The difference between a City fan and a United fan?

paulchapo said:
I have supported City for over 40 years.When i started the two clubs were probably neck and neck,although we were the newly promoted upstarts where as they had been at the top for years.Both teams had great players.United Charlton,Best,Law,us Bell,Lee and Summerbee.In spite of this City were still regarded as the underdogs and looked down on by the rags and the media[which wasn't as influentual then pre sky and internet days.]

I just liked everything City stood for,from the genial smiling Joe Mercer to the exciting brash Malcolm Allison.I read an interview when he said we would be better than them and he wanted to put the pride back in the club and get more kids wearing blue and white scarves with a smile on their faces.I was sold and City it definately was for me from there on in.

I have never once regretted that decision.Even when they were winning trophy after trophy and we were playing at Macclesfield and Walsall i loved almost every minute.Our fans had humour,humility and most of all loyalty even when getting stick and the piss taken from every concievable angle we stood firm and proud.Other fans admired us and our loyalty shook the red side because they knew we had something no amount of money and trophies could buy.

Many times i was asked,''How CAN you support that shower of shit???'' I would just smile and reply,''You would never understand,that's why you support United.''

Let no bastard tell you this club has no soul or history.We have proved it over barren cold windswept years on falling down terraces far and wide.Every success we may have in the future has been earned,not bought,by the unshakeable love,loyalty,humility and humour of our magnificent fans of who i am proud to say i am one.That my friend is the difference.

Fantastic post, I too saw the golden years of 1967-1972 when we swept everything before us and certainly had Uniteds measure in the derby's during that time, even after that period from 1973-1979 when things got leaner we still had Uniteds measure, and its true in those days the coverage wasnt as in depth [ no tunnel cam, inside City ect ], you just read a bit in the papers or tune in to match of the day and that was it.......the United fans always had this arrogance about themselve's, believing they could'nt be as bad as City, but we must never stopped to such levels that they go to [ open aired comments in the media, constant sniping ect], we have had to battle to get where we are now, but I tell you, its great to see whats coming together in spirit within the team and also throughout the fans, and this is making the journey we are on so worth while, United can keep being what it is, but I love my CITY through and through..................

Humility; the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

I've always found it comes down to a sense of humour, we see things in a different light to them lot, they just come across as arrogant with no perspective outside of what they are told to think by their club, wheras we, generally find something to have a depreciating laugh at ourselves, something they could never do.

United fans are very arrogant, I agree, but they also believe in their manager and ALWAYS believe they can win (even when they are 3-0 down, as someone said earlier). We've been unsuccessful for years now, and now that we have such high expectations surrounding us whenever we lose it seems to be the end of the world. Impending doom! We need to believe lads.. and ladies. We must believe in sheikh mansour, khaldoon, mancini and the players. Negativity will reflect in the players! So lets be loud as fuck at Stoke!!!<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm --<br /><br />
BWTAC said:
I've always found it comes down to a sense of humour, we see things in a different light to them lot, they just come across as arrogant with no perspective outside of what they are told to think by their club, wheras we, generally find something to have a depreciating laugh at ourselves, something they could never do.

Agree with this ^^^ they dont have the ability to laugh at themselves

Thanks i am glad some of you liked my post.There are some United fans i actually do feel sorry for.They are the older fans who didn't jump on the sky bandwaggon but who have supported the club from the sixties and before.It is these that you can usually have a decent conversation with and get some praise when we deserve it.

As someone else rightly pointed out the majority of United fans downfall is they have never experianced watching turgid shite,saw relegation after relegation,spent 35 years without winning a trophy.They have only ever been used to winning and trophies year after year.They know no other life and if such misfortune hits them[Please God,lol!] they won't cope.

We on the other hand come from a tougher stock.We have sailed through the eye of the storm,lost a few along the way,steadied the ship and come through stronger as the promised land looms on the horizon.We have richly earnt our day in the sun and long may it shine on us.

As a glory hunter (not true, see below), I have to say that you need to be some sort of masochist to support City.

I'm NOT a glory hunter, having supported City since the first game I saw at Maine Road in December 1967, a 4-1 win against Stoke. Having experienced the highs of the first few years (League in 68, Cup in 69, League Cup in 70, Cup Winners' Cup in 1970 - I was there, wet through, in Vienna , beating the rags at the swamp year after year after year, losing to Wolves at Wembley in 74, beating Newcastle at Wembley in 76, the two finals against Spurs in 81), I was also there for the lows, starting with relegation against Luton.

Supporting those swamp dwellers is for a different breed of person. I'm sure that they have some sensible fans, but the majority of them, young and old alike, just jump on the bandwagon and 'support' the team that wins trophies.

Would I ever want to be one of them? NEVER! We've suffered more than most fans over the last three and a half decades, but they will never understand what our loyalty and love is all about.

Now that I live in Spain, it's the same deal over here: either you support Barca or Madrid. Well, I don't. I'm a UD Salamanca season-ticket holder and see as many games as I can, home and away. But I still manage to get to see the real love of my life (the missus? No, City) as often as I can. All the European away games this year, and I'll be there on April 11 against West Brom at home.

City till we die! But let's put these rags in their place as soon as we can!

Can see where your coming from but can only speak about my mates who support man u they go like me they work hard to pay to go to the games when there shite they say there shite they tend to concentrate on there own team like myself,now as for the tossers who sit in the pub and watch every game i feel these are the people who push people to be ABUs totally agree with the media situation but as i said in the townley after Chelsea its up to us to knock them of the massive pedestal, themselfs and the media have placed them on and the only way to do that is to win the league and leave them potless making the charity sheild the most important cup in premier league history cos they won it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.