The British Monarchy

Written by Caitlin Moran. Interestingly another Caitlin Moran, an aboriginal rugby league player has had a slightly less positive take on the queen.

Ginger hair though. Mixed with convicts perhaps. Not still bitter about her ancestors getting sent to the other side of the world is she?

If it wasn't for the fact that The Queen had to bury her husband very publicly, without family, I'd say the suggestion wasn't just fanciful, but would be offensive.

Given that her husband did die during the Covid restrictions, then I can just about see the argument, if I squint, and can maybe appreciate that it was one of the few times where privilege didn't help The Queen, and that many who had to do the same will genuinely sympathise with her.

The article itself is pretty long, and a lot less serious and reverential than the tweet makes it sound.

It did. She was offered an exemption. She just chose not to cash those chips in.

Whether she declined it because of her duty to public service or because she felt it necessary to the preserve the institution, we can only speculate. We will never know.

It did. She was offered an exemption. She just chose not to cash those chips in.

Whether she declined it because of her duty to public service or because she felt it necessary to the preserve the institution, we can only speculate. We will never know.
Ultimately it doesn't make a huge difference - and not sure those two motives are mutually exclusive.

I have no love at all for the monarchy, but plenty clearly do, and if you were a supporter of The Queen then I can see how her actions when her husband died could resonate.

If it wasn't for the fact that The Queen had to bury her husband very publicly, without family, I'd say the suggestion wasn't just fanciful, but would be offensive.

Given that her husband did die during the Covid restrictions, then I can just about see the argument, if I squint, and can maybe appreciate that it was one of the few times where privilege didn't help The Queen, and that many who had to do the same will genuinely sympathise with her.

The article itself is pretty long, and a lot less serious and reverential than the tweet makes it sound.
I'll take your word for the rest of the piece as I haven't read it. If that's the context fair enough, it's reasonable to assume some people feel that way. Projecting that onto 'millions', as a widely shared collective experience however is something else.

She did it because everyone else had to stick to the rules and she was head of state and understood she should lead

From what I remember of Prince Phillips funeral there was at least 100 or so people there ?

People love watching the pomp, I doubt many under 60 have a royal teatowel.
I don't know any over 60 who have one either! :-)
Plus I promise you @Alan Harper's Tash I will never demand your respect on anyone's funeral day (even mine) *chuckles*

This is for everyone so please don't think I am preaching to you AHT.

Live and let live are my thoughts. The world has enough angst without us falling out over whether folk should respect/love/mourn the Queen or any member of the Royal Family.
Time for the Blues to batten down the hatches ready for the visit of some miserable so and so's from Trafford!! :-)

If I offend anyone with this post I apologise. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.