does not play him to best advantage,.., blah, blah, blah.

A major factor in Tevez value is his wages.

No one is going to pay £40-50m for him and have anything left for his £10m a year wages.

City will either have to compromise or be stuck with him. That would be through either reducing the asking price or paying him to leave. As has been pointed out, bidders aren't exactly queuing up.

It's a crap situation but by swapping him with Eto'o City can improve the team without spending any money.

Wages are so often ignored but they are often a bigger factor than the fee. If the likes of Adebayor and Bellamy weren't on such massive money there would be a queue of premier league clubs desperate to pay big money for them.

peterctid said:
Puts tin hat on

Why dont we swap Balo and Tevez for Sneijder and Eto.

Tin hat ?? sorry but the hat you need fella is pointy and has a "D" on on it.

We almost bought Eto’o for 26m 2 years ago when he was aged 27, why we would swap him now for a striker worth at least 40m is beyond me.

He’s still a great player, but any swap deal would need to be accompanied by about 20m in cash coming our way.

Bunk said:
We almost bought Eto’o for 26m 2 years ago when he was aged 27, why we would swap him now for a striker worth at least 40m is beyond me.

He’s still a great player, but any swap deal would need to be accompanied by about 20m in cash coming our way.

Oh dear, he is not worth £40M! Why would anyone want to pay that for a player who in 2 years time could retire and if he doesnt then he will almost certainly want to move on and cause alot of shit in the process.

As for Eto'o he had his best season last year scoring alot more than Tevez did. Oh and it seems we owe Inter around £10M for the Balotelli deal, so if that is the case no money will be coming this way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.