The Curious Case of Dele Alli | Emotional Overlap interview (p 19)

Call me crazy but I never thought he was that good to begin with. He had a presence about him on the pitch and he was certainly effective but his attitude was always shit and he wasn't talented enough for that to be tolerated when the goals dried up.

I can remember when people were advocating us dropping £100m+ on him. Never understood that.

Here here.
I despise United as much as the next guy, but Marcus Rashford is a genuine, decent, hard-working, inspirational young man who has used his good fortune to try and ensure a better life for people less fortunate are than himself.
I can easily look past who he plays for, the lad is a treasure. A magnificent human being.
The wonderful thing about football is that he can be all those things and still a massive prick

I always thought Pritchard would do better and Alli would just be a bit part player. Lo and behold he was brilliant in his first three seasons. He was full of confidence and swagger and didn't fear any team.

My theory is he first fell out with Poch, he wanted more from him from pressing and being more involved. Instead of getting a positive reaction or taking onboard the constructive critisicism it backfired and his demenour changed. He was always in two minds.

Throw in an injury and Jose coming in, it started off well but faded badly.

The move to Everton was tough as I think Frank wanted to play him more, but if they went down then they would have had to fork up 40m and barely been financially stable with the parachute payments. 20 minutes here and there were hardly going to boost his confidence. Them breaks of international duty, waiting over ten days for match day and not knowing if you'll get a start, ten minute cameo or not feature at all just messed with his head more.

I think he's hit rock bottom confidence wise, and being played sporadically, the game seems ten times faster if you're not up to speed. He was never the quickest even then.

I don't know what his future holds, when he's in full swing he's excellent but a poor Alli is just a passenger.

I hope he sorts himself out!

Shame he just decided to make a big point in front of the TV cameras and not actually fix anything.

Compare that to ten Hag's treatment of Sancho. Realised he was really struggling on and off the pitch, in a bad environment. So he took him out of it, sent him to train 1 on 1 under a coach he knew in the Netherlands for 3 months, told the press he was out indefinitely and wasn't talking about it further, and since he's brought him back he's been one of their better players and looks a lot more like the Sancho from Dortmund.

Why would you invite the Amazon cameras to a really important heart to heart conversation about someone's future, an intervention?
The player must have agreed to it

Call me crazy but I never thought he was that good to begin with. He had a presence about him on the pitch and he was certainly effective but his attitude was always shit and he wasn't talented enough for that to be tolerated when the goals dried up.

I can remember when people were advocating us dropping £100m+ on him. Never understood that.

I agree with that. I thought he was widely overrated. He was effective playing just off Kane, and making those late runs into the box, where he got a good number of goals. He did well there, but it helps when you have the likes of Kane, Son, Erikson, etc as teammates and the team set up is well organised, as it was under Pochettino, who got the best out of him in that formation and number 10 position. Outside of his favourite number 10 role, there isn't much, he's not a particularly good dribbler, doesn't get many assists, isn't very creative and can't play on the flanks. If he doesn't score he might as well not be there. Compare Alli to the likes of Foden, Grealish and Saka and its chalk and cheese.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.