The battle for 3rd place

There is an article about next years qualification for the CL on the Uefa website:
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2456774.html
It says there are Guaranteed CL places for:
top 3 teams from Spain, Germany and England; plus top 2 teams from Italy, Portugal and France plus league winners from Russia, Ukraine, Belgium, Holland, Turkey and Switzerland = 21 teams
"...While ten group stage berths will be decided via qualifying in the summer – and the winners of this season's competition and the UEFA Europa League will also have an impact – these 21 teams would, as it stands, be assured of a UEFA Champions League place next term."

There is an implication the 4th English placed team can get into CL via the play off. It says "Line-up for next season's UEFA Champions League will be subject to final confirmation by UEFA in the summer."

We will get 5 clubs in CL if they win it

Yep.

Look at Spain last season. Madrid, Barca, Atletico, Villarreal, Sevilla all qualified for Champions League this season.

Villarreal were knocked out by Monaco in the 4th placed qualifier.

utd will get twatted tomorrow, against us and against Arsenal. Probabaly get twatted by a couple of others as well. They're more likely to finish 7th than fourth.

Mourinho will explode if he is beaten 3 times by Chelsea in the same season. Given the match is at OT, he will use all the negative tactics available to get a result.

I agree 5 English teams seems likely in the CL if the rags win the Europa cup, but if by some strange quirk Leicester also win the CL, (remember Greece won the Euros in the past!). I don't imagine they would allow 6 English teams in. I think this is why they say: "Line-up for next season's UEFA Champions League will be subject to final confirmation by UEFA in the summer."
In that case I imagine the 4th placed team in the league would drop out?

A maximum of 5 clubs from one country are allowed in. So if the rags win the europa and Leicester win the CL then only the top 3 get a place... so nothing to worry about

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.