The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Wasn't criticising, just emphasing your point was accurate in this case. In fact, the only French band I can think of that rocks is Shakin' Street and they needed to get am American on board.

Cries of what about Johnny Hallyday should be ignored.
If only Plastic Bertrand wasn’t from Belgium ;)

Reactions: OB1
Never heard of the Gritterman but having just read a bit about it will give it a listen tomorrow.

Meanwhile this week’s choice has come along at the right time for me as I continue to convalesce from my knee replacement it kind of suits my mood and my level of activity

Perfect winter day for it too, here at least. The narration is part of it, the songs tend to weave in and out, which is why it doesn't lend itself to skipping.

Whilst we wait for the next album, I just wanted to check in with a few people.

@BimboBob - Hope you are feeling OK at the moment - A morning cleaning the bathroom suggests you are up to taking your place on 13th December - but as ever, just let me know what you want to do.

A couple of people not seen in here for a while, including next week's nominator, please let me know if you are OK to take your slot:-

06/12/2023 @Gareth Barry Conlon
10/01/2024 @denislawsbackheel

Everbody else - be prepared to move up a week or two if there are any dropouts.
Hi, Rob. Your right I've been busy lately and not on as much. I do have a good album in mind but on the basis I don't really post in here I'm happy to be kicked out of the gang.

Oh boy, and wow, did I miss that...

Orlando Weeks as in the former lead singer of the Maccabees. (mind blown!)

Tears of joy hearing him first sing in "Angels Singing" and recognizing who I was listening to. Brilliant!

Yeah, I partly deliberately did not play that up, in case you hadn't heard it before, left a tiny bit of intrigue.

He wanted to do something different, he certainly did something different. It is a very well put together piece of work, that I think showcases some real skill and intellect as a musician, beyond the indie 'cookie-cutter brit template'. Seasonal Hero is for me the standout song on it, but the whole thing has a lovely feel to it. And it is the rare time of the year it is really relevant.

Did one run through the album at hand today, didn't have to split it up which I often do, so that's saying something.

Yeah, I partly deliberately did not play that up, in case you hadn't heard it before, left a tiny bit of intrigue.
You got me good, and well done!
He wanted to do something different, he certainly did something different. It is a very well put together piece of work, that I think showcases some real skill and intellect as a musician, beyond the indie 'cookie-cutter brit template'. Seasonal Hero is for me the standout song on it, but the whole thing has a lovely feel to it. And it is the rare time of the year it is really relevant.
It's quite impressive on the whole and I agree on "Seasonal Hero" and his homage to his Joy. "Angels Singing" blew me away in hearing Orlando's singing from the spoken voice narration of Paul Whitehouse being solely heard prior. I love the ticking clock and background sounds throughout. It's always the same, you dress for the sun, and down comes the rain.

The final song of "When All is Said and Done" really closes the album appropriately where the narrator makes his last run as the Gritterman going all out (beyond the A roads and the B roads). The part that begins I had friends to take me dancing... until the final words is just an amazing piece of writing and a vocal and musical performance.

Did one run through the album at hand today, didn't have to split it up which I often do, so that's saying something.
Full through in one listen, and will listen again around Air's album of the week, which is off to a good start!

While opinions about art are varied, there are a few facts about art. Here’s one of them: “A Christmas Story” is the greatest Christmas movie ever made. Saying otherwise is like saying 1 + 1 = 389. It’s not sappy or sentimental or doe-eyed or has any lessons. It is what it says: a Christmas story. It’s effectively perfect.
I was completely unaware of the N.American tradition and phenomenon that is “A Christmas Story”. It’s bizarre and often rubbish but in an endearing way. The narration is occasionally brilliant. The actors ham it up in a way that I assume is intentional.

I hate to dispute your facts but it is not the greatest Christmas movie ever made.

I was completely unaware of the N.American tradition and phenomenon that is “A Christmas Story”. It’s bizarre and often rubbish but in an endearing way. The narration is occasionally brilliant. The actors ham it up in a way that I assume is intentional.

I hate to dispute your facts but it is not the greatest Christmas movie ever made.
There isn’t another movie around about Christmas — meaning an actual Christmas. Like the one families have. That shows the way families act or used to. It’s about how people are every day, middle class people. How parents and children are in the real world.

Every other Xmas movie has magic or some fantastical boy meets girl story line or some other such bullshit, or it’s Die Hard.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.