The Boxing thread

It seems that Froch might end up on Sky for his next defence. It seems that Adam Smith who is head of boxing at Sky. He has been qouted in a number of papers over the last few days as saying. " I will be doing my best to get parties together to get Froch back on Sky. There is no question that he is right up there at the top level , and I will do my very best to see if we can put on his future fights on."

Great news for Froch as he is now in the position to get a very good deal after Sky fucked up and let him go a couple of years ago. Now for the first time in a long time Mick Hennessey has the best hand possible and will more than likely end up getting his promotions back on Sky which can only be a good thing for boxing fans. He has a decent stable of fighters who could end back on Sky but under his promotions. Be it Fury , John Murray , Darren Barker , John O Donnell and even Junior Witter all could be back on Sky if Hennessey doesnt fuck it up. So that means we will see better fight cards from all the promotors if Sky has Matchroom , Maloney , Warren , Hatton and Hennessey thats 5 promotors which will have to sort out dates with Sky meaning in some cases there might only be 1 fight a month in some cases but those cards should be jammed with there top fighters which can only be good for the sport. So hopefully this comes off as it will be great for local British boxing.

Some great fights next weekend...

Amir Khan - Marcos Maidana

Victor Ortiz - Lamont Peterson

James De Gale - Paul Smith

Dereck Chisora - Wladimir Klitschko

Vic Darchinyan - Abner Mares

Yonnhy Perez - Joseph Agbeko

Plus...

Nathan Cleverly, Kell Brook, Mathew Macklin, Joan Guzman, Andy Lee and Jeff Lacy are all fighting. Looking forward to it...

Picks?

JoeMercer'sWay said:
is Maidana good enough to knock Khan out or is this ANOTHER Amir ducking fight?
He's capable of it, but Khan is also capable of boxing his ears off. This is a very dangerous fight for Khan. Maidana can hit and he will attempt to put Kahn under a lot of pressure.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, considering his age, Khan has fought some very good opposition. Just not many big punchers, so that's why this is exciting. Maidana is probably the hardest hitter at 140.

ono said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
is Maidana good enough to knock Khan out or is this ANOTHER Amir ducking fight?
He's capable of it, but Khan is also capable of boxing his ears off. This is a very dangerous fight for Khan. Maidana can hit and he will attempt to put Kahn under a lot of pressure.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, considering his age, Khan has fought some very good opposition. Just not many big punchers, so that's why this is exciting. Maidana is probably the hardest hitter at 140.

After Khan's demolition by Prescott I've a) always wanted and thought it should have been a requirement to have a rematch b) that Khan has being a dodger since, and he got lucky with Barrera's cut. Kotelnik and Salita were rubbish, Malignaggi has been round the block so to speak, so I've wanted to see him fight a proper puncher.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
ono said:

After Khan's demolition by Prescott I've a) always wanted and thought it should have been a requirement to have a rematch b) that Khan has being a dodger since, and he got lucky with Barrera's cut. Kotelnik and Salita were rubbish, Malignaggi has been round the block so to speak, so I've wanted to see him fight a proper puncher.

That's probably a bit unfair. 9 time sout of 10 Khan beats Prescott. He was careless and paid the price. There would have been a rematch with Prescott but he lost a bit of momentum, and he's now lost 2 of his last 4, both against fairly mediocre fighters. It's a difficult sell really as Khan has moved on a lot since then, and he's now with a much better trainer.

I don't think the 'dodging' element is really Khan's fault. That's just how Frank Warren operates, and you can't really blame him for it. If Hatton had have been in with a puncher at 21, it's unlikely he'd have gone on to make millions for himself and Frank. He protects his investment. In that respect, he's very similar to all other promoters.

Kudos to Khan for leaving Warren to seek the best fights out there anyway. Can't knock him for that.

Like i said earlier, his opposition has been pretty good over the last 2 years. What happened in the Barrera fight was unfortunate given that it ruined the fight. I don't see the outcome being any different anyway. Khan has every imaginable advantage over Barrera at this stage in their careers...barring experience of course.

He gets a lot of stick for the Salita win, but that again is unfair. He was an undefeated Mandatory challenger and basically he had to fight him. He took him out inside 1 round which is still impressive. It's too easy to look back in hindsight and simply say 'Salita is shit' but whilst he'll never be a world class fighter he is still capable.

Kotelnik is a good fighter. He came over to England a few years ago to fight Witter (when Witter was going well). I thought he was unlucky to lose (close decision). He's improved since then and he was excellent against Devon Alexander and was again very unlucky to lose (i thought he beat him personally). Alexander is very highly rated.

He also holds a close win over Marcos Maidana. Khan won every round against Kotelnik, so when you compare that with how the other 'world class' fighters have faired against him, it is pretty impressive.

As for Paulie, he was coming off two of the very best performances of his life (both against Juan Diaz) and was looking a much better fighter than the one who lost to Hatton and Cotto. He'd also dropped Buddy McGirt as his trainer and was obviously a better fighter for it. Again, Khan was probably more impressive than both Hatton and Cotto were.

Like i said, he's 23. There aren't really any other 23 year old fighters in the world with that sort of record. Koki Kameda and Devon Alexander are probably the only ones and they've both had fairly ordinary performances lately.

ono said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

That's probably a bit unfair. 9 time sout of 10 Khan beats Prescott. He was careless and paid the price. There would have been a rematch with Prescott but he lost a bit of momentum, and he's now lost 2 of his last 4, both against fairly mediocre fighters. It's a difficult sell really as Khan has moved on a lot since then, and he's now with a much better trainer.

I don't think the 'dodging' element is really Khan's fault. That's just how Frank Warren operates, and you can't really blame him for it. If Hatton had have been in with a puncher at 21, it's unlikely he'd have gone on to make millions for himself and Frank. He protects his investment. In that respect, he's very similar to all other promoters.

Kudos to Khan for leaving Warren to seek the best fights out there anyway. Can't knock him for that.

Like i said earlier, his opposition has been pretty good over the last 2 years. What happened in the Barrera fight was unfortunate given that it ruined the fight. I don't see the outcome being any different anyway. Khan has every imaginable advantage over Barrera at this stage in their careers...barring experience of course.

He gets a lot of stick for the Salita win, but that again is unfair. He was an undefeated Mandatory challenger and basically he had to fight him. He took him out inside 1 round which is still impressive. It's too easy to look back in hindsight and simply say 'Salita is shit' but whilst he'll never be a world class fighter he is still capable.

Kotelnik is a good fighter. He came over to England a few years ago to fight Witter (when Witter was going well). I thought he was unlucky to lose (close decision). He's improved since then and he was excellent against Devon Alexander and was again very unlucky to lose (i thought he beat him personally). Alexander is very highly rated.

He also holds a close win over Marcos Maidana. Khan won every round against Kotelnik, so when you compare that with how the other 'world class' fighters have faired against him, it is pretty impressive.

As for Paulie, he was coming off two of the very best performances of his life (both against Juan Diaz) and was looking a much better fighter than the one who lost to Hatton and Cotto. He'd also dropped Buddy McGirt as his trainer and was obviously a better fighter for it. Again, Khan was probably more impressive than both Hatton and Cotto were.

Like i said, he's 23. There aren't really any other 23 year old fighters in the world with that sort of record. Koki Kameda and Devon Alexander are probably the only ones and they've both had fairly ordinary performances lately.

I think boxing's in decline 2bh, that's why we're talking about Amir Khan, nobody else worth the mention.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.