The Conservative Party

I feel your pain. Ridiculously unfair for a single occupant to be charged so much when you barely use any of the services.
Until you have a horrendous accident and need not £1,000 a year on social care but £100,000 a month.

And it's not inflation that's made council tax so high. It's Tory policy to withdraw government grants to councils and still expect them to do more.

But I suspect you know that. It's typical Tory - cut the funding then blame the service for being inefficient.

Last edited:
I get your summary, but I don't think it's very fair that I have to pay this amount, its a fucking joke to be honest
The system should be structured on affordability, my own opinion is the singles reduction should be 50% but it won't happen as single people get fucked every which way with everything
Don't forget it's a Tory tax. Thatcher abolished the rates where essentially you were charged for occupying land. Rich people have saved billions with that scam.

Where did I say education isn't important exactly or are you putting words in to my mouth? You suggested Cricket Blue is paying for his own education which is false as his parents and other tax payers paid for it at the time which is decade's a go. I have no issue in my tax covering the education for others despite being childless because it ensures we have future talent to cover all forms of professions.

I agree on your last point, council tax should be implemented in a different way. 75% isn't a bargain though lol, it is quite crippling for single folk.
You surely don't think married people with children are better off financially than single people.

Until you have a horrendous accident and need not £1,000 a month on social care but £100,000 a month.

And it's not inflation that's made council tax so high. It's Tory policy to withdraw government grants to councils and still expect them to do more.

But I suspect you know that. It's typical Tory - cut the funding then blame the service for being inefficient.
I read that council funding has been cut by 40% under the Tories, forcing them to up the rates of CT.

You surely don't think married people with children are better off financially than single people.
Where have I said this exactly? Stop putting words in my mouth and misquoting.

My point is about it being unfair that single occupants pay more than other, what is so hard to understand about that? Not sure if you are in that situation but if you were then the penny might drop.

Until you have a horrendous accident and need not £1,000 a year on social care but £100,000 a month.

My point obviously isn't hitting home with you so I shall put it in to context.

A single person (could be a retired widower/ divorcee / young lad or lass) lives in a property. The council tax for that band of property is £200 a month. Thanks to the single occupancy allowance they pay £150 for council tax.

In a similar property where 3 occupants live, assuming they split the bills 3 ways they're only paying £66.6 each.

Tell me, why should the single occupant have to pay over double what an individual is paying in a house share given we are all entitled to the same services?

I read that council funding has been cut by 40% under the Tories, forcing them to up the rates of CT.
I think the issue here is that anyone can read that, including Tory voters moaning about the rate of CT.

And deprived areas suffer more cuts because they have fewer big houses paying the 5% increase.

All the Tory "levelling up" budget is coming out of money that used to go to all councils as grants and now goes to whoever wins contests for the best bids - and even if there were no political bias in the "judging" the best bids tend to be put together by the councils who can spare the most officer time on the bids (the wealthier councils). But recruitment of council officers is harder because the private sector pays better.

My point obviously isn't hitting home with you so I shall put it in to context.

A single person (could be a retired widower/ divorcee / young lad or lass) lives in a property. The council tax for that band of property is £200 a month. Thanks to the single occupancy allowance they pay £150 for council tax.

In a similar property where 3 occupants live, assuming they split the bills 3 ways they're only paying £66.6 each.

Tell me, why should the single occupant have to pay over double what an individual is paying in a house share given we are all entitled to the same services?
Then in a housing shortage move to a smaller property rather than under-occupying a large one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.