The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

That was a very interesting read. A few times over. Through most of that though, (i.e you liking the vulnerability, honesty and openess, relatability, roughness etc), I found myself thinking one thing. You should really listen to more Frightened Rabbit stuff. I've mentioned it before, although musically quite different, that was something this album reminded me of, and that's always a welcome with me.

On it.

Brief distraction (doesn't have to be) from the album at hand, given it's nearly the 1st of December.

@Black&White&BlueMoon Town , you ever listened to The Gritterman album?

If you have, here's a wee side story. If you have not, boy are you in for a treat! And a wee side story.

As a little tradition, every 1st Dec, a pal and I (individually) listen to the whole album in one go, to kick off the Christmas build-up. It is lovely wintery christmassy work, some of the bits on it are just stunning. It doesn't lend itself to skips, songs in isolation or out of turn, so it's a do it right or don't at all job. And Rob, despite the name, it's got absolutely zero grit! Some people watch Home Alone or Die Hard every year, some listen to christmas radio, we do this. We don't listen to it the other months of the year, it is reserved for December. And I can't wait till tomorrow!

Open suggestion to anyone, but you in particular I think would like it.

Good stuff!

Like everyone it seems , I only know ‘Sexy Boy’ and really love that track, got such a great reverb futuristic sound. Unfortunately it lost to James (Born Of Frustration) in the Cup as that was a strong choice.

Anyhow, absolutely no clue about them so look forward to exploring this.

Not like everyone: I have 3 or 4 Air albums, including this one.

Brief distraction (doesn't have to be) from the album at hand, given it's nearly the 1st of December.

If you have, here's a wee side story. If you have not, boy are you in for a treat! And a wee side story.

As a little tradition, every 1st Dec, a pal and I (individually) listen to the whole album in one go, to kick off the Christmas build-up. It is lovely wintery christmassy work, some of the bits on it are just stunning. It doesn't lend itself to skips, songs in isolation or out of turn, so it's a do it right or don't at all job. And Rob, despite the name, it's got absolutely zero grit! Some people watch Home Alone or Die Hard every year, some listen to christmas radio, we do this. We don't listen to it the other months of the year, it is reserved for December. And I can't wait till tomorrow!

I have not ever heard it, so sign me up for Dec 1 tomorrow for a full, no skip, start to finish listen! Thanks for the advanced heads up. Nothing gets sampled until tomorrow. ;-) I'm assuming this is also by Orlando Weeks.

My Christmas movie musts are Christmas Vacation (Cousin Eddie RV/camper humor lovers unite!), A Christmas Story, and Love Actually. If Die Hard is on, it gets watched, but not a must for me (too many prior watches). I have a nice Christmas Rock mix I'll play (many from the "Very Special Christmas series"), but probably nothing to compare to this album.

Thanks!

Never heard of the Gritterman but having just read a bit about it will give it a listen tomorrow.

Meanwhile this week’s choice has come along at the right time for me as I continue to convalesce from my knee replacement it kind of suits my mood and my level of activity

I have not ever heard it, so sign me up for Dec 1 tomorrow for a full, no skip, start to finish listen! Thanks for the advanced heads up. Nothing gets sampled until tomorrow. ;-) I'm assuming this is also by Orlando Weeks.

My Christmas movie musts are Christmas Vacation (Cousin Eddie RV/camper humor lovers unite!), A Christmas Story, and Love Actually. If Die Hard is on, it gets watched, but not a must for me (too many prior watches). I have a nice Christmas Rock mix I'll play (many from the "Very Special Christmas series"), but probably nothing to compare to this album.

Thanks!
While opinions about art are varied, there are a few facts about art. Here’s one of them: “A Christmas Story” is the greatest Christmas movie ever made. Saying otherwise is like saying 1 + 1 = 389. It’s not sappy or sentimental or doe-eyed or has any lessons. It is what it says: a Christmas story. It’s effectively perfect.

While opinions about art are varied, there are a few facts about art. Here’s one of them: “A Christmas Story” is the greatest Christmas movie ever made. Saying otherwise is like saying 1 + 1 = 389. It’s not sappy or sentimental or doe-eyed or has any lessons. It is what it says: a Christmas story. It’s effectively perfect.

Die Hard

Lol I know — just a dumb comment I heard once. When else will I have a chance to repeat it?
Wasn't criticising, just emphasing your point was accurate in this case. In fact, the only French band I can think of that rocks is Shakin' Street and they needed to get am American on board.

Cries of what about Johnny Hallyday should be ignored.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.