The Holistic Approach

hgblue said:
It was Van Persie's goals that won the title for United last season, and I have a sneaking feeling that it will be Rooney's that win the title for Chelsea this season. You can tell me how wonderful this new 'holistic' approach is at the end of the season when the title's in the bag. Until then, I'm a sceptic I'm afraid.

So let me just get this right so we are on the same page, you think someone that doesnt even play for chelsea is going to win the title for them, even though he has never been top scorer before ? that coupled with the fact they havent even bid for him yet ?

johnmc said:
hgblue said:
It was Van Persie's goals that won the title for United last season, and I have a sneaking feeling that it will be Rooney's that win the title for Chelsea this season. You can tell me how wonderful this new 'holistic' approach is at the end of the season when the title's in the bag. Until then, I'm a sceptic I'm afraid.

As much as it is always said, RVP goals did not win them the league, the team won the league same as it is every season.

RVP scored more goals for arsenal the previous year so if it really was purely down to his goals why didnt arsenal win the league in 2011-12. Fact is the rags were better in most departments, and even when they werent they found a way to win where we lost and drew.

Bollocks,fact is RVP was their out and out best player,and without him they would never have finished top

pee dubya said:
blueparrot said:
Dzeko's Right Boot said:
What was the alternative?

Van Persie did not win the league for them they got the same points and I think 3 less goals as the season before. They won it more from our lack of goals last season.
Player for player they are nowhere near the best team in the league, they won it because as a team they are greater than the sum of their parts. Rather than disproving the holistic approach (how i'm growing to hate that term), unfortunately United prove it's worth.
All teams are greater than the sum of their parts.

Caveman said:
pee dubya said:
blueparrot said:
Van Persie did not win the league for them they got the same points and I think 3 less goals as the season before. They won it more from our lack of goals last season.
Player for player they are nowhere near the best team in the league, they won it because as a team they are greater than the sum of their parts. Rather than disproving the holistic approach (how i'm growing to hate that term), unfortunately United prove it's worth.
All teams are greater than the sum of their parts.
No they're not.

BillyShears said:
hgblue said:
BillyShears said:
Crucially, I don't think last season was a fair reflection of the talent and quality in the squad. For many reasons we had a squad which under performed both collectively and individually. This summer the squad has been balanced in a fashion which we desperately needed. Right now it's arguably the best in the league.

Just my opinion, but at the level we're at, the players other people buy isn't what's important. It's how our teams progress, evolve, and ultimately deliver. I know you're sceptical about the way the club's being run but all I can say is give it a year. This is just the beginning.

I agree that the team under-performed last season, and I agree with you about the reason that happened. This season, we won't have that excuse/reason so we should be able to gauge the ultimate holistic manager (Pellegrini) up against the ultimate non-holistic manager (Mourinho), and our much praised holistic transfer policy against their much criticised non-holistic transfer policy. If we come out on top, not only can you rest assured that I'll be absolutely delighted, I'll also be on here eating my words, but my instinct tells me Chelsea will win the League. Hope I'm wrong.

Chelsea have signed Schurle and Van Ginkel this summer. Their approach is even more holistic than ours! :) The Rooney transfer is a pipe dream of epic proportions in my opinion. United won't sell to Chelsea and Chelsea know it. Chelsea for their part also passed up on Cavani and Falcao.

The clubs threatening the non holistic approach this summer are United and Arsenal. I'm fairly comfortable that neither of them will get their a list targets (Fabregas, Suarez). Looks like Bale's going to Madrid. All in all the notion that Chelsea are favourites can only be predicated on the return of Mourinho. I admit it'll be quite an interesting battle between him and Pellegrini. However our squad is stronger than theirs in three crucial areas, central defence, central midfield, and forwards.

Arsenal have been the model of an holistic approach, one manager, no 'star' signings, kids coming through the youth set-up, and they've won bugger all. Chelsea have been the model of a non-holistic approach, lots of managers, plenty of 'star' signings, no kids coming through, and have won plenty.

BillyShears said:
Pigeonho said:
I like that part there.

I think it's an accurate description of how Pellegrini, Txiki, and Ferran will run the club. No matter how much we've enjoyed the last few years, I believe that what comes next really will be the building of a footballing empire.

Winning an Fa cup and league in succesive seasons were really the building blocks of a footballing empire.I find it strange haw some fans can just dismiss them and we are only starting now to build this dynasty.No matter what comes in the next few years we stand on the shoulders of giants.

hgblue said:
BillyShears said:
hgblue said:
I agree that the team under-performed last season, and I agree with you about the reason that happened. This season, we won't have that excuse/reason so we should be able to gauge the ultimate holistic manager (Pellegrini) up against the ultimate non-holistic manager (Mourinho), and our much praised holistic transfer policy against their much criticised non-holistic transfer policy. If we come out on top, not only can you rest assured that I'll be absolutely delighted, I'll also be on here eating my words, but my instinct tells me Chelsea will win the League. Hope I'm wrong.

Chelsea have signed Schurle and Van Ginkel this summer. Their approach is even more holistic than ours! :) The Rooney transfer is a pipe dream of epic proportions in my opinion. United won't sell to Chelsea and Chelsea know it. Chelsea for their part also passed up on Cavani and Falcao.

The clubs threatening the non holistic approach this summer are United and Arsenal. I'm fairly comfortable that neither of them will get their a list targets (Fabregas, Suarez). Looks like Bale's going to Madrid. All in all the notion that Chelsea are favourites can only be predicated on the return of Mourinho. I admit it'll be quite an interesting battle between him and Pellegrini. However our squad is stronger than theirs in three crucial areas, central defence, central midfield, and forwards.

Arsenal have been the model of an holistic approach, one manager, no 'star' signings, kids coming through the youth set-up, and they've won bugger all. Chelsea have been the model of a non-holistic approach, lots of managers, plenty of 'star' signings, no kids coming through, and have won plenty.

I don't understand your point. Just because City didn't go for the so called marquee names on the market this summer, that doesn't automatically imply they won't sign marquee players. Just means they won't take the approach of filling the squad with high earning so called marquee players.

hgblue said:
BillyShears said:
hgblue said:

The last time Arsenal spent what we have this season on good value, quality European/world talent was just before they became "invincible"...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.