The home brew thread

glyn1 said:
Hi everyone
Just started home brewing and bought a woodfords wherry from wilkos.
It's been in the fermentor now for 2 weeks as we live in a stone house and all the rooms are cold, so will obviously take longer. I've just taken the lid off and along with the bubbles there is some green mould/ bacteria floating around
Is this normal or do I have a problem?
The fermenting bin I have had in the shed for 20 plus years but I scrubbed it all out and sterilised it all got 45 minutes
Thanks
Glyn

Hello glyn and welcome
Grafting at the moment so will help out the best I can on the mobile
Are you sure the mould is not just krausen caused during the initial ferment.
Temperatures for the ale yeasts should not fall below 60f.
The yeast will cease to function and fall out of suspension.
After two weeks the wherry should have fully fermented out.
If the temperature is a little below 18-20c it would indeed take longer
Can you take a hydometer reading for us.
Should be around the 1008-1010 mark if its at final gravity.
Also take a thermometer reading and let us know what temperature of the wort is at.
Cheers
Taxi;

Hi taximania
Thanks for replying, the gravity reading is 1016, and the temperature is 16 degrees.
I know that is a bit cold.
Yes the more I think of it it is probably the yeast crust.
Just a bit worried as this is my first time.
think I have to wait until the gravity reads between 1014 and 1012?
Will these bubbles go when the gravity reaches 1014-1012 or would I still syphon in barrell
Thank for all the help
Glyn

glyn1 said:
Hi taximania
Thanks for replying, the gravity reading is 1016, and the temperature is 16 degrees.
I know that is a bit cold.
Yes the more I think of it it is probably the yeast crust.
Just a bit worried as this is my first time.
think I have to wait until the gravity reads between 1014 and 1012?
Will these bubbles go when the gravity reaches 1014-1012 or would I still syphon in barrell
Thank for all the help
Glyn

Excellent mate
If you dont have a wamer room to transfer it to then just wrap a blanket around it.
Consider buying a brew belt, I think Tiny has one and will give u the full sp.
It is fermenting but its been a long haul for the yeasties at 16c.
Few degrees lower and you would have put it to sleep
Leave it for three more days and then take another hydrometer reading.
Anything around the 1010 -1012 or slightly under is happy days for the Wherry.
When you get three days with no change in the readings we can safely bottle her up.
Very important we get your wherry to final gravity before bottling.up.
Dont want any exploding bottles.
Or are you barreling the batch ?
Have a nibble of the brew from your hydrometer tube.
Does it taste ok ?
Let us know how u go on.
Cheers
Taxi;

I've tasted it and it tastes ok, nothing unpleasant but nowhere near tasting good.
I'll test the gravity again on Sunday and hopefully it will be lower!
I'll probably look into a heat belt or a heat plate, hope they are cheap on eBay!!!

Just bottled and barreled my wherry tasted better from syphon tube than some beers I've tasted.looking forward to a proper tasting session. My pilsner is 4 days into its cycle smells good .my wine has bubbled through the airlock and splattered over walls and shelf think it should still be alright I hope

Your in for a treat Gx
Go and buy another three boxes from Wilko whilst they are still on offer.
Then brew them all up three weeks apart and bingo you have become self sufficient
Absolute nectar of the gods and utterly deserving of it's Camra award

I'm gone !
late for work : (

<a class="postlink" href="http://i58.tinypic.com/4skuab.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i58.tinypic.com/4skuab.jpg</a>

Taxi; just downed your lager. It is a bit "fruitier" than mine but it's a lovely beer. You have your carbonation absolutely spot on; how much sugar do you use for your priming?

Just had a glass of your red, that is absolutely immense, where can I get this?!

TINY said:

Taxi; just downed your lager. It is a bit "fruitier" than mine but it's a lovely beer. You have your carbonation absolutely spot on; how much sugar do you use for your priming?

Just had a glass of your red, that is absolutely immense, where can I get this?!

Thanks for the compliment and the honesty with the lager.
Its not to the style of the ale having a sweet aftertaste.
I know now that it was down to the higher fermentation
This has become imprinted as a characteristic of the lager and can't be conditioned out.
Its enjoyable and refreshing but until they start serving Kronenburg with a banana and raspberry chaser then I wont be replicating the taste anytime soon.
I Will pay very careful attention to pitching temperatures in future. 18-20c constant for ales
Yes I like it but its just not quite right
Similar to that Bozo character that's just landed down here
Somethings just not there in the ingredient list
Logarithm's differential equations algorithm's and pie r squared are far more easily understood.
I think it's like the emperors new clothes though at the moment
Lots of peeps running around in circles biting there own tails but not really knowing what the fook is going on
Could be the start of a Cellaristic coup d'état
In a counter coup my monies firmly on the Rascal,he's matured well with age just like our home brews and does not take clowns lightly.

Glad you liked the Beaverdale Barrola.
You can buy from most online stockists or local home brew shops for around the £40 mark for thirty 750ml bottles.
Or £1.33 a bottle.
This mid range kit is easily the equivalent of an £8-£10 bottle in the supermarket.

The lowest price I can find Tiny after trawling the net is

http://www.creativewinemaking.co.uk/wine-kits/beaverdale-barrolla-barolo-30-bottle/prod_17.html

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/winekits/premium-kits/beaverdale/beverdale-30-barolo.html

http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalog/BEAVERDALE-BAROLLA-5g-1230.html#SID=1"

The Art of brewing has free delivery if you spend over £49 so if you bunged a Coopers kit in the mix with it to take it to the £50 its free delivery. Creative wine making only require a minimum spend of £45

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.