The Conservative Party

There's plenty of new services not included within the usual public transport. Zip Car hire service, scooters. Fat lazy bastards could just get a mobility scooter.
I'm assuming the 560 flights a day over Uxbridge in and out of Heathrow in August will be ulez compliant too? - just thinking of the kids asthma obviously.

I love the cheek of the Tories with this ULEZ thing.

Mayor Khan and all local government authorities are mere creatures of statute. They can do nothing without parliamentary authority. They have no independent power whatsoever and if they exceed their powers the courts can and do slap them down for acting ultra vires.

In this case, the legislation behind ULEZ was passed in this Parliament, which the Tories control.

They could, if they wished, repeal the legislation or heavily amend it. They could, for example, make it so that ULEZ could only be implemented if conditions A, B and C were applied. They could even require a local referendum.

They don't because it's politically useful to blame Labour for these schemes, and they know that the electorate will often be taken in when they, as Tories, in effect oppose their own freaking legislation!

That's up to the lib dem voters it's their business not yours. You do know that Labour doesn't have to win every seat nor is it a good thing for them to appear more popular than they are. The Tories will be beaten and Labour will win the next election but its not good if the victory is too large.
If that means the Tory party disintegrates it will be brilliant. In fact a whig revival with the LIb Dems (and SNP) vying to be a loyal and not nasty opposition could leave the Tories as the fascist rump they've been creating for themselves.

I love the cheek of the Tories with this ULEZ thing.

Mayor Khan and all local government authorities are mere creatures of statute. They can do nothing without parliamentary authority. They have no independent power whatsoever and if they exceed their powers the courts can and do slap them down for acting ultra vires.

In this case, the legislation behind ULEZ was passed in this Parliament, which the Tories control.

They could, if they wished, repeal the legislation or heavily amend it. They could, for example, make it so that ULEZ could only be implemented if conditions A, B and C were applied. They could even require a local referendum.

They don't because it's politically useful to blame Labour for these schemes, and they know that the electorate will often be taken in when they, as Tories, in effect oppose their own freaking legislation!
The Tories will be the fully fledged anti-ULEZ party for the next election. It could help them retain up to around 25 seats in outer London. Amusingly, it won’t do much for them in the other 96% of the country.

The Tories will be the fully fledged anti-ULEZ party for the next election. It could help them retain up to around 25 seats in outer London. Amusingly, it won’t do much for them in the other 96% of the country.

I cannot believe how Labour during the run up to the byelection and today did not major on the fact that ULEZ was introduced by by Johnson when he was London Mayor and the widening of the scheme was forced by central govt headed by Johnson at that time via Shapps his transport minister who made the ULEZ extension an integral part of the emergency funding for TFL during the pandemic. Had Khan not agreed everything run by TFL would have stopped within a couple of days

I cannot believe how Labour during the run up to the byelection and today did not major on the fact that ULEZ was introduced by by Johnson when he was London Mayor and the widening of the scheme was forced by central govt headed by Johnson at that time via Shapps his transport minister who made the ULEZ extension an integral part of the emergency funding for TFL during the pandemic. Had Khan not agreed everything run by TFL would have stopped within a couple of days
Agreed. It was terrible campaigning by Labour to let the Tories get away with positioning themselves as the anti-ULEZ party.

Maybe if we'd not escaped the European heatwave and people had been voting in 40 degree heat, some of the ULEZ rationale would have been pointed up.

Thats why I said distraction - never gonna happen - I'd imagine there would be uproar - God only knows what they could find/unearth that would delay things at great cost. I was there a couple of years ago and the new road system they have with parking and shuttle buses is miles better than it was 20 years ago PLUS the A303 is not the main artery to the South West that it once was
The A303 is a nightmare and is the main artery to the South West. I live near Glastonbury and work in Taunton, so have to use the A303 on a regular basis. That being said, although everyone slowing down to look at Stonehenge is annoying, adding half hour to a journey does not justify building any tunnel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.