The Art Thread

I saw one of Kline's 'Blue' paintings in The Collection in Lincoln. Just something about a huge square of board covered in that deep blue paint.
That’s Yves Kleine, a French member of the European Nouveau Realisme movement of the 1960s. I love his works too, but I was referring to Frank Kline of the 1940/50s US Abstract Impressionism movement.

My all time favourite is JMW Turner’s ‘Fighting Temeraire’ and I have a print on canvas brought from the National Gallery.

Another favourite is ‘The beheading of St. John the Baptist’ by Caravaggio which is on display in Malta’s Co-Cathedral. It is huge and absolutely brilliant.
It has been on my list for years.Will have to make a serious effort to go sometime.
The Caravaggio one.

Mrs KS is a talented painter, mainly abstracts. She is essentially a colourist. Our house is full of her work and much admired by visitors. Also a fund of knowledge to this Philistine.
We have the Hockney gallery not far away in Saltaire. Well worth a visit.
The Hockney gallery is an excellent visit

There isn't really a thread to discuss art, in all its many many formats, you uncultured slobs. So here goes.

1. Painting/Mural. Edward Mucnh - The Sun (1911)

A less famous cousin of The Scream, this huge mural emanates hope and light and power. The lines draw you in, everything is drawn to the sun. It's also slightly otherworldly to me. I like the colours, a lot.

View attachment 119073

2. Painting. Piet Mondrian - Composition with Large Red Plane, Yellow, Black, Gray, and Blue (1921)

I am not a big fan of these Mondrian abstracts, i think they're ok and in fact i prefer his impressionistic work on trees, but it was a visit to the Tate Modern and a free tour that included this painting, that made me understand abstract art just a little bit (from very little to very little plus a tiny bit). Mondrian was obsessed with the lines and form in nature, and potential reduction and simplification, and also the quest to remove the non-essential and represent pure abstraction of the soul. Looking at a timeline of his paintings, you can see trees and such become ever boxier sets of lines, and how this painting came about. In my own opinion, I don't think it's a coincidence that this painting was done post WW1 and this form took shape during the war.

View attachment 119072

3. Play. William Shakespeare - Love's Labour's Lost.

I went to see this play this year, I haven't seen many Shakespeare plays live (3?), but i thoroughly enjoyed this one, it felt accessible, funny, and strangely relevant for a 400 yr old work. Centred on love, finding it, repressing it, and convention, it felt like watching incels and tinder at points. Human nature has not changed, just the tools with which we express it.

what do you like?
This is a brilliant thread.

That’s Yves Kleine, a French member of the European Nouveau Realisme movement of the 1960s. I love his works too, but I was referring to Frank Kline of the 1940/50s US Abstract Impressionism movement.
I thought you'd just misspelled it. I wasn't aware of Frank Kline. Mrs Tache could probably reel of his bio though.

Just a few that immediately spring to mind, these guys get my juices going.

Canaletto
Hopper
Lucien Freud
Oskar Kokochka
Hockney
Rembrandt
Monet

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.