The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Back in Feb 2023 here... (before my time)...
A few months ago, I was speculating what type of album would appeal to everybody. Well, if we ignore the single "5" vote, then such an album may look a lot like J.J.Cale's Naturally.

We might as well stop the scoring now, because I'm pretty sure that @OB1's pick will live on forever at the top of the table. In a Roger Bannisteresque slice of history, Naturally has become the first album to break the 8-point barrier.
14 votes at an average of 8.14 is such a gargantuan tally that I'm running out of superlatives.

So I finally got to listen to this top of the list selection since I didn't have 10 tracks to submit today (LOL), and I'll echo the sentiments and reviews here on this album. Just a fantastic piece of work.

A few notes to both the album and thread here at the time.
  1. The overall mellowness to it really stood out and what an influential artist to many that would come after.
  2. "Call Me the Breeze" and "After Midnight" versions were something special.
  3. "Magnolia" was a tremendous song. The harmonica on "Clyde" was nice too.
  4. It was interesting to read the comments and feedback from most everyone scoring this a 9, even the ones not usually known for that (they know who they are!)
  5. Seeing Coatigan all over the clues again just for Gornik to swoop in for the W, let me know "the more things change..." ;-)
  6. Foggy was also MIA here. Hmm, now I don't feel so bad on my first selection. ;-) @Saddleworth2 considering Radiohead for the next pick given that absence made me Smile too.
  7. Oh, and the vinyl vs. CD debate throughout the week was some good side-entertainment too. Unlike threespires, I still have my albums, because there just aren't as many. Most of Springsteen until 1984 I have, and a few others I'll be going through in the next few months. My cassettes were what got tossed once I replaced them with CDs, and I still have those over my better half's suggestion that they need to go too. Not on my watch! ;-)
Anyways, kudos again to @OB1 for this selection, and reading the backstory on him finding it in the 90's was great too.

Last edited:
WTF is this thread about?
Anyway it was fifty seven years ago today.....
We listen to and review a nominated album each week. Rules on page #1.

Occasionally, we’ll have a break (like this week) and put a playlist together trying to guess who picked what.

It’s a lot more sensible and obvious than many threads on here :)

WTF is this thread about?
Anyway it was fifty seven years ago today.....
Hmm, wiki is telling me it was 26/5/1967, so maybe we missed it by a few days? I guess it may depend on which country we're talking about.

Most (all?) of us can translate the lyric you quoted too, so you might be in the right place!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.