john charles
bobby charlton
pele
beresa
romario
puskas
gascoigne
bell

How old are you mate? John Charles & Puskas? I'm 51 and never saw them... you must be getting your bus pass soon eh?

Less of the sniping 'bout bus passes. They're bloody handy, as are the free prescriptions, the winter firewood allowance and the free sight tests. Saves me a fortune wasting money on fripperies. With that £200 fuel money, I can plough it into the club and get the shirts with suitable names and numbers.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
levets said:
How old are you mate? John Charles & Puskas? I'm 51 and never saw them... you must be getting your bus pass soon eh?

Less of the sniping 'bout bus passes. They're bloody handy, as are the free prescriptions, the winter firewood allowance and the free sight tests. Saves me a fortune wasting money on fripperies. With that £200 fuel money, I can plough it into the club and get the shirts with suitable names and numbers.

I get free prescriptions anyway....

davepick said:
Comparing eras is difficult because of equipment (leather boots & balls as opposed to lightweight materials of later years), diet, training regimes etc.No one has mentioned Stanley Matthews or Tom Finney, two of the best I ever saw.But my vote goes for the incomparable PELE. If you never saw the sequence of him in the 1970 (I think) World Cup you are unlucky. Pele had everything, skill, speed, shooting and heading power and strength.He even played in goal quite often. Probably the greatest all-round player ever.
I agree it is impossible to generalise with Technology improving equipment and coaching technique getting more specific each year,as do fitness regimes. My Dad told me about those Great players you just mentioned, and from books, and listening to him and his brothers talking and debating, I picked up names like Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower,Dixy Dean a bit before him. I even remember them going on about Johnny Haines, someone called Jim Baxter, a Scot I think. They raved about Lev Yashin the Russian goalie and his “revolutionary” new training techniques,(a machine that threw balls at him like a machine gun) and he was often discussed with awe. Would be great if any one out there saw any of these players to throw into the hat, or even had pics to upload for posterity. Soz went a bit off topic there.

Has to be Pele then George Best way above Maradonna, for a very simple reason.
When something a player does makes me smile with sheer joy, that's a great moment.
Robbie has it also, in that like Pele, he plays with a smile on his face. That's why he must never leave.
Saw Bestie when they came to Maine Road for the derbies , late 60's and he would never dive or cheat but get kicked, get up and try and score(that's why the red Ronaldo can never be called great).
But I remember Pele for the 1970 World Cup when I was 15 and stayed up late every night to watch the matches that I think kicked off about 1100.
England did give Brazil a great game that year, but one of the best matches I ever saw was the semi final between Italy and West Germany, 4-3. Regarded by many as the Game of the Century!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.