The Boxing thread

Not a fan then.

History has this certain magic that we realise how good they were when they are finished, we have always hated successful sportsmen in this country when they at the top of their game, it's weird. (Lennox Lewis, Hamilton etc)

My point was, in 20 years the history books will say he beat whoever was available to fight at the time...

Modern day boxing is nothing like 20/30 years ago where fights happened whether they liked it or not, the modern boxing World is just about money unfortunately.

I actually am. I'm from a similar area to him and will be supporting him on Saturday because of that. I watch all his fights and even the circuses of late. I can understand why others won't though. The constant hypocrisy and downplaying any realistic challenger as a 'sausage' or 'dosser' to swerve them. People are getting tired of it. Claiming he'd only fight Joshua if it was at Wembley and for free, the next minute demanding half a billion. Claiming he's driving around in a 20 year old Passat but has a fleet of cars etc etc.

Whilst loosely being a 'fan' I'm also a realist. His career has been defined by Klitschko (who he never rematched) and a trilogy against Wilder (who is an abysmal boxer). Unlike the majority I fancied Parker against Wilder. He cannot undeniably claim to even be the best of this era even if he wins on Saturday. Never mind an all time great. I've just had a look at all 4 of the main governing bodies and in the top 15 rankings of each- so probably 30-40 names in total as there's duplicates and he's only fought TWO of those fighters. Wilder (who appears in 3) and Wallin (who only appears in 1). There's not enough body of work there to ever be considered an all time great.

Money is clearly a motivator, but there are fights that still take place Spence-Crawford, Canelo-GGG etc. The likes of Usyk aren't fighting purely for money.

Can see it being a bit boring. Tyson will keep him at arms length and tie him up when close. Realistically I don't think Usyk will be able to hit him enough to score enough to win it on point and I'm very doubtful he'll knock him out if Wilders whack couldn't. Im actually 50/50 on this one in terms of who I want to win. Used to love Fury but he's getting a bit annoying now with his contradictions and his dad is a clown

I am going to Boxpark to watch it and I am really looking forward to it, and hoping for a Fury win. Like him or not, to rise to the top of heavyweight boxing and to win the fights that he has, returning from significant mental health issues and dealing bi-polar disorder, takes a special man and a special talent. Tomorrow will possibly be his defining moment.
Usyk is hugely gifted, and has proven himself as a heavyweight. He is arguably the greatest cruiser of all time, and will cement his position as a modern great with a win tomorrow.
I believe that Tyson's best chance of victory will be to use his size and strength to bully the smaller man to defeat, as he did Wilder. Whether he can is a tricky question, but I believe that he has a greater chance of victory than not. This could be a wonderful spectacle.

I actually am. I'm from a similar area to him and will be supporting him on Saturday because of that. I watch all his fights and even the circuses of late. I can understand why others won't though. The constant hypocrisy and downplaying any realistic challenger as a 'sausage' or 'dosser' to swerve them. People are getting tired of it. Claiming he'd only fight Joshua if it was at Wembley and for free, the next minute demanding half a billion. Claiming he's driving around in a 20 year old Passat but has a fleet of cars etc etc.

Whilst loosely being a 'fan' I'm also a realist. His career has been defined by Klitschko (who he never rematched) and a trilogy against Wilder (who is an abysmal boxer). Unlike the majority I fancied Parker against Wilder. He cannot undeniably claim to even be the best of this era even if he wins on Saturday. Never mind an all time great. I've just had a look at all 4 of the main governing bodies and in the top 15 rankings of each- so probably 30-40 names in total as there's duplicates and he's only fought TWO of those fighters. Wilder (who appears in 3) and Wallin (who only appears in 1). There's not enough body of work there to ever be considered an all time great.

Money is clearly a motivator, but there are fights that still take place Spence-Crawford, Canelo-GGG etc. The likes of Usyk aren't fighting purely for money.
I won good money on Parker beating Wilder.
Like you I can see through most of the bollocks of boxing

I took won a few quid on it - the odds were bizarrely out of whack from memory..

Seemed a no brainer to me.......
I got 4/1 at the time.
I think he came down to about 3s just before the fight.
But if you placed bets on media hype in most sports, you been a poor man.
Kelly Brook was also easy money vs Khan, but not for those who follow the media hype

I got 4/1 at the time.
I think he came down to about 3s just before the fight.
But if you placed bets on media hype in most sports, you been a poor man.
Kelly Brook was also easy money vs Khan, but not for those who follow the media hype
Kelly Brook would have been massive odds to beat Khan :-)but I’ve never rated Khan that highly with his inability to take a punch. I think Usyk and Fury will probably go the distance with Usyk being very elusive and Fury having to chase him round the ring

Kelly Brook would have been massive odds to beat Khan :-)but I’ve never rated Khan that highly with his inability to take a punch. I think Usyk and Fury will probably go the distance with Usyk being very elusive and Fury having to chase him round the ring
It's a 50/50 fight.
So little novelty bets probably the order of the day

Brook was odds on to beat Khan when they fought. Not massively odds on but the clear favourite.

4/6 to 6/4 type of odds so this fight is closer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.