The home brew thread

Taximania said:
TINY said:
Anyone up for an SJPORR style trade off? Without the competition element...

Whats that mean Tiny ?

Fella on YouTube, goes by the name of SJPORR, setup a home brew world challenge. The premise is that you brew your best brew, send it off to fellow brewers who rate your beer and send you some of their best brew and so on and so forth.

Maybe we could get a trade off going on here to taste each other's brews, without the "challenge" aspect. I'd be intrigued to taste other brews and have people critique mine.

TINY said:
Taximania said:
TINY said:
Anyone up for an SJPORR style trade off? Without the competition element...

Whats that mean Tiny ?

Fella on YouTube, goes by the name of SJPORR, setup a home brew world challenge. The premise is that you brew your best brew, send it off to fellow brewers who rate your beer and send you some of their best brew and so on and so forth.

Maybe we could get a trade off going on here to taste each other's brews, without the "challenge" aspect. I'd be intrigued to taste other brews and have people critique mine.
Good idea as it will give us a heads up if we are all brewing to the same format.

More of a Saturday morning swap shop than a siphorr setup ?
For instance the Australian I am supping now is not how I imagined it to be.
Dont get me wong its deffo suppable and enjoyable.
If it came from the pipes of the northern quarter I wouldn't be rushing it back for a replacement.
It just carries a very slight sweetness in the aftertaste
Is this from the hopping or is it from pitching at elevated temperatures or am I imagining uit
If someone else has a sup of your brew and you sup theres then it gives you a ball park figure of where you need to be.
But the beutiful thing about homebrewing is that every brew is to the individuals palate.
You may thing a certain brew is wrong and we may agree to differ and think it blooming marvelous.
You can buy one kit and I guarantee with all the variables involved it would taste different each time
Fermentables added and temperature of the wort and storage methods etc.
This is what makes it a great hobby
Since I started up about four or five months back I have wrote everything down with each brew made.
Even the marvelous Woodies wherry can alter in taste by underbrewing and adding extras to the mix.

Best to record each brew in great detail.
Break wind when you lovingly stirr the brew then record it down !
Break off the brew to go for a dump, then get it logged !

I am after brewing the best lager I can because that is my poison of choice.
I intend working my way through about 6 lagers brewing them all differently until I find my holy grail

The brews so far that make me smile are The Woodies wherry which is a no brainer at £14 for 40 pints
Thirty five pence for a pint of Camra award winning ale, the word amazing is to understate the drama !
The Lions pride from Milestones was gorgeous
The jubilee Chianti red which was poetry of the palate
And now this cheeky little Barolla from the Beaverdale stable

The lagers I have done however have had fair to middling results.
I have many still in the conditioning phase and so am ever hopeful in finding my Heathcliffe.
He's just not landed yet but am still trying hard.

What have I learned up to now.
I have learned that the wines and ales have come on a long way in the home brewing world.
They seem to have their colours nailed firmly on the mast.
Mention home brew a decade or two ago and you might have been met with shrugged shoulders and a grumble or three.

Last edited:
Taximania said:
TINY said:
Taximania said:
Whats that mean Tiny ?

Good idea as it will give us a heads up if we are all brewing to the same format.

More of a Saturday morning swap shop than a siphorr setup ?
For instance the Australian I am supping now is not how I imagined it to be.
Dont get me wong its deffo suppable and enjoyable.
If it came from the pipes of the northern quarter I wouldn't be rushing it back for a replacement.
It just carries a very slight sweetness in the aftertaste
Is this from the hopping or is it from pitching at elevated temperatures or am I imagining uit
If someone else has a sup of your brew and you sup theres then it gives you a ball park figure of where you need to be.
But the beutiful thing about homebrewing is that every brew is to the individuals palate.
You may thing a certain brew is wrong and we may agree to differ and think it blooming marvelous.
You can buy one kit and I guarantee with all the variables involved it would taste different each time
Fermentables added and temperature of the wort and storage methods etc.
This is what makes it a great hobby
Since I started up about four or five months back I have wrote everything down with each brew made.
Even the marvelous Woodies wherry can alter in taste by underbrewing and adding extras to the mix.

Best to record each brew in great detail.
Break wind when you lovingly stirr the brew then record it down !
Break off the brew to go for a dump, then get it logged !

I am after brewing the best lager I can because that is my poison of choice.
I intend working my way through about 6 lagers brewing them all differently until I find my holy grail

The brews so far that make me smile are The Woodies wherry which is a no brainer at £14 for 40 pints
Thirty five pence for a pint of Camra award winning ale, the word amazing is to understate the drama !
The Lions pride from Milestones was gorgeous
The jubilee Chianti red which was poetry of the palate
And now this cheeky little Barolla from the Beaverdale stable

The lagers I have done however have had fair to middling results.
I have many still in the conditioning phase and so am ever hopeful in finding my Heathcliffe.
He's just not landed yet but am still trying hard.

What have I learned up to now.
I have learned that the wines and ales have come on a long way in the home brewing world.
They seem to have their colours nailed firmly on the mast.
Mention home brew a decade or two ago and you might have been met with shrugged shoulders and a grumble or three.

So Tiny for the first Saturday morning swap shop I will exchange you a bottle of Barolla for .......

Entice me .... Surprise me ...

Great offer Taxi, one that both excites and scares me. I don't feel I have a wine to the standard you state but I do have a few lagers that I feel are more than suitable for a session, lager that I place above most store bought stuff that I'm very pleased with. However like you say, is this my palate or would others enjoy them as much as I?

I have a dry white that has aged for some 3 months now and is a super sup if you're into your drys, but beware it is super dry wine. Other than that I have a cheeky strawberry wine nearly ready... The mrs made me, promise.

I am happy to swap some and compare..but I have no idea what I might have that anyone would like to try..and only the wherry and elderflower wine are ready yes ibottled my first wine tonight...have some pear cider poss ready next week currently conditioning..smells great looks cloudy. Stout fermenting..chardonnay just fined ready in 10 days or so...I will try owt (once) if any one fancies anything I have done??

Lot of inspirational posts and comments as well as advice on here, really appreciated.

Just doing my first one, an IPA, will be bottling it this weekend, smells amazing.

Soon as it is bottled, the Woodeford's Wherry is going in the fermenter!

Maybe move on to wine/spirits after!

Taximania said:
bumbleblue said:
I am happy to swap some and compare..but I have no idea what I might have that anyone would like to try..and only the wherry and elderflower wine are ready yes ibottled my first wine tonight...have some pear cider poss ready next week currently conditioning..smells great looks cloudy. Stout fermenting..chardonnay just fined ready in 10 days or so...I will try owt (once) if any one fancies anything I have done??

I will take the elderflower mon amie

So a bottle of Barolla for a bottle of Elderflower
Elderflower sounds grand ;
We will have to pm and arrange a rendezvous or some bond'esque dark alley trade off

Tiny's swap is a piece of pish as he only lives up the road in Midd

Now............................... .......................... ................

Who gets my 1.000 th post on the moon

I was considering leaving last month grasshoppers as my work on this board was complete .
But I was enthusiastically encouraged by our grandmaster to stay for just a while longer.
So bless you all !
You are on taxi..Will pm tomoz..am looking forward to that swap..

Bilboblue said:
Lot of inspirational posts and comments as well as advice on here, really appreciated.

Just doing my first one, an IPA, will be bottling it this weekend, smells amazing.

Soon as it is bottled, the Woodeford's Wherry is going in the fermenter!

Maybe move on to wine/spirits after!

I cannot believe some of the crew are still here at daft o'clock in the morning.

The wines are where the real money lies Bilbo.
Massive savings to be had
When I mention that our Barolla is smooth I really mean it.
Nothing we have done personally.
Just complied and duly followed all kit instructions.

Once you have tasted the bomb proof wherry you will have been hooked lined and transferred safely into the landing net
Can smell the IPA from here !
The IPA does require some conditioning so try to give it at least four weeks after bottling if you can.
I know I know : 0
Patience blah blah blah

Keep cracking down this natch of Aussie lager and the more I glug the more I question the fruity ester.
Its not right, I need to ask other members who have ripped this one out if there Aussie had a slightly sweet aftertaste.
It has to be the pitching of the yeast at 76f

I've not been on much in the last few days so only just catching up with the swap idea. Sounds good to me, but only have a wherry (still a week off bring ready) and a muntons lager (brewed with 500g spray malt and 1kg dextrose and will be ready in about 3 weeks). Were going to start a grenache (beaverdale) and Saturday and our hand picked blackberry wine soon too. Just might be a month or so before anything is ready to send.

Hi everyone
Just started home brewing and bought a woodfords wherry from wilkos.
It's been in the fermentor now for 2 weeks as we live in a stone house and all the rooms are cold, so will obviously take longer. I've just taken the lid off and along with the bubbles there is some green mould/ bacteria floating around
Is this normal or do I have a problem?
The fermenting bin I have had in the shed for 20 plus years but I scrubbed it all out and sterilised it all got 45 minutes
Thanks
Glyn

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.