The Conservative Party

Oh dear - Telegraph is reporting we are on course for a currency crisis and bankruptcy - no idea how they distract their way out of that one?
Its an opinion piece, TBF. Rent a head Warner's job is to look exceedingly rural-white, 50sth, and saying "Its time for less spending, less government!".

Yep. Austerity, that's where we need to be. Easy. Dont cut the grass as often. Dont bail the NHS out! No big projects! Squeeze the workers, no more pay! Hang on! All thats happened already. At breakiing point on all the usual targets, have been for some time. Eventually, when slicing a sausage, there is nowt bloody left. Then you find out, who actually doesnt give a shit, theyll slice their thumb off and say that's their idea of fair, as long as you get none.

Anyway, other similar Telegraph opinion pieces-to-order allege that this crisis is going to make civil servants richer. Usual stuff. The usual "Economic Conservative" safe cards are being wielded out.

Arguable that's roughly how they got into this mess. On the one hand capitalising on Boris' weakness last year to get Saj into Health, pushing further to prevent any restrictions over Xmas. And ultimately 'ending' COVID. Also leaving us the worst recovery rates & largest sick list in Europe. On the other, not coming up with anything which might have helped the economy. Apart from... Tax Cuts, which he wont do - as, rightly or wrongly, no one outside the bitterest of mid and high bracket payers particularly believes thats going to help very much.

Ever decreasing circles.

"Still worth listening Right Leaner" Niall Ferguson, meanwhile, is sort of writing the whole thing off as the end of the Brexit Dream, but that's better saved for the other thread.

Oh, who cares, here you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume those he groped would have to inform the Police they would like to press charges?
Not necessarily, because the law on anonymity of sexual assault victims extends (e g.) to a newspaper making allegations that (e.g.) an MP assaulted another MP. The Sexual Offences Act sort of assumes there is a complainant who is also the victim but it doesn't seem clear whether a complaint has to be made to have an investigation into allegations where the alleged victim has not complained.

(I think...)

Where are the forum's learned friends?

Its an opinion piece, TBF. Rent a head Warner's job is to look exceedingly rural-white, 50sth, and saying "Its time for less spending, less government!".

Yep. Austerity, that's where we need to be. Easy. Dont cut the grass as often. Dont bail the NHS out! No big projects! Squeeze the workers, no more pay! Hang on! All thats happened already. At breakiing point on all the usual targets, have been for some time. Eventually, when slicing a sausage, there is nowt bloody left. Then you find out, who actually doesnt give a shit, theyll slice their thumb off and say that's their idea of fair, as long as you get none.

Anyway, other similar Telegraph opinion pieces-to-order allege that this crisis is going to make civil servants richer. Usual stuff. The usual "Economic Conservative" safe cards are being wielded out.

Arguable that's roughly how they got into this mess. On the one hand capitalising on Boris' weakness last year to get Saj into Health, pushing further to prevent any restrictions over Xmas. And ultimately 'ending' COVID. Also leaving us the worst recovery rates & largest sick list in Europe. On the other, not coming up with anything which might have helped the economy. Apart from... Tax Cuts, which he wont do - as, rightly or wrongly, no one outside the bitterest of mid and high bracket payers particularly believes thats going to help very much.

Ever decreasing circles.

"Still worth listening Right Leaner" Niall Ferguson, meanwhile, is sort of writing the whole thing off as the end of the Brexit Dream, but that's better saved for the other thread.

Oh, who cares, here you go.

That Bloomberg link takes us to awkward territory.
19% of workforce is immigrants... (and it's only EU immigration that's down)...
Why do we need a vision for the future when the population is so old?...

But this government is still wedded to simply stupid ideology, so they won't allow more seasonal workers, food will rot in British fields *, farms will go bankrupt, more food imports at higher prices...

* Toby breakfast on Saturday: no tomatoes ("we couldn't get any").

I see Braverman has been complaining about the civil servants again, and that they aren't helping the govt.

Also, the Pincher line now seems to be that Johnson didn't know of any SPECIFIC allegations. That's okay then, as no comment is made about general chatter and Cummings' input about Pincher.

It's like his defence about parties that "he had been repeatedly assured", as if that's okay. He never said who by and whether they were reasonable people to assure, as opposed to a toadie telling him it was all fine five times in a row. Semantic avoidance, and what he doesn't say, is almost more important than what he does say - such as all those awkward yes/no questions he doesn't answer.

I was pondering yesterday the threat Johnson made about calling an early election in the papers yesterday and it got me thinking... The thing that makes Johnson unique politically is I don't recall another political leader in the UK who cared less for the long term health of their party, sure there have been people that have harmed their party and there have been leaders that made mistakes, but even people like Wilson/Thatcher/Blair I think, wanted the best for their party. Johnson I think would be quite happy to see the Tories unelectable for a generation, over giving up control.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.