The Curious Case of Dele Alli | Emotional Overlap interview (p 19)

There have been quite a few 'new George Bests' over the years, and it seems to be fatal to their careers to be so overhyped. It's like a writer being called the 'new Tolstoy'. Set up to fail, and for people to laugh at you.

I recall Phil Jones was the 'new Duncan Edwards'. What a joke.

Dele’s story is not unique but it is a cautionary tale for any young phenom (something the likes of Foden. Palmer, Lewis, and others should take special note of).

For those that may not have seen the recent news, Dele’s been “banished” from his loan team in Turkey and it is reported Everton are going to terminate his contract. He’s now come out in a feud with the Besiktas manager, which I am sure will improve the situation.

From PFA Young Player of the Year (scoring the Goal of the Year) to being banished from playing and soon without a club in just six years, despite being only 26 (usually just the beginning of the prime years of a footballer).

I was thinking of other curious cases like this and the disappointing (and often short) careers after early promise of Stephen Ireland and Freddy Adu come to mind (the very last more of a global oddity).

I suppose you could add Balotelli to that list, as well. Though, I think it could be argued he had perhaps the biggest impact on football of all those referenced.

What other Delesque players would you add to the list?

Edit: I have removed my references to Michael Johnson and Paul Lake as some have taken extreme offence to their inclusion.

I will just explain that this thread was meant to discuss Alli (obviously) and other promising players (some that may have briefly achieved some measure of recognised success, as in the case of Lake, Johnson, Ireland, Rodwell, etc.) that never quite reached their perceived potential or their careers quickly fizzled out before their “prime” years, be it because of the unfortunate onset of early injuries, poor attitude, controversies, external events out of their control, overhype or some combination of all of that, hence the connections among them.

I believe they all present “curious cases” to be examined, discussed, and used as case studies for young players coming through now, so they might avoid similar outcomes, if at all possible.

Franny Jeffers

Jon Flanagan is another one to add to the list of alleged talents ruined by injury.

They called him the "Scouse Cafu" and he even broke into the England squad, getting on the reserve list for the World Cup in 2014. And, of course, he was one of those players that Klopp raved about when he arrived in the Prem (although he basically does that with everyone as part of his inane buddy-buddy "management style")

Scousers talked about him like he'd play 500 games and win 5 Champions Leagues with the club. He retired at 29 after playing 80 league games in his entire career, including four in the Danish league and a couple of half seasons at Rangers. He also assaulted his girlfriend so fuck him, that's karma for you, matey.

Someone mentioned Danny Rose playing for Watford, but he doesn't. Watford terminated his contract in September 2022, and he hasn't played for anyone since. That's half a year without a club for a 32-year ex-England international who used to play for Spurs for a dozen years.
When we signed Walker, it was mentioned that we might sign him as well!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.