The British Monarchy

I was in the pub with a few friends of Indian decent and a mate from Mumbai. They asked each other several times where they came from. Some of my Sikh mates are Leeds born and bred. Nobody took any offence.

This 83 year old might be racist or she might not. We don’t know. Anyone recording a transcript at such an event is either deeply offended or has ulterior motives. I don’t know the answer to that either, having no real knowledge of the people involved.

I was in the pub with a few friends of Indian decent and a mate from Mumbai. They asked each other several times where they came from. Some of my Sikh mates are Leeds born and bred. Nobody took any offence.

This 83 year old might be racist or she might not. We don’t know. Anyone recording a transcript at such an event is either deeply offended or has ulterior motives. I don’t know the answer to that either, having no real knowledge of the people involved.
I think that, ultimately, it doesn’t really matter.

I'm not quite sure what job the supposed racist woman was doing at this event. I heard she was the Queen's aide which I suppose is posh lackey. Surely that role ended on the Queen's death? Also at 83 years old shouldn't she have her feet up relaxing by now?

I think it's pretty harmless in most circumstances to ask someone who looks or sounds foreign where they or their family are from if it's just genuine friendly curiosity, just as when I'm down south people ask me where me or my accent are from. I think the problem with the palace incident is that once you've had that question answered, to say 'where are you really from' implies you think they are either lying or somehow don't belong here. That is racist/offensive.

The which hunt is disturbing.

Woman asks woman a question about heritage. The old woman is probably set in her ways like most people of a certain age. Did she intend to sound racist? Or act racist? Only she can answer that question. Interpretation bias can go anyway.

When did it all get so fucked up? Safer staying at home and not speak to anyone these days.

If she is racist well that is her problem.The lady that got upset has got an apology and the person has been removed from post. No one should have to suffer racist behaviour.None of it sits well with me. You can’t publicly prosecute a person based on interpretation. Where does it end? Minority report is here.

I am not a royalist but I won’t generalise the monarchy as racist based on one persons actions.

I think it's pretty harmless in most circumstances to ask someone who looks or sounds foreign where they or their family are from if it's just genuine friendly curiosity, just as when I'm down south people ask me where me or my accent are from. I think the problem with the palace incident is that once you've had that question answered, to say 'where are you really from' implies you think they are either lying or somehow don't belong here. That is racist/offensive.
Or is it an awkward way about enquiring about someone's heritage?

Point hugely missed. This wasnt a few people who looked like eachother in a pub chatting was it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.