The End of on Street Parking within walking distance of the Etihad

Just for interest sake, the T20 cricket international yesterday at Edgbaston was an attempt at a Net Zero energy event*. All the car parks were closed and they were using bus shuttles from the train station to the ground. I’m actually up for that myself. I would go so far to make all public transport free on weekends in the GM region but ban cars completely.

*Sounds like the England team complied anyway.
Oh that’s interesting - I went to a Hundred match there a few weeks ago and used the shuttle bus from the station - but then discovered that it after the match it just went out into all the traffic with no dedicated bus route - the situation made worse by a road closure. It took an hour to get back to station - I would have happily walked, but wife cant quite manage that.

Of course, with that sort of system also relies on good park and ride facilities, or reliable trains/buses from outside the area and people willing to change their car reliant habits.

Just for interest sake, the T20 cricket international yesterday at Edgbaston was an attempt at a Net Zero energy event*. All the car parks were closed and they were using bus shuttles from the train station to the ground. I’m actually up for that myself. I would go so far to make all public transport free on weekends in the GM region but ban cars completely.

*Sounds like the England team complied anyway.
You mean like in Istanbul :) :). :)

Oh that’s interesting - I went to a Hundred match there a few weeks ago and used the shuttle bus from the station - but then discovered that it after the match it just went out into all the traffic with no dedicated bus route - the situation made worse by a road closure. It took an hour to get back to station - I would have happily walked, but wife cant quite manage that.

Of course, with that sort of system also relies on good park and ride facilities, or reliable trains/buses from outside the area and people willing to change their car reliant habits.
The media were reporting that it was a success (judging by the long queues to board a shuttle) but I'm not sure that's what people who used it would be saying if they had long waits. As you say the problem is the roads are just clogged up and the buses just end up no faster than walking.

The media were reporting that it was a success (judging by the long queues to board a shuttle) but I'm not sure that's what people who used it would be saying if they had long waits. As you say the problem is the roads are just clogged up and the buses just end up no faster than walking.
The reporter who observed the queues and took a taxi.

It was the cars that caused the traffic chaos there, the buses were a decent idea just that you have to give them priority over other vehicles to make them work, which they overlooked.
But there certainly weren’t enough buses to cope

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.