The British Monarchy

That conversation is pretty damning if true.
As far as I'm aware it's not been denied.
Also it's alleged that she moved Fulani's hair to one side so that she could see her name badge, which would make it even worse.
As I understand it Hussey attended this function as a representative of the Crown and therefore should be aware fully of the nature and responsibility of the role. Excuses being made by others on account of her age and background (i.e ' she lived through the war') are therefore IMO not relevant.

Take a look at this, it's an eye opener....

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ssey-resign-monarchy-race-remarks-institution

We didn’t ask for Lady Hussey to resign. But, really, the monarchy must do better on race​

Mandu Reid
Mandu Reid

I witnessed the racist remarks, but blaming one person alone distracts from the depth and breadth of racism in that institution

... the very fact that the incident had been “witnessed” that made it significant, and forced the palace to respond swiftly (and in my view, unsatisfactorily). Unlike when the Duchess of Sussex made her accounts of royal racism, such as the “concerns” that were expressed over how dark her son’s skin might be, the palace wasn’t able to deny or deflect this time....

The funny thing is, neither Ngozi nor I wanted Hussey to receive the grand order of the boot. Ngozi didn’t even name her publicly; it was social media that did this, immediately seizing on the story as another chance to form into polarised rival camps. Instead of stepping down, Hussey should be encouraged to step up, along with senior members of the royal household. This is much bigger than one individual: blaming Hussey risks minimising and distracting from the depth and breadth of racism that is enshrined in an institution that carries the heritage of empire, slavery and inequality (we are their subjects, after all).....

Perhaps a starting point for an institution where staff think it’s OK to touch a Black woman’s hair or question her belonging would be signing up to cultural competence training. I know just the organisation to provide that. Sistah Space, the charity Ngozi runs to support African and Caribbean heritage women affected by domestic and sexual abuse, offers such courses to institutions that don’t know where to begin.

Wouldn’t it be something if Buckingham Palace asked for their help? It would certainly chime with the Queen Consort’s speech at the reception, in which she said that the starting point for responding to survivors of abuse was listening to them and believing them. Perhaps, one day, that principle could extend to Meghan too.

Something's up.

These days, if you are in any sort of public-facing role, you need to be extremely conscious of the current thinking on race, which is not what it was in 1956, or even in 2000. That is why I would advocate for anyone in such a role to go on a race awareness course.

It is extremely easy to give offence without meaning to do so. The world has changed so very much.

Having said that, I should mention the ancient English custom called pigeonholing. That is, you ask a series of intrusive and impertinent questions so that you can work out where someone stands on the class ladder.
E.g.
Which school?
Which uni?
What kind of house do you live in?
What job do you do?
What car do you drive?

This may be no more than a variant of the custom. Most people who have attended any sort of gathering with strangers will have faced this sort of thing. Although often, with we northerners, it does not go far, because as soon as they hear your accent they assume you live in a terraced house, own a whippet, and went to a secondary modern.

The answer nowadays is always going to b e beyond pigeon holing

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ssey-resign-monarchy-race-remarks-institution

We didn’t ask for Lady Hussey to resign. But, really, the monarchy must do better on race​

Mandu Reid
Mandu Reid

I witnessed the racist remarks, but blaming one person alone distracts from the depth and breadth of racism in that institution

... the very fact that the incident had been “witnessed” that made it significant, and forced the palace to respond swiftly (and in my view, unsatisfactorily). Unlike when the Duchess of Sussex made her accounts of royal racism, such as the “concerns” that were expressed over how dark her son’s skin might be, the palace wasn’t able to deny or deflect this time....

The funny thing is, neither Ngozi nor I wanted Hussey to receive the grand order of the boot. Ngozi didn’t even name her publicly; it was social media that did this, immediately seizing on the story as another chance to form into polarised rival camps. Instead of stepping down, Hussey should be encouraged to step up, along with senior members of the royal household. This is much bigger than one individual: blaming Hussey risks minimising and distracting from the depth and breadth of racism that is enshrined in an institution that carries the heritage of empire, slavery and inequality (we are their subjects, after all).....

Perhaps a starting point for an institution where staff think it’s OK to touch a Black woman’s hair or question her belonging would be signing up to cultural competence training. I know just the organisation to provide that. Sistah Space, the charity Ngozi runs to support African and Caribbean heritage women affected by domestic and sexual abuse, offers such courses to institutions that don’t know where to begin.

Wouldn’t it be something if Buckingham Palace asked for their help? It would certainly chime with the Queen Consort’s speech at the reception, in which she said that the starting point for responding to survivors of abuse was listening to them and believing them. Perhaps, one day, that principle could extend to Meghan too.

Something's up.
Megan isn't a victim of racism. She has just ended up butting heads with the royal household because her dream of being a wierd mix of Disney princess and a sort of state-funded Kardashian is at odds with the concept of duty and service that lie below the privileged facade of monarchy.

I curtsied to her majesty and said hello, I bowed to his majesty and said hello, Shortly after I was not treated as an equal
?

For me it's the 7th (SEVENTH!) time of asking that really reveals what's going on. "Oh I see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from" is just such a spectacularly inappropriate question to someone you don't know, and has already made it clear they don't want to discuss this with you.

And the "When did you first come here?" After already being told, twice, that she's from the UK and was born here shows she's not even listening to the answers she's getting.

I listened to a conversation about this on the radio yesterday on the way in to work, and all of the people they had on relaying their experiences said there's 2 very different ways of asking this question and you know straight away which is which. One is genuine, it's showing interest in you, and the other is interrogating you "so they know what kind of mutt you are" and feel like they can put you in your place.

I also think people are being obscenely tolerant by saying it's just bad manners - if a professional Lady in Waiting for 60 years doesn't know what good manners are, who does?

Some can't see or won't see racism even when it's as obvious as this.

Mandu Reid
Mandu Reid

Something's up.

Why don’t you tell us what’s up instead of continually making oblique references to some grand conspiracy and talking about a bigger picture or joining dots together.

You’ve been posting about it all day so just say what it is you’re tiptoeing around saying.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.