"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

THe money to be made is insane as well. Muddy Knees claimed to have 500,000 listeners per episode last year, and the average rate for podcast advertisers is roughly $18 per 1000 listeners for a 30 second ad and can be up to $40.

Each episode has at least 4 ads, so you're talking £40k an episode.

According to YouGov, it's the second most popular radio programme for men in the country -

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/media/explore/radio_programme/The_Totally_Football_Show

And it's main demographic is Men 21-40 which is a gold mine for advertisers.
Just to counter that, I believe Jimbo earns a good wedge and each of the contributors are also paid for appearing on it. If its making that much though, it will still be profitable.

Just to counter that, I believe Jimbo earns a good wedge and each of the contributors are also paid for appearing on it. If its making that much though, it will still be profitable.

Well that's the thing, if ad revenue is there, it's incredibly profitable.

If all the ads go away then you've still got to pay people and put out a few dozen podcasts a week with 3 or 4 presenters on each one. 12 weeks into lockdown, and with a global depression on the horizon, you could see how things might get a bit nervy.

If you are mainly / only interested in PL coverage and then mainly City content then you have to say there is very little of it day to day. I've been reading some articles over the last week or so as I found a way to do so without subscribing and although there are some very interesting reads I just don't see how they think that is enough to attract paying customers. I can also view the videos but don't bother. I can't view the podcasts but that is of no interest either as I've never watched a single podcast by anyone

If you are an American sports fan then it looks like there is plenty of content.

Just read the article about city and the payments to the Brazilian lads father.

Not much substance, something that we already know goes on at all big clubs, comes across like an ex employee whos son wasn't good enough for a scholarship with an axe to grind.

That Adam Crafton seems a bit of a dick too.
I unsubscribed today and let them know why.

It's being offered at £1 a month at the moment for the first 6 months. Not sure who wants to pay full price £8/mo. (Not that I'm paying a quid either).

I've got it for free but I rarely bother even looking at it. I'd advise anyone who is considering a free trial or a £1 a month offer to read the reviews on Trustpilot before doing so as they have the unfortunate habit of taking a year's full price subscription from your credit card and it is almost impossible to get it refunded. Their T&Cs for the US specifically say they won't refund anything even if they are at fault. Their EU T&Cs say you can get refunded but in practice you can't but as we are no longer in the EU I suspect they'll apply the US T&Cs anyway. They are a totally bent organisation.

Sounds like they're in a bit of a financial hole? Was never convinced of their business model and the fact they kept offering £1 subs etc.

Ah well sucking redshirt cocks isn't paying anymore, seems the public can get that sort of thing for free from numerous sources....maybe try another angle and be down the line, informative & unbiased? There's plenty of the market looking for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.