The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

We had 15 nominations back in December, and 7 was the high water mark then, so it's been done before (by process of elimination "I [was] Easy To Find"). With no mystery submissions this round that I don't have the history to not pinpoint, maybe I'll have a chance this time. :-)

LGWIO and I submitted first and second back then, but I plan to wait until a certain top of the leaderboard entrant submits this time! ;-)

1Mancitydoogle7
2Black&White&BlueMoon Town6
3Coatigan3
4BimboBob3
5LGWIO2
6homerdog1
7threespires0
Hmm think you’ve got my tactics sussed.

I think this is a double bluff, the deliberately incorrect name to lure people into thinking he's trying too hard to disguise his pick. He's not wrong though, it is a great track.
Or triple bluff.
See who knows her, that might correct him?
He’s on to you. Rob.

Is a good track though. I wouldn’t have been into her rockabilly stuff, but that is catchy, tbf.

‘Interesting’ fact about the Woodstock track - at least 4 versions of this were released by different artists in 1970. My personal preference is the CSN&Y version
Can’t beat Joni.
The heartbreaking version of her on piano, where she tells how she got left behind by CSNY on the Johnny Carson show or some such. They flew to the concert but had no room for her.
She went on to write the definitive song about the concert she never made it to.

What a woman. What an artist.

We had 15 nominations back in December, and 7 was the high water mark then, so it's been done before (by process of elimination "I [was] Easy To Find"). With no mystery submissions this round that I don't have the history to not pinpoint, maybe I'll have a chance this time. :-)

LGWIO and I submitted first and second back then, but I plan to wait until a certain top of the leaderboard entrant submits this time! ;-)

1Mancitydoogle7
2Black&White&BlueMoon Town6
3Coatigan3
4BimboBob3
5LGWIO2
6homerdog1
7threespires0
I know that’s English but I didn’t understand a word.

Or triple bluff.
See who knows her, that might correct him?
He’s on to you. Rob.

Is a good track though. I wouldn’t have been into her rockabilly stuff, but that is catchy, tbf.

It's definitely different from her earlier albums and I would argue the better for it too. Might be coincidence but seemed to change direction around the time she divorced from her bandmate husband.

Btw nice to see both you and @Saddleworth2 back in these parts...

End of Round #8 Playlist - June 2024

Thought I'd post the playlist again along with all the other relevant info. An yes, it is a very strong and varied playlist.

Remember:-

1. Closing date for guesses is next Sunday (9th June).
2. Send you top 10 from the list to me in a PM.
3. If you want a crack at winning the prestigious guessing championship, the list of nominators is below. Put your guesses as to who picked what track in a post in this thread.

Playlist

Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys
Instinct - Crowded House
Woodstock by Joni Mitchell
You must be prepared to dream - Ian McNabb
We Could Send Letters - Aztec Camera
Breathe - Imelda May
Everything Falls Apart - Dogs Eye View
Old Place - Nick Waterhouse
For Those In Peril From The Sea - Kevin McDermott Orchestra
Goodbye To Love - The Carpenters
One Trick Ponies - Kurt Vile
Escape - Metallica
Black Dog/White Horse - Big Special
The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Palm Of My Hand - The Pale Fountains
The Runner - Allison Russell
Line of Fire - Junip
Substitution - Silversun Pickups
First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen
And here we test our powers of observation - The Bad Plus

Nominmators

(In alphabetical order)

bennyboy
BimboBob
Black&White&BlueMoon Town
BlueHammer85
Coatigan
FogBlueInSanFran
GoatersLeftShin
GornikDaze
journolud
LGWIO
mancity111
mancity2012_eamo
Mancitydoogle
OB1
Out on blue 6
RobMCFC
Saddleworth2
southamptonblue
stoneblue
threespires

Only just seen this.
will download and give a listen for my forthcoming holiday .
some great selections.
that Junip one a great track and one i would sooner or later nominate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.