The Conservative Party

The old mate of mine who was initially cocky about Brexit and totally sucked into the ideology (the one who along with his brother pretty much cried when they voted for Torys - being sons of a miner) always wanted to retire to Spain.
He thinks this country is a shithole now but I'm going to hazard a guess he won't be moving to Spain at the current rate.
And of course because of his vote this country (which I happen to think is generally fair, dynamic and open) is indeed going to pits now. The irony.

They both have good job (his brother was very, very high up in one of the forces), both bright....struggling to get why they thought a tory vote/brexit was the answer but I suspect it's not pleasant.

Said before, they've succeeded in splitting up a good chunk of the population but then again perhaps they've just exposed, empowered many to be their true selves.
When the 'woke, EU health & safety laws, teachers, the young, the metropolitan bubble (Manchester apparently - he live in the East Midlands) trans rights'' lines flop out someone's mouth you know they've been taken in.
It's not the same anymore.

The old mate of mine who was initially cocky about Brexit and totally sucked into the ideology (the one who along with his brother pretty much cried when they voted for Torys - being sons of a miner) always wanted to retire to Spain.
He thinks this country is a shithole now but I'm going to hazard a guess he won't be moving to Spain at the current rate.
And of course because of his vote this country (which I happen to think is generally fair, dynamic and open) is indeed going to pits now. The irony.

They both have good job (his brother was very, very high up in one of the forces), both bright....struggling to get why they thought a tory vote/brexit was the answer but I suspect it's not pleasant.

Said before, they've succeeded in splitting up a good chunk of the population but then again perhaps they've just exposed, empowered many to be their true selves.
When the 'woke, EU health & safety laws, teachers, the young, the metropolitan bubble (Manchester apparently - he live in the East Midlands) trans rights'' lines flop out someone's mouth you know they've been taken in.
It's not the same anymore.

Both bright...?

Thats where I am - I retired 6 months after Patel glorified in making FoM a thing of the past.....from a personal PoV I would be in Spain or France somewhere now - I would have sold up and bought abroad but they shat on me by imposing something I didn't vote for.

On a wider note I have no sympathy for the guys you speak of - they knew what they were talking about and btw the country was well on its way to being a shithole in 2016 its just they have found their escape hatch closed which is why they are so bitter..... were they able to leave I bet these "patriots" would not give a shite about leaving the country and thats where they find themselves - hoist by their own petard and if I am pissed off I am also happy that they got what they voted for but it turns out it isn't what they wanted......fancy that

Both bright...?
Remarkable, hence why something else perhaps a little more sinister pushed them to vote this way.
I mean he lived and worked in Europe throughout this 20's.
He eventually moved back to his old home town (one of those left on it'c arse after the pits shut) and it wasn't perhaps the best move for him. Currently going through a nightmare divorce.
Beyond politics when the right wing tropes flop out though.

I also think some people have weak spots when it comes to critical thinking (even perhaps maybe not neurotypical).

I should've seen it coming a couple of years back when he was enthusing about this magical horse shampoo that cures baldness (check it out on Amazon).

I also think some people have weak spots when it comes to critical thinking (even perhaps maybe not neurotypical).

People who you think are intelligent it turns out are not simply because they listen to stuff and decide "yep thats right" when in fact as you say they won't question anything by just doing a bit of research - all the issues were flagged up and it sounds like you relatives preferred Project Fear as an asnwer than doing and questioning

should've seen it coming a couple of years back when he was enthusing about this magical horse shampoo that cures baldness (check it out on Amazon).

Neigh he wasn't was he?

Thats where I am - I retired 6 months after Patel glorified in making FoM a thing of the past.....from a personal PoV I would be in Spain or France somewhere now - I would have sold up and bought abroad but they shat on me by imposing something I didn't vote for.

On a wider note I have no sympathy for the guys you speak of - they knew what they were talking about and btw the country was well on its way to being a shithole in 2016 its just they have found their escape hatch closed which is why they are so bitter..... were they able to leave I bet these "patriots" would not give a shite about leaving the country and thats where they find themselves - hoist by their own petard and if I am pissed off I am also happy that they got what they voted for but it turns out it isn't what they wanted......fancy that
Yeah I get that.
We go back a long, long time (but live 60 miles apart) - like over 40 years.
He'll want to visit Manchester again soon even though the recently described it as being a 'Metropolitan bubble'.

I've been through some awfully shit few years and have come out of the other end.
I now about turn the moment I see anyone even a little toxic. I don't take that energy anywhere near me.
I've always been open (my mother taught me to be then way) to change, new people, new cultures, new everthing. It's how I survive.
I don't even think it's particularly pure racism with him (he's someone who when travelling with work will dig out the back street middle eastern, Asian family run restaurants....has a friend from Nigeria, which is very unique for the town he lives in).
Concerned about his kids school containing lots of Polish kids, London being 50% non native etc.

How on earth someone like Rees-Mogg took his heart I'll never know.
Which is why using terms like radicalised isn't at all dramatic. You can see the Mail, Express lines coming a mile off (despite claiming not to read such outlets).
Affected me a little in some ways, but I'm only ever looking forward and not about harking back.

People who you think are intelligent it turns out are not simply because they listen to stuff and decide "yep thats right" when in fact as you say they won't question anything by just doing a bit of research - all the issues were flagged up and it sounds like you relatives preferred Project Fear as an asnwer than doing and questioning

Neigh he wasn't was he?
He flits between absolutely hating where he lives (it's a town quite a few miles out in the sticks that's quite insular), wanting his children to move away as soon as possible and defending it and taking shots at the big cities (despite always wanting to visit).
And of course lots of communities have been left behind, but the solutions where never going to be with this Tory govt.
It's difficult. His head must be completely mashed at the moment. Divorce has been become very bitter and it's not been pleasant and then Brexit utopia (lead by Where's Wally the cosplaying prefect) has come crashing down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.