The Beatles

BTH said:
There's a Beatles bootleg called Unsurpassed Masters. As someone who's been a Beatles collector for nearly 30 years, that just about sums them up for me.

If you really want to know about the Beatles and you've got a spare £250-£300 to burn, you'll need the remastered CD box set, The Beatles Anthology on DVD and these books to kick off with: Ian MacDonald's Revolution In The Head, Mark Lewisohn's Beatles Chronicles, Hunter Davies' authorised biography, The Beatles, and The Beatles Anthology.

Money well spent IMO.

P.S. From here..

Beatles%20Love%20Me%20Do.jpg

+

acid.jpg

=

sgt_pepper.jpg

Was nothing short of astonishing!

Edited for accuracy.

Once they went hippy the songs went downhill.
The original pop songs like Help, please please me, love me do, long and winding road etc were just fucking class.

Couple of not released Beatles songs that are amazing are I'm only sleeping and across the universe.
Give them a listen.

billy_big_spuds said:
Once they went hippy the songs went downhill.
The original pop songs like Help, please please me, love me do, long and winding road etc were just fucking class.

Couple of not released Beatles songs that are amazing are I'm only sleeping and across the universe.
Give them a listen.

1st post for me! 'I'm only sleeping' actually features on Revolver which i probably would say is one of if not my favourite album. :-)

Freestyler said:
S.E.H said:
Never been that big on 'em, but in the last few months I decided to listen to a few of their songs and I'll be honest, you can understand why people make a fuss about 'em. I'm not too overkeen on some of the Hippie/Uber-Left stuff, but the majority of their work is class, whether it I Am The Walrus, Help or Hide Your Love Away. Being a big Oasis fan and knowing the connection just led me back to some of their tracks and I'm glad I did.

Thoughts on The Beatles?

Said this for years, few good songs, apart from that their just OVERATED.

put them in the music scene now and they would be nobodys, they had no competition back then, they don't do anything for me.

mate, how can a band that have had 27,000 cover versions of their songs be overrated ?

Had a discussion sat round a beer table in Salzburg last week about who was the best, The Beatles or The Smiths.

Night after in Munich, it carried on until it became a discussion about who was the best, John Lennon & Paul McCartney. All good stuff.

Freestyler said:
S.E.H said:
Never been that big on 'em, but in the last few months I decided to listen to a few of their songs and I'll be honest, you can understand why people make a fuss about 'em. I'm not too overkeen on some of the Hippie/Uber-Left stuff, but the majority of their work is class, whether it I Am The Walrus, Help or Hide Your Love Away. Being a big Oasis fan and knowing the connection just led me back to some of their tracks and I'm glad I did.

Thoughts on The Beatles?

Said this for years, few good songs, apart from that their just OVERATED.

put them in the music scene now and they would be nobodys, they had no competition back then, they don't do anything for me.

The music scene today wouldn't be what it is without the Beatles. And when I say today, I mean everything that's happened in the last 40 years.

Clubber said:
BTH said:
There's a Beatles bootleg called Unsurpassed Masters. As someone who's been a Beatles collector for nearly 30 years, that just about sums them up for me.

If you really want to know about the Beatles and you've got a spare £250-£300 to burn, you'll need the remastered CD box set, The Beatles Anthology on DVD and these books to kick off with: Ian MacDonald's Revolution In The Head, Mark Lewisohn's Beatles Chronicles, Hunter Davies' authorised biography, The Beatles, and The Beatles Anthology.

Money well spent IMO.

P.S. From here..

Beatles%20Love%20Me%20Do.jpg

+

acid.jpg

=

sgt_pepper.jpg

Was nothing short of astonishing!

Edited for accuracy.

Clubber - spot on!

Blue Punter said:
Had a discussion sat round a beer table in Salzburg last week about who was the best, The Beatles or The Smiths.

Night after in Munich, it carried on until it became a discussion about who was the best, John Lennon & Paul McCartney. All good stuff.

Haha. The Smiths. Absolute shite in comparison with The Beatles. A decent band in comparison with their contemporaries, though.

way, way before my time, but you can always tell how great a band are by how the music is still loved years/decades after they released them. Songs like let it be and Hey jude ( to name a few) are classics that will "live forever"

nashark said:
Blue Punter said:

Haha. The Smiths. Absolute shite in comparison with The Beatles. A decent band in comparison with their contemporaries, though.

This was the argument put forward, although not as severe as both Hombre & Ric are Smiths fans. We did agree that bands like The Stone Roses & Mondays were shite in comparison to the Beatles. And as far as i know, we all like the Roses & Mondays.

My point about The Smiths was that they were a completely new genre. There was no-one like them. They were almost anti-music when they started out. For me they were the flagbearers of what followed for decades afterwards. Whereas when The Beatles started, they were part of an already distict sound, Merseybeat. Gerry and the Pacemakers, Searchers etc could all have done "Love Me Do".

Not sure anyone could have done Hand in Glove, This Charming Man etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.