The Boxing thread

Technique? Have a look at the greatest pound for pound ever Sugar Ray Robinson if you want to see real technique.
Great article on that era:

Ali fought in in unparalleled era of greats. And he beat them all: Frazier, Foreman, Liston. Even the second tier guys like Cooper were high quality and Ali always found a way to win.
Amazing boxer, so clever so quick. You look at the hand speed he had and his ability to take a punch, simply on another level.

Herbie Hide was always entertainment I remember enjoying pleny of his fights, think Vitali Klitschko broke him he was beaten by Bowe but regained his confidence he was never quite the same after Vitali beat him.

I'm a believer in keeping the cruiserweight division but also letting cruiserweights optionally fight at heavyweight if they want, while still in the cruiserweight limit I mean if Marciano or Frazier or Louis were forced to fight weighting 214 then they would be extremely sluggish, it defo ruined the heavyweight division the strict rules I get they're concerned about safety especially after McClellan Watson and others... but both Louis and Marciano can be considered top 5 best heavyweights of all time, yet now they aren't even big enough to be actual heavyweights by today's standards it's just plain stupid.

I honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Usyk would've been even better against Joshua if allowed to weigh less,. He's got the right frame size to adapt at heavyweight like Holyfield did, someone naturally smaller in build would start having problems maintaining stamina anything beyond 200 pounds.
Anyone an ounce over 200lbs can fight at heavyweight, just as a cruiserweight will actually be 210lbs in the ring. All cruiserweights have no problem at all fighting at heavyweight, although they could lose their belts of they don't get permission in writing to fight at a different weight class.

When a cruiserweight fights they would have safety weigh-ins prior to a fight, e.g. they need to make 220lbs 30 days before and 210 lbs 7 days before, and can make 200lbs 24-30hrs before and back up to around 210 is likely.

He beat Klitschko who was the worlds best and undoubtedly a great despite being nearly 40yrs old.
He was a great a few years before he reached 40 years old, but even he fought in a poor era. Today's heavyweights outside the top 4 are Chisora and Dillian Whyte. Do they really compare to Oscar Bonavena and Ken Norton for example?

That’s disrespectful to Frank. Frank destroys Joshua. He had something Joshua can only dream of possessing. An iron heart and a granite desire.
Not to mention far superior boxing skills.
Joshua is this decade’s Audrey Harrison. Very very similar hype, very similar career, very similar flaws. Ie: they were both shit.
I was thinking more he will be in Pantomime in a couple of years and Blankety Blank..

Irrespective of whether Fury is comparable to the greats of the past I think it’s fantastic that the undisputed best heavyweight in the world is a Manc originally from just a mile or so away from where I live, even if he’s a rag. His recovery from his mental health issues and his subsequent rise to the top is one of the greatest ever sporting stories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.