The British Monarchy

All the fuss this week seems to be fitting quite nicely with the launch of Megan and Harry's Netflix grift..........

Lady Susan is 83, and probably does not have the racial sensitivity of a younger person. That's as kind as I can make it. The 'rules' are relatively new and keep changing. It is now very important not to give offence on grounds of race, even if you don't intend any insult, and especially if you are in any public or official role.

To get away from the race thing, some people's idea of conversation is to ask a series of impertinent questions. AFAIC it's no fucker's business what my background is, I am what I am. If you want to discuss my heritage, please be prepared to listen to a long and tedious lecture as I have researched it and can give extensive details. But the fact is if you are asking these questions, then the chances are you don't really want to know, you want to be able to put me in a pigeonhole - 'Working class Manc.'

Lady Susan is 83, and probably does not have the racial sensitivity of a younger person. That's as kind as I can make it. The 'rules' are relatively new and keep changing. It is now very important not to give offence on grounds of race, even if you don't intend any insult, and especially if you are in any public or official role.

To get away from the race thing, some people's idea of conversation is to ask a series of impertinent questions. AFAIC it's no fucker's business what my background is, I am what I am. If you want to discuss my heritage, please be prepared to listen to a long and tedious lecture as I have researched it and can give extensive details. But the fact is if you are asking these questions, then the chances are you don't really want to know, you want to be able to put me in a pigeonhole - 'Working class Manc.'
Ye, but where are you really from? :-)

Ye, but where are you really from? :-)
Cheshire, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Lancashire, the court of Edward III, Italy - the list goes on. Even Russia and the Byzantine Empire if I go back 20-odd generations. I'm still a working-class Manc at the end of it, even though three out of four grandparents descend from Edward III and Queen Philippa of Hainault and although I have descents from pretty much every gentry family in Cheshire going back to the Conquest - and in some cases, before. But I'm a working-class Manc who grew up in Gorton. None of the rich cnuts I'm descended from left me their money.

Cheshire, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Lancashire, the court of Edward III, Italy - the list goes on. Even Russia and the Byzantine Empire if I go back 20-odd generations. I'm still a working-class Manc at the end of it, even though three out of four grandparents descend from Edward III and Queen Philippa of Hainault and although I have descents from pretty much every gentry family in Cheshire going back to the Conquest - and in some cases, before. But I'm a working-class Manc who grew up in Gorton. None of the rich cnuts I'm descended from left me their money.
yeah...anyway.....walks off

I'm not tiptoeing around anything, I don't know enough to say with any certainty what's going on, but something clearly is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy enough for the monarchy to get a kicking, but the blanket coverage and particularly that polemic in the Guardian, with its references to empire and slavery, the idea that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but something embedded in the structures of society, in this case the monarchy, is off the shelf critical race theory.

You might agree with that, fair enough.

But this brief encounter has had all this stuff grafted on it super fast and wall to wall, and that's what leads me to believe there's more to it than meets the eye.

But I don't know what it is.

It’s just a story that’s struck a chord because it taps into several others, there’s nothing “going on”.

We’re 3 days removed from one of the most famous politicians in the country publicly lamenting a loss of whiteness in the UK and 3 weeks from a man firebombing an asylum centre filled with mostly African and west Asian refugees.

The King’s son has left the country and royal family because he feels his wife was facing racial discrimination. People have been arguing about that for 5 years.

The monarchy is already in the spotlight, and has been since Andrew’s child rape came to light, but the Phillip and QE2 dying makes things feel less certain.

Confronting/avoiding the fallout of the empire is an ongoing national story. Windrush, BLM, pulling statues down etc.

And on top of all that, it fits perfectly into this ongoing “culture war” where certain people get angry because the world is changing around them and racism isn’t just when you scream racial slurs in someone’s face any more.

We must have had 50 pages of discussion and arguments on this thread about the story, so unless you think that discussion is also being manipulated and propagated as part of a bigger “something” the rest of the coverage in the news and social media is just reflecting that.

As for the speed of the coverage, I don’t know how long you want people to wait before writing opinion pieces but the day after a story breaks is pretty normal.

How is it racist?

Persistent perhaps, but how can it be conceived as racist?

She was asking where her family originated, a question that many people encounter throughout life when it's obvious that they are 'different'.

So in future when I'm asked where I am from, should I now view it as a racist comment............or does that only apply if I was black?
Now youre just being a dick.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.