The Conservative Party

Nope.

Uxbridge is north of Heathrow. Not on the flight path
Great, good job air traffic never routinely 'stack' the inbound flights circling over all the new London ulez boroughs then. Otherwise tonnes of toxins would be dumped all over them. Heathrow itself of course is bang inside the new ulez zone and all the residents nearby will now enjoy clean air for their kids because they have new cars.

Great, good job air traffic never routinely 'stack' the inbound flights circling over all the new London ulez boroughs then. Otherwise tonnes of toxins would be dumped all over them. Heathrow itself of course is bang inside the new ulez zone and all the residents nearby will now enjoy clean air for their kids because they have new cars.
Nice try, but the Heathrow stacks are more over green belt than London boroughs.

Nice try, but the Heathrow stacks are more over green belt than London boroughs.
Sorry no air traffic over the ulez zone? Lol. It's one of the busiest bits of sky in the world. There is a small wedge of airspace that is clear of Heathrow traffic around Uxbridge as you say - a fairly neat wedge from the other side of the A40. I wonder what for....

None of that really matters unless you're talking about noise pollution. Aircraft fly in the air and air moves around so it's irrelevant where they are.

The stacks are set to reduce noise impact above all else. Aircraft produce the most pollution on takeoff whereas the engines tend to be at lower speeds on approach. There are local pollution and noise sensors at airports for this reason as operators have to reduce takeoff engine speeds wherever possible.

Look at any pollution map of the area near an airport, it's always worse directly around the takeoff runway but relatively non-existent elsewhere.

The worst I've seen for pollution in London is on the underground. I had to go to London for work last Tuesday and I only took a few trips on the underground but afterwards my nose was pouring out and full of black gunk.

Ulez itself is fine for all the reasons you suggest. The issue is the speed of the expansion at a time when people do not have the money to replace their cars.
Only 10% of people living in Uxbridge drive non ULEZ compliant vehicles. All diesel cars registered after September 2015 (although, in practice, many registered before that date are fine as well) and petrol cars registered after 2005 are all compliant. So it’s only the most polluting vehicles they‘re talking about.

Last edited:
None of that really matters unless you're talking about noise pollution. Aircraft fly in the air and air moves around so it's irrelevant where they are.

The stacks are set to reduce noise impact above all else. Aircraft produce the most pollution on takeoff whereas the engines tend to be at lower speeds on approach. There are local pollution and noise sensors at airports for this reason as operators have to reduce takeoff engine speeds wherever possible.

Look at any pollution map of the area near an airport, it's always worse directly around the takeoff runway but relatively non-existent elsewhere.

The worst I've seen for pollution in London is on the underground. I had to go to London for work last Tuesday and I only took a few trips on the underground but afterwards my nose was pouring out and full of black gunk.
Yes, concentrated in The underground, but can't even begin to think what that must be like when they were steam powered. I'm not actually against ulez, I just think it should be more gradually and intelligently introduced. Probably nationwide too unless anyone thinks there is a magic forcefield around the M25 that means it's ok outside of it. In reality we are all moving to greener vehicles anyway as old cars die and newer ones are bought - that's not going to make the London mayor any money though.

Only 10% of people living in Uxbridge drive non ULEZ compliant vehicles. All diesel cars registered after September 2015 (although, in practice, many registered before that date are fine as well) and petrol cars registered before 2005 are all compliant. So it’s only the most polluting vehicles they‘re talking about.
Yes, the poorest people.

I suspect there’s a significant number of people who don’t realise that the ULEZ won’t actually affect them because they’ve not checked and are instinctively against it because they believe the propaganda. When it come in and they realise it’s costing them nothing the issue will go away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.