The Boxing thread

AJ is a far better boxer than Wilder, he's just not as good as Usyk(Usyk vs Wilder would be comical btw). AJ still has better feet, better ring IQ, better technique, better combinations, better punch variation and selection and he can finish far better than Fury can. He would hurt Wilder first IMO(better ring IQ and feet) and as soon as that happens Wilder is done for. Wilder has a punchers chance against any of the ring top 10 I will give him that but most of them are good enough to close the distance and catch Wilder on his suspect chin. Wilder was able to catch people on the way in against his semi-professional level of opponents(one of which still nearly knocked Wilder out in his first 10 fights... and people want to compare him to AJ...ycmiu) for 80% of his resume and against the journeymen he was fed for all but 2 of his title defence opponents(annoyed me that he used the "10 title defences" media line in the pressers). But I always suspected he would get found out against any of the true top 10 level boxers. Many of them would have finished Wilder off early(apart from a few of the names that shouldn't be there). I thought Fury let him off the hook and nearly paid the price if anything.
Fair argument. Completely agree regarding Usyk and Wilder, that would be death by a 1000 cuts. Aj and Wilder I think is closer than that. The one thing I question about AJ is his punch resistance and his own willingness to test his chin, since the Ruiz fight I do wonder if something has gone. I thought he look incredibly tentative in the Usyk fight and at times he looked nervous about taking Usyk shots. Compare that to the AJ who walked through Vlad. Aj is a better boxer than Wilder no doubt, Wilder defence is poor and consist of blocking punches with his face. But that right hand is something else, if he catches AJ I'm not sure he would have the recovery of Fury and then the fight spins on a coin.

But what a great time for HW boxing, you have to hope these 4 fighters face each other, it could be a modern 4 Kings again. I hope to christ over the next 2 years these fights get made.

Enjoyable as the fight was, it's not 'the greatest fight ever' by quite a margin.

For example, pick any Hagler fight with 'Sugar' Ray, Hearns and Duran, then come back and say it again.

But, as I said, good fight.

For me, best thing about it was Russel Mora. Such an excellent refereeing display. Yes, the counts seemed slow, but he did for both fighters and allowed the fighters utilise their inside boxing.

He let them fight.

Moras > Bayliss, any day.
Tyson vs Wilder was a better fight than Hagler vs Leonard. The latter was a historic occasion but Hagler was below his best on the night.

Didn’t we say the same about Joshua against usyk . I think usyk beats fury but that’s my opinion and I could be wrong but one things for sure is that good here fights need to happen .
When have you ever been right on boxing, Paul? (:

Usyk wouldn't get near him and it would be over quite quickly, to compare the Joshua result is folly, most can see the AJ shortfalls, however he has delusions of grandeur, he’s never been the accomplished boxer, what excited the masses was his ability to bang, post Ruiz one, he feels like he has a point to prove about his skill set.... at least wilder accepts he is one dimensional

Usyk is a phenomenal boxer, but the 4 stone he would be giving up, coupled with fury’s beautiful jab, would be a horrible fight for him!

Wilder shown what a heart he's got last night in the ring, his poor behaviour after the fight is what people will remember him for though.

For me, best thing about it was Russel Mora. Such an excellent refereeing display. Yes, the counts seemed slow, but he did for both fighters and allowed the fighters utilise their inside boxing.

He let them fight.
I saw it differently. I thought he was too keen to jump in and split them up early on to stop Tyson leaning and slobbering all over Wilder. Should’ve given em more chance to work their way out of the clinch.

As the ref tired as the fight wore on he was less inclined to try and split them and Tyson was able to walk him back to the ropes in a clinch and then free himself and land a shot or two as Wilder reeled backwards.

Wilder shown what a heart he's got last night in the ring, his poor behaviour after the fight is what people will remember him for though.
The casuals might but most boxing fans will
remember his courage in never giving up against a bigger stronger better man even when he was totally exhausted

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.