The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

First listen today and I realised I had heard a few of these previously. Certainly remeniscent of abit of Mellencamp and also thought abit of some Billy Joel.
Didn't really listen intently as was writing up some work stuff but washed over me quite pleasantly. A few listens whilst on my commute into work over the weekend will give me a better idea....... but so far so good.

Well a few folks have already docked this a point for being a Greatest Hits record, and I did it to Thin Lizzy. GH/Live aren’t artistic statements — they’re money grabs, plain and simple (often by the record companies).

It’s kind of a relative score thing — it’s easier to make a Greatest Hits “great” song for song than a conventional studio record, so my view is that it’s not fair to compare scores of GH vs. a standard release.

Yeah I did, although reading spires' analysis, I should have added it a point as with this one it seems to have worked against it. I.e picking out very similar commercially viable songs.

IMO when they sacked off the psychedelia was when it all went wrong for Quo but their bank balances would resoundingly say otherwise.
Interesting to me, as was your previous post. We are probably a similar age, but I reckon my musical tastes are probably the polar opposite of yours! I guess a lot of it comes down to hearing something that led you down a certain path - that and maybe your peer groups.

Interesting to me, as was your previous post. We are probably a similar age, but I reckon my musical tastes are probably the polar opposite of yours! I guess a lot of it comes down to hearing something that led you down a certain path - that and maybe your peer groups.

They'll be some overlap somewhere! 70s rock has never been a big thing for me but even though I was more musically aligned to the ska/mod kids at school I probably had more in common more broadly speaking with the less 'cool' kids with their deep purple and rainbow rising patches; this despite the fact that as far as I can remember none of the rock bunch had any interest in football. So I did listen to stuff on the QT and as I've got older i'd say I have maybe an appreciation rather than an ingrained love of it.

My musical tastes are arguably a bit random and contradictory but nowhere near as much as Bimbo's !!

Yeah I did, although reading spires' analysis, I should have added it a point as with this one it seems to have worked against it. I.e picking out very similar commercially viable songs.

I would say based on my now extensive (aka 3 days worth) knowledge of his back catalogue that had the choice been Ramblin Gamblin Man or maybe Noah, we'd be in solid 7/10 territory. As it is, we're nowhere near this but I suppose that's the joy of music, one man's greatest hit is another man's uninspiring generic drone.

You know what they say.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but that 4.87 average will hurt forever.

4.87 ?? Fucking amateur hour.

Perversely once it was clear which way the wind was blowing on my last pick, part of me thought fuck it, at least if I get a 3.x score it'll have some sort of infamy..but no just the ignominy of the bottom of the pile.

No, I was joking.

Score hiding is against the spirit of the thread.
When I saw your comment I thought you were genuine Rob.

I think that Fog's response has influenced you to have a change of heart (LOL).

Gornik is more than capable of going toe to toe with Fog on a point of difference starting with a goad perhaps veiled towards Fog and anybody else who believes BS is overrated as anybody scoring this a 10 has to be goading.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.