The difference between a City fan and a United fan?

I was actually asked this very same question by a girl I met from Brunei during freshers week at university.

It was her, another lad and myself stood having a drink when we got to the topic of where I came from. When I said Manchester, the very first thing out of her mouth was, "Oh, like Manchester United?" That's when the guy stood next to me piped up, bold as brass, "Yeah, I'm a United fan," he said, smugly.

I remained polite though and explained I was actually a City fan, so that's when she said, "What's the difference between a United fan and a City fan?" As I didn't have all night I just said, "Well, there's a lot of differences between us, but you'll find a lot of United fans have never been to Manchester or even seen their own stadium. Whereas we're more of a localised club. Watch this." I turned to the rag, "So where are you from?"

"London." He replied, not looking quite so smug.

"Ever been to Manchester?"

"No."

He didn't talk to me for the rest of the evening.

Zabbasbeard said:
Great post that, Fulabeer.

Much of the press and TV pundits have tried to whip up hatred against us and they are failing because of our humour and humility and becuase of teh rags lack of humility, nastiness and arrogance (club and supporters)
:
Heard so many Arsenal and Liverpool fans say they'd rather we win the League than them.

The day after our 6-1 win over rags a Sheff Weds fan stopped me in the street (I was wearing a City scarf where I work in Sheff) and said "I'm so glad you beat THEM".

A Sheff Utd fan said to me last week they'd rather we win the league than the rags. Some of them hate them too because rags think they have a monopoly on the word "U****d" with their "U****d this...U****d that..."

Yesterday another Sheffield Wednesday supporter struck up conversation with me the other day over a cup of tea. he said “great results for you last night. Hope you win it. I hate Man U”

I asked him why? After all, how can anyone POSSIBLY hate Manchester United?

“They bully referees. Ferguson in particular. I don’t like their attitude” and then he paused. “They don’t play good football.”

The recurring theme also is that fans of other clubs tend to say though how arrogant United fans and their players are.

That's the difference between us and them.
Some of us, and them!

Some of our lot are as bad as the worst of the Rags.

Zabbasbeard said:
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Out of all my red mates there's about 2 I can have a general conversation with, there's another but he's only alright when he's the only red there (shit house). Another thing that winds me up the only banter they mostly come out with is something to do with our fan base, hardly ever the team anymore. They have the cheek to talk about attendence's their never apart of and call our attendence's to blue's who turn up. And for some reason our stadium is empty even though we get 47,000 every week, they also say 'all your fans are from Stockport' to people who they know arn't, that's just plain stupid.

Not being funny I'd rather have a stadium full of people from Stockport, Greater MANCHESTER, than have people from not from the same continent.

I'm not going to take that last statement as in any way prejudiced, ok. i take it you don't mind people of different races supporting City.

I say that as my late Dad was from India, loved football, and took me to Manchester City when I was a teenager and I was hooked. I am forever grateful to him, and still was even when i was at York in Dec 1998!

I didn't mean it like that mate, just stating a fact that majority of United fans are idiots, hope you know what I mean!

We're supporters and some of us have followed our team for many years, through thick and thin. We may have had a moan every now and again but by and large we take pleasure from just being City fans, from having the sense of humour that marks us out and hte attitude that if there's 100 ways to do something right and 1 way to do it wrong, then we know which one we will pick.

They (or most of them anyway) have attached themselves to a club merely because it's successful despite the fact they have no ties to it.

The difference is that we've been there when times are bad whereas 90% of their "fans" would disappear if they'd had a spell of 35 years without success as we did.

The partners son(Utd fan) moved back in with us before the 6-1 and watched it in the pub.He came home and said "that was embarassing" I said yes it was for Utd.They never seem to admit the better team may have won,it seems to be always how they lose a game,rather than the better team won.I have tried to educate him but have given up now as its part of their nature and mindset.

Lots of differences but the main ones I notice:

1- City fans know who they are playing next(rags don't even know whether they are home or away)

2- Rag fans feel no shame walking around in a rag shirt shopping etc whilst there so called team is playing.

3- Rag fans I know in Salford feel no shame walking to the pub with a rag shirt and scarf on(whilst the swamp less than two miles has empty seats)

3- Rag fans have no interest in any other football games(that don't involve them)
I'm actually embarrassed to talk football with them it's like talking to a woman about football:)

4- Rag fans are a lot more aggressive and don't do comedy.

Loads more differences but above all they are scum as demonstrated so well by there leader Taggart.

danburge, agreed, some of us, however there is still a pattern of behaviour that afflicts MOST of the rag support.<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm --<br /><br />
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Zabbasbeard said:
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Out of all my red mates there's about 2 I can have a general conversation with, there's another but he's only alright when he's the only red there (shit house). Another thing that winds me up the only banter they mostly come out with is something to do with our fan base, hardly ever the team anymore. They have the cheek to talk about attendence's their never apart of and call our attendence's to blue's who turn up. And for some reason our stadium is empty even though we get 47,000 every week, they also say 'all your fans are from Stockport' to people who they know arn't, that's just plain stupid.

Not being funny I'd rather have a stadium full of people from Stockport, Greater MANCHESTER, than have people from not from the same continent.

I'm not going to take that last statement as in any way prejudiced, ok. i take it you don't mind people of different races supporting City.

I say that as my late Dad was from India, loved football, and took me to Manchester City when I was a teenager and I was hooked. I am forever grateful to him, and still was even when i was at York in Dec 1998!

I didn't mean it like that mate, just stating a fact that majority of United fans are idiots, hope you know what I mean!

Thought that you didn't mean it. Just wanted to know for sure (as i don't know you), mate. Cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.