The Conservative Party

I think I read that Truss has declined.

Johnson was reported to have produced the croniest of lists, although it's got cut down a lot by later reports. Also reported that he wants it delayed by 2 years to prevent a bunch of by-elections. It's totally bent.
By-elections which Labour wins, just so they can go to the Lords which Labour will then abolish.

Both these cunts’ opinions on the economy are less than worthless.
Imagine getting on a train to find a seat at a table. You look up and there's the odious anachronism that is Rees-Mogg sucking up to his chum Dyson.

You then look down the carriage to see Tim Wetherspoon waddling towards the remaining seat right in front of you.

I'd be off that train pronto.

Your guide to not splitting the anti Tory vote

It's not all bad news for Sunak, it's true his poll numbers are terrible but not the wipe out levels they were under Truss. Voter ID and boundary changes will help him massively.

But there are real problems for Labour as well, their support is soft.

A YouGov poll shows 63% of the public think Labour’s poll lead is largely against the government, with only 11% saying it is based on support for the party itself.

Sifting through all this shit and factoring in we don't have proportional representation and recognising that tactical voting is more talked about than a real thing, as it stand the Tories lose the next election to a Labour led coalition.

I'm not in the Labour Party anymore so I don't have a handle on Labour's ground game. I'd appreciate it if anyone still in might enlighten me as to where it stands.

One of the less well reported aspects of the infamous "Beergate" was the question what were the Westminster crowd doing in Durham for the Hartlepool by-election anyway? If memory serves they were there because the local party ground game wasn't working and Starmer and his inner circle had to parachute in draped in the union flag and do the heavy lifting themselves.

If this situation is indicative of the party nationally then Labour are in trouble. Despite what bluethrunthru might bang on about, in politics if you shit on your ground troops they'll not go over the top, they'll not go over the top for you if you lie to them either and for Labour that matters.

Page after page of how shit the Tories are is old man yells at cloud, it changes nothing, It's not enough to know what you hate to win an election.

It's not all bad news for Sunak, it's true his poll numbers are terrible but not the wipe out levels they were under Truss. Voter ID and boundary changes will help him massively.

But there are real problems for Labour as well, their support is soft.

A YouGov poll shows 63% of the public think Labour’s poll lead is largely against the government, with only 11% saying it is based on support for the party itself.

Sifting through all this shit and factoring in we don't have proportional representation and recognising that tactical voting is more talked about than a real thing, as it stand the Tories lose the next election to a Labour led coalition.

I'm not in the Labour Party anymore so I don't have a handle on Labour's ground game. I'd appreciate it if anyone still in might enlighten me as to where it stands.

One of the less well reported aspects of the infamous "Beergate" was the question what were the Westminster crowd doing in Durham for the Hartlepool by-election anyway? If memory serves they were there because the local party ground game wasn't working and Starmer and his inner circle had to parachute in draped in the union flag and do the heavy lifting themselves.

If this situation is indicative of the party nationally then Labour are in trouble. Despite what bluethrunthru might bang on about, in politics if you shit on your ground troops they'll not go over the top, they'll not go over the top for you if you lie to them either and for Labour that matters.

Page after page of how shit the Tories are is old man yells at cloud, it changes nothing, It's not enough to know what you hate to win an election.
I expect the polls to narrow in the next two years, but events are going to remain difficult for Sunak and the Conservatives. They know they face electoral defeat; it’s just a question of how many terms they’ll be out of office. I envisage two.

The greatest concern, more generally, will be voter apathy. It was already an issue and little has altered in the last two years to make people think more favourably either about politicians or about politics. As you say, enthusiasm within parties might also be dampened, and the combination of those factors could lead to a low turn out, and that could determine what government the country next has.

I suspect a few on here would accept a coalition government if it led to electoral reform and then reform more broadly, so the next 18 months will be telling for all parties and the country.

I expect the polls to narrow in the next two years, but events are going to remain difficult for Sunak and the Conservatives. They know they face electoral defeat; it’s just a question of how many terms they’ll be out of office. I envisage two.

The greatest concern, more generally, will be voter apathy. It was already an issue and little has altered in the last two years to make people think more favourably either about politicians or about politics. As you say, enthusiasm within parties might also be dampened, and the combination of those factors could lead to a low turn out, and that could determine what government the country next has.

I suspect a few on here would accept a coalition government if it led to electoral reform and then reform more broadly, so the next 18 months will be telling for all parties and the country.

Can't argue with any of this.

It's impossible to know what Starmer is thinking, he might well fancy a coalition. If he goes in to an election spouting he'll make Brexit work, he'll deprive the Tories of one of their main criticisms of him. If the outcome is a coalition with the Lib Dems, he can blame them if he's "forced" to call another referendum.

Who knows? And the fact that nobody does is both a strength and a weakness.

Last edited:
Can't argue with any of this.

It's impossible to know what Starmer is thinking, he might well fancy a coalition. If he goes in to an election spouting he'll make Brexit work, he'll deprive the Tories of one of their main criticisms of him. If the outcome is a coalition with the Lib Dems, he can blame them if he's "forced" to call another referendum.

Who know? And the fact that nobody does is both a strength and a weakness.
True. As the polls narrow, as one would suspect, there’ll be increased pressure on Starmer from within his party not to need a coalition, but until we’re closer to the election and know the lay of the land, prognostication is meaningless.

True. As the polls narrow, as one would suspect, there’ll be increased pressure on Starmer from within his party not to need a coalition, but until we’re closer to the election and know the lay of the land, prognostication is meaningless.

It is, except....

I'm not so sure the Tories will hang on for another two years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.