The British Monarchy

There's something not quite right about this story.

This is in the Guardian opinion section under the heading....

Monarchy

We didn’t ask for Lady Hussey to resign. But, really, the monarchy must do better on race

Mandu Reid
Mandu Reid

I witnessed the racist remarks, but blaming one person alone distracts from the depth and breadth of racism in that institution...

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ssey-resign-monarchy-race-remarks-institution

The opinion piece ends...

a starting point for an institution where staff think it’s OK to touch a Black woman’s hair or question her belonging would be signing up to cultural competence training. I know just the organisation to provide that. Sistah Space, the charity Ngozi runs to support African and Caribbean heritage women affected by domestic and sexual abuse, offers such courses to institutions that don’t know where to begin.

Wouldn’t it be something if Buckingham Palace asked for their help? It would certainly chime with the Queen Consort’s speech at the reception, in which she said that the starting point for responding to survivors of abuse was listening to them and believing them. Perhaps, one day, that principle could extend to Meghan too.

There's something not quite right about this story.

This is in the Guardian opinion section under the heading....

Monarchy

We didn’t ask for Lady Hussey to resign. But, really, the monarchy must do better on race

Mandu Reid
Mandu Reid

I witnessed the racist remarks, but blaming one person alone distracts from the depth and breadth of racism in that institution...

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ssey-resign-monarchy-race-remarks-institution

The opinion piece ends...

a starting point for an institution where staff think it’s OK to touch a Black woman’s hair or question her belonging would be signing up to cultural competence training. I know just the organisation to provide that. Sistah Space, the charity Ngozi runs to support African and Caribbean heritage women affected by domestic and sexual abuse, offers such courses to institutions that don’t know where to begin.

Wouldn’t it be something if Buckingham Palace asked for their help? It would certainly chime with the Queen Consort’s speech at the reception, in which she said that the starting point for responding to survivors of abuse was listening to them and believing them. Perhaps, one day, that principle could extend to Meghan too.
Professional protester.

Professional protester.

That's too simplistic.

This doesn't look like protest opportunism, it's a non story on the surface of it, 83 year old woman that no one has ever heard of, that holds no position of power, says some racist stuff. Yet it's wall to wall coverage, all the networks, front page of the BBC and all the papers, chat shows, covered extensively in the USA.

There's something not right about this.

People can be racist without realising it. Of course they can.

Completely agree with this, I think it applies to more people than those who do realise it.

It’s a difficult one to describe but it feels like the idea of being called racist is so abhorrent to people that the focus is on that more than them actually thinking about whether what they’ve said is actually racist or not, particularly when it comes from ignorance rather than real malice.

Anyone who starts a sentence with “I’m not a racist, but…” being a prime example (it’s almost worse,they at least know they’re about to say something that’s probably racist, but still feel the need to say they’re not)

Touching hair in that context isn't racist it's just rude. But why a lady in waiting needs to be checking badges isn't quite clear.

Surely a job for security, by that stage the woman would have already gone through all that.

If she hasn't already introduced herself, why not just ask her name and job?

Archaic, clumsy institution that needs to fuck off.

Charlie has been firmly put in his box and has chosen the bureaucratic family over the environment. A bunch of nonces and nonce enablers.

That's too simplistic.

This doesn't look like protest opportunism, it's a non story on the surface of it, 83 year old woman that no one has ever heard of, that holds no position of power, says some racist stuff. Yet it's wall to wall coverage, all the networks, front page of the BBC and all the papers, chat shows, covered extensively in the USA.

There's something not right about this.
There is certainly some agenda(s) at work I agree, even if it's as basic as the media whipping up a shit-storm to generate clicks/views and sell papers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.