The Bbq thread.

@ Tragic, get the Brinkman, not the brinkman style, you will thank me in 3 or so years when it is still solid.
Not as good as weber gear imo but not effing bad either bud.

Only smoked stuff with my weber mate tbh, so no idea on those smokers, yoder are good but you pay for it.

Personally i would look at the weber smokey mountain that paphos has, he is a chef by trade and has one and he swears by that as i do my weber 57cm kettle.
My next purchase is the smokey mountain, look at any pro bbq crews in the usa comps, they all have one mate, all of them.
If you can afford it, get a weber mate, it sounds like i get paid to say this but they are the very best and customer service fall over them selves to help you.

TJ1979 said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
o09veu.jpg

Just installed this in Ronnie Towers

Nice setup Ronnie.

I didn't realise these existed for bbq units. Damn, now that's another thing on my wishlist.

Got it at Costco :-)

Ronnie the Rep said:
TJ1979 said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
o09veu.jpg

Just installed this in Ronnie Towers

Nice setup Ronnie.

I didn't realise these existed for bbq units. Damn, now that's another thing on my wishlist.

Got it at Costco :-)
Saw this myself in Costco earlier, but the metallic brown one has me drawn to it.
Nice set up

TCIB said:
@ Tragic, get the Brinkman, not the brinkman style, you will thank me in 3 or so years when it is still solid.
Not as good as weber gear imo but not effing bad either bud.

Only smoked stuff with my weber mate tbh, so no idea on those smokers, yoder are good but you pay for it.

Personally i would look at the weber smokey mountain that paphos has, he is a chef by trade and has one and he swears by that as i do my weber 57cm kettle.
My next purchase is the smokey mountain, look at any pro bbq crews in the usa comps, they all have one mate, all of them.
If you can afford it, get a weber mate, it sounds like i get paid to say this but they are the very best and customer service fall over them selves to help you.

Cheers pal.

the smokey mountain looks ace! BUT I assume You cant grill on it?
Looking now at the weber 57cm one touch. had a peep on youtube about how to do indirect heat, Can you just buy the thing that keeps the coals to one side?

smokey mountain might have to wait a few yrs, no point in getting one unless you bet the biggest ;-)

Yes you can mate but you don't need it imo, i just set my coals up on that side.

You can do a full brisket on it/full rack of pork ribs/ 2 chickens and be able to keep most of the heat on the other side.
I simply get a bit of foil as a shield on the meat or turn so the other edge/side is closer to the coals.
You can reproduce ribs and proper bbq on this kettle grill as good as any american bbq joint and that i guess is all you can ask.

All it requires is a bit more tlc from you the pitmaster compared to a huge pellet smoker style thing.
This is something i like to do anyway, drinking beer and pissing around with my mop sauce and coal arrangements etc.
I think most blokes do tbh.

TCIB said:
Yes you can mate but you don't need it imo, i just set my coals up on that side.

You can do a full brisket on it/full rack of pork ribs/ 2 chickens and be able to keep most of the heat on the other side.
I simply get a bit of foil as a shield on the meat or turn so the other edge/side is closer to the coals.
You can reproduce ribs and proper bbq on this kettle grill as good as any american bbq joint and that i guess is all you can ask.

All it requires is a bit more tlc from you the pitmaster compared to a huge pellet smoker style thing.
This is something i like to do anyway, drinking beer and pissing around with my mop sauce and coal arrangements etc.
I think most blokes do tbh.

Evening TCIB. Always have trouble with ribs, they always burn. What's wrong? I can't seem to cook them through otherwise. Maybe I should get a job in a crematorium :-0

Evening Ronnie :)

They burn mainly due to to much direct heat, also the fat that renders of them is not on the top but within the muscle mass so a lot of meat gets exposed to heat with nothing to keep it moist.

My method is to make a mopping sauce and to have the ribs at least 4inches to the side of the hot coals.
Meat and meat next to bone cook differently so you can end up with tough meat.
The only option here is low and slow sir, 6h is plenty for a couple of racks of ribs.

Get some frenches hotdog mustard, coat the ribs in it, sprinkle your rub on, the mustard does nothing, it simply act as a binder, you will not taste it.
Now stick them on as a whole rack, not pre cut as they will be hard to do then.
After an hour at 270F-300F or so mop on sauce every 30min.
For the last hour wrap tight in foil but add 2tbl spoons of good honey and some light brown sugar on the top of the ribs.
Take off and leave for 1h on a rack, you now have ribs as good as any bbq joint bud

TCIB said:
Evening Ronnie :)

They burn mainly due to to much direct heat, also the fat that renders of them is not on the top but within the muscle mass so a lot of meat gets exposed to heat with nothing to keep it moist.

My method is to make a mopping sauce and to have the ribs at least 4inches to the side of the hot coals.
Meat and meat next to bone cook differently so you can end up with tough meat.
The only option here is low and slow sir, 6h is plenty for a couple of racks of ribs.

Get some frenches hotdog mustard, coat the ribs in it, sprinkle your rub on, the mustard does nothing, it simply act as a binder, you will not taste it.
Now stick them on as a whole rack, not pre cut as they will be hard to do then.
After an hour at 270F-300F or so mop on sauce every 30min.
For the last hour wrap tight in foil but add 2tbl spoons of good honey and some light brown sugar on the top of the ribs.
Take off and leave for 1h on a rack, you now have ribs as good as any bbq joint bud

Bloody hell, can I not do it quicker?

If you want the meat to fall of the bone, not really bud.

I reckon 2 hours uncovered and 40min covered then rest for an hour is absolute minimum Ronnie.

You can try stuff like boiling the ribs first for 2min then getting rub on to "open" the meat a little.
Another thing would be putting a water bath in with the ribs before marinading to steam them a bit first.

Personally i would just put the time in mate, you can go and mow the lawn and do other stuff in between with your setup bud.

I will test some methods myself this weekend bud and see what the results are.

TCIB said:
If you want the meat to fall of the bone, not really bud.

I reckon 2 hours uncovered and 40min covered then rest for an hour is absolute minimum Ronnie.

You can try stuff like boiling the ribs first for 2min then getting rub on to "open" the meat a little.
Another thing would be putting a water bath in with the ribs before marinading to steam them a bit first.

Personally i would just put the time in mate, you can go and mow the lawn and do other stuff in between with your setup bud.

I will test some methods myself this weekend bud and see what the results are.

Cheers, might try a variety of methods as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.