The game is off

I was walking to the ground when I found out. Perfectly playable, but it was a bit scary at around 6pm in town. Also a lot of local trains were cancelled or delayed.

Danamy said:
Damocles said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Please save us from daft self-centred "it's a disgrace" rants. I know it's England, and it has to be someone's fault, but sometimes these things just happen. If someone had died the exact same people would have been calling it 'a disgrace' to have gone ahead.

Bang on. The Everton game was called off because apparently the tile from a roof on the way there were getting damaged blown into the street by the winds.

Can you imagine the absolute uproar from people if they knew this was happening, let the game go ahead, and somebody got injured?

The GMP and Safety Officer did their jobs tonight, which was to call of the game when they couldn't guarantee the safety of all the attendees. The lateness of the decision is because wind speed and impact on such a local scale are almost impossible to predict and they wanted to give the game every opportunity to go ahead. 1 hour before the game is when most games get called off for this type of thing, and we were ahead of Everton by 15 minutes. I don't presume their Safety Officer is "getting the sack" either.

Some really ridiculous opinions on here at times.

Spot on

Amazing how many people are happy to put themselves and others in danger to watch a football match?

The people who are saying why leave it so late, I'm sure they were waiting to see if it died down but it didn't, shit happens and the call was correct for everyone.

What a wanker

We just spent 7 hours in the car for nothing. I wish they had decided earlier in the day that it was going to be off. On a positive note, if we can get some of our key players back for the re arranged game then it could be a blessing in disguise.

CheshireMark said:
Danamy said:
Damocles said:
Bang on. The Everton game was called off because apparently the tile from a roof on the way there were getting damaged blown into the street by the winds.

Can you imagine the absolute uproar from people if they knew this was happening, let the game go ahead, and somebody got injured?

The GMP and Safety Officer did their jobs tonight, which was to call of the game when they couldn't guarantee the safety of all the attendees. The lateness of the decision is because wind speed and impact on such a local scale are almost impossible to predict and they wanted to give the game every opportunity to go ahead. 1 hour before the game is when most games get called off for this type of thing, and we were ahead of Everton by 15 minutes. I don't presume their Safety Officer is "getting the sack" either.

Spot on

Amazing how many people are happy to put themselves and others in danger to watch a football match?

The people who are saying why leave it so late, I'm sure they were waiting to see if it died down but it didn't, shit happens and the call was correct for everyone.

What a wanker
Don't be so self defricating

Went corporate tonight and City have generously agreed to provide tonight's meal and drinks gratis.
What's not to like?

Danamy said:

The dangers were already well established, and have been since last night when the red warning was issued. All day it has been like this with snowballing road closures and train line closures. So, what actually happened is anyone who has to set off before twenty to seven were actually endangered unnecessarily. For some on here, that has meant horrendously long dangerous journeys for no reason. You're attempting to create a straw man by arguing that people who wanted the match to go ahead aren't considering the safety of others. Not true. Very few have argued the decision to postpone was wrong (and one of those being Pigeonho who never goes to games and a couple of our foreign fans) because of safety concerns, We've been out there on the roads tonight. We know it's fucking dangerous. What many have said is that it should have been much sooner thus ensuring the safety and convenience of far more people.

CheshireMark said:
Danamy said:
Damocles said:

Spot on

What a wanker

Would you like to expand, or anything over three words and your out of your depth?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.