The home brew thread

hi all
started a beaverdale pinot grigio this afternoon done to about 21 litres to give bit more body
also got a chocolate stout on near ready to bottle hope its not sickly though
my first stout

tom said:
hi all
started a beaverdale pinot grigio this afternoon done to about 21 litres to give bit more body
my first stout

Hi Tom, good luck with it all, what's involved with doing the stout fella?

Bilboblue said:
tom said:
hi all
my first stout

Same as doing beers nothing difficult just poor it in top up to 23 litres pitch yeast

tom said:
Bilboblue said:
tom said:
hi all
my first stout

Same as doing beers nothing difficult just poor it in top up to 23 litres pitch yeast
Also came with hops (tea bag style)

Taximania said:
Bilboblue said:
Just done the first of my Wherry kits, initial reading is 1034 from the hydrometer, sounds a bit low to me?

Pretty much a bomb proof kit the woodfordes so try not to wherry too much.

I would expect the starting gravity to be around 1042
Asuuming you completly emptied the two tins and got every last drop out then it can only be one of the following.

You put in more water than the required 23 L

Or you have not thoroughly mixed the malt enough and it has not disolved into the wort giving you a false hydrometrr reading.
It will eventually mix in though.

Ok to just leave it bilbo and you should end up with final gravity around 1010

Cheers
Taxi

I got all of the tinned liquid out, I put in boiling water to get the last bits out. I definitely mixed it in enough, I was constantly stirring for ten mins, and more as I was chucking the water in, and there is 23 litres on the side of the fermenter showing.

Ho hum, as you say, it should be fine, I will check again tomorrow.

Tuesday or Wednesday ruby red will be ready to keg, the it's a fermentation barrel sterilisation and on with a mixed fruit cider. Wine is lightening in colour.

Will be buying either a cream or oatmeal stout next. Scratch that it will be a milestone stout and I'll be adding either treacle, toffee or chocolate to it, before fermentation.

went into town yesterday (manchester arndale market) and there its was a homebrew stall and had all the stuff and great info

ancoats said:
went into town yesterday (manchester arndale market) and there its was a homebrew stall and had all the stuff and great info
nice one for that
have to check it out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.