The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

The thing with gambles is they can come in pairs. So had I stuck with Rob for Kevin Mcdermott, then that also frees up Dougle so you can wnd up with unlocking more right answers. But get one wrong, you then get at least a couple wrong.

Glad I came away clean in that one, though I did have Rob as a second place on CH.

At the end of the day, I think @southamptonblue just really liked Instinct, but I went a bit harder for his selection more on the alternative and less on the indie, and gave him the other choice I had you associated with, so the circle of life and all that...
I just 'really do'... despite not owning an album of theirs!! You could say, my obvious like of bands from 'down under' was a bit obvious, or equally my main taste that I've mentioned before (but not nominated in the album thread) of 80's rock, I thought a few would think I'd nominated Metallica ;)
Maybe hiding in plain sight, although not intentionally, is the way to go!

Thank you. I saw her live last year on Austin City Limits, and the live performance of that song alone simply blew me away. The studio version made it to my top Tailgating track list of favourites, and I enjoy it and her Americana album immensely. I like the live version she did at ACL, but that wasn't on Spotify.

Had her on today and really enjoying. It's all quite slick but as Scroobius didn't say "thou shalt not sneer at well written songs just because they've got glossy production values".

We were PMing each other about his selection, and I mentioned I would have needed an Aphex Twin track to move him off of the Pale Fountains, or maybe @shackattack as part of this, but that wasn't the case. If not LGWIO for that, then who??

I think I was the only mug who didn't go for our resident scally for that pick. I originally had Benny down for Ian McNabb but then talked myself into the idea that because he'd expressed disappointment with the Michael Head pick, he'd circled back round to the Pale Fountains, doh.

The reason I gave her track to you in my guess was because I had no idea on what you picked as I had you down for 4-5 tracks, but never Leonard Cohen. @BlueHammer85 was the one who defended that album the most, so I had to peg that on him.

There's undoubtedly a few hurdles to get over with Cohen but for me he's well worth it irrespective of the fact it sometimes go awry. I love that song because it's got an arrangement and production that on paper is everything I loath but the quality of the song and (brace yourselves) the vocal delivery is just so good that all else is forgiven. As a bit of a reinvention the I'm Your Man Album was top stuff in my opinion; I'm sure I read somewhere that album was the first time that, the 25 years younger, Rebecca De Mornay became aware of him which if true was not a bad result.

There's undoubtedly a few hurdles to get over with Cohen but for me he's well worth it irrespective of the fact it sometimes go awry. I love that song because it's got an arrangement and production that on paper is everything I loath but the quality of the song and (brace yourselves) the vocal delivery is just so good that all else is forgiven. As a bit of a reinvention the I'm Your Man Album was top stuff in my opinion; I'm sure I read somewhere that album was the first time that, the 25 years younger, Rebecca De Mornay became aware of him which if true was not a bad result.
You not originally being around here to review that album also lessened my chances of getting that one correct. I didn't have the presence to connect the dots either. As previously noted, I felt I had no shot at picking your selection, so I tagged you with mine.

And I DO like that song, but I think if every time I found a Rob chime in with 'misogyny' on LC I got a pound, I'd have more of a few of them jangling in my pocket too. :-)

But me...? I still prefer the R.E.M. version of that track from 1992 that I've enjoyed immensely since I heard it back then as a non-album song. Michael Stipe does LC quite well, and Mike Mills taking on the harmonies from the original is vintage REM to me. I always liked REM songs best that featured both Mikes on vocals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.