The Conservative Party/Government

It baffles me endlessly. There’s only one group of people that I’ve ever seen claim the Rwanda policy is a good idea and it is Tory MPs. Maybe the odd swivel-eyed loon on the right, but as you say they often don’t think it goes far enough or is effective enough. They want the myth of totally closed borders which can never be delivered unless we want to be like North Korea or Eritrea.

I suspect that it might be some lame attempt to force Labour into revoking an anti-immigration policy once they’re in power so that they can point at how Starmer wants “open border policies” or something stupid like that. Other than that I’m at a total loss.

I think we might have to accept the current Conservative Party is just… not very smart? All those years of elitist inbreeding must have given them an intellectual disadvantage.
I agree that they are swimming in the shallow end of the Tory Party gene pool right now (after Johnson purged the cabinet of anyone who wasn't a brexteer and who wouldn't lie for him) but I still can't think that it is simply because they are stupid. Perhaps more that they are very inexperienced in political terms and also rather extremist and unwilling to compromise.

I can't remember the last time I heard them talk in any detail about anything that would actually help people. The NI cuts were always an illusion and all their effort seems to go into persuading people that black is white and that lies are truth. Maybe it's just become a habit and they have noone to tell them how it looks to the public.

They just seem to be chasing the dumb and the uninformed vote all the time, which I know is bigger than most of us would like to think it is, but they have gone so far down that route that ONLY those people will believe what they are saying and they are alienating more moderate and decent conservatives

The one thing they always seemed to be able to do was get themselves elected by hook or by crook and it is amazing to see them basically making themselves unelectable.

Including the fact that Labour have won the North Yorkshire mayoralty. That is Rishi Sunak’s own area. If that isn’t an indictment on the government I don’t know what is.

I think there’s a very real chance that a sitting PM could lose his seat come the GE.
Sunak won’t be seen in politics again after the GE, so won’t give a shit about losing his seat

every single Mayoral declaration so far bar one have been Labour wins including 3 of the newly established ones

Mark Harper " I think we are seeing mixed results in these Mayoral elections "

Mixed? Mixed? Thats like losing 10 nil and your manager coming out with " I think it was a mixed performance - we stopped them getting a single shot on target in the last 5 minutes" ..........
A bit like the Huddersfield manager after we gubbed them 10-1 when he said that 3 of our goals were offside and so we only beat them 7-1.

I expected the Tories to get an even bigger kicking than they got in these elections, makes you wonder what the political landscape is going to be like after Labour have their 4 years rearranging the furniture.
Worse? I’m not sure how ‘worser’ it could’ve got for them.

I'm in that age bracket and I didn't vote yesterday because I just don't see the point. I see chat amongst our councillors and all they care about is giving each other a kicking. If either wins they'll just make a game of telling everybody how they beat the other. They aren't interested in the state of our roads or the fact that nothing is being done about anything.

I decided that the only option was none of the above but that isn't an option so I didn't vote. I'm hoping that this will be a record non-turnout, they need to be told that they represent us and not their party.
Have you actually engaged with a councillor?

I wouldn't say that I'm right wing, I certainly will never ever vote for a party like Reform who I agree with on some things but disagree on most others. I have voted Tory and Lib Dem in the past but certainly not now. That leaves Labour or the Greens and I definitely won't vote Green so I will vote Labour at the next general election.

At a local level however the only councillor who canvassed around here was the Tory one and he just wanted to stop Labour getting in. With local Labour I don't even know who I was voting for let alone what I was voting for so why would I even bother?
You probably had the Tory call and not Labour because you'd previously said you were Tory. We can't get round to ask every previous Tory voter to ask if they've yet seen the light.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.