The Conservative Party

I was looking through which Tories have been elected as they will need a new leader with Sunak stepping down and to be honest I can not see one who would be a worthy leader.

So i had a look at Tory social media, which btw is very weird and people were suggesting Ian Duncan Smith. If they do actually go for him it will just confirm they have totally lost the plot.

Any suggestions as to who else might take over?

I do think that this Labour government needs an effective opposition as that is how our system works and it helps protect us from the tyranny of the mass majority. I just do not see it though and that concerns me.
Ideally Patel becomes leader of the tories, 25 one nation centrist MP's defect to the Lib-dems and Ed Davey becomes leader of the opposition.

I was looking through which Tories have been elected as they will need a new leader with Sunak stepping down and to be honest I can not see one who would be a worthy leader.

So i had a look at Tory social media, which btw is very weird and people were suggesting Ian Duncan Smith. If they do actually go for him it will just confirm they have totally lost the plot.

I do think that this Labour government needs an effective opposition as that is how our system works and it helps protect us from the tyranny of the mass majority. I just do not see it though and that concerns me.

They've got the same problem as when changing leaders during the last Parliament.

MPs get to reduce it to 2, but the members didn't choose a leader based on winning an election.

If they can't match those two aspects, it doesn't matter much. They'd be better off making sure that there is only 1 candidate, with the others withdrawing, and taking it out of the hands of the membership.

121 MPs, 26 brand new and therefore unknown, but 41 is enough to be one of the last two.

I'd heard IDS as a potential stand-in (Sunak does the PMQs before the recess, and an interim leader takes over - Hunt seems a good bet for that, but IDS probably could corral them.

They've got the same problem as when changing leaders during the last Parliament.

MPs get to reduce it to 2, but the members didn't choose a leader based on winning an election.

If they can't match those two aspects, it doesn't matter much. They'd be better off making sure that there is only 1 candidate, with the others withdrawing, and taking it out of the hands of the membership.

121 MPs, 26 brand new and therefore unknown, but 41 is enough to be one of the last two.

I'd heard IDS as a potential stand-in (Sunak does the PMQs before the recess, and an interim leader takes over - Hunt seems a good bet for that, but IDS probably could corral them.

They need to pick someone in their mid 20's so that when they finally get back into number 10 he/she/they will be middle aged and ready for the job.

They need to pick someone in their mid 20's so that when they finally get back into number 10 he/she/they will be middle aged and ready for the job.

Meaning one of the new group?
That would be an insane risk.

mid 30s, early 40s at the youngest.

Badenoch/Braverman are 44, Victoria Atkins (who would be terrible) is 48.

Reactions: BTH

Nobody really knows how soon it will be for them to recover they went through so many leaders. IMHO it's going to take a generation for them to be re-elected.

Unless Labour have a nightmare first term and the voting public are massively fickle.

Ideally Patel becomes leader of the tories, 25 one nation centrist MP's defect to the Lib-dems and Ed Davey becomes leader of the opposition.

If only, but your underlying point is very true; the Lib Dems would provide by far a more effective opposition from a number of perspectives.

Kemi Badenoch, Priti Patel and Tom Tugendhat seem to be the favourites followed by outliers like Victoria Atkins and Robert Jenrick. Of them all, Tugendhat is clearly the sensible choice - not that that cuts any ice in the Tory Party!

Christ Badenoch or Braverman, how low can they go? It isn't just about the political standpoint but the Tories also need a character who comes across as just normal.... Those two are idiots.

The greatest loss for the Tories was when they binned off sensible people like Rory Stewart.

Tyranny, from Starmer?

Christ Badenoch or Braverman, how low can they go? It isn't just about the political standpoint but the Tories also need a character who comes across as just normal.... Those two are idiots.

The greatest loss for the Tories was when they binned off sensible people like Rory Stewart.

Indeed - the Johnson purge destroyed the backbenches.

Badenoch and/or Braverman are going to both want a top job - neither could be Chancellor, Foreign Sec isn't as important as it used to be and only one can be Home Sec. An awkward circle to square.

When you have only 95 people who have been through a parliament, and only 40 ish have been an MP for more than 9 years (Swayne, Chope, IDS, Davis!), I don't know how you find someone moderate who won't get eaten alive by Farage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.