The home brew thread

Re: people dry hopping their beer.

I really wouldn't recommend dry hopping your beer in the fermenting vessel if you are barreling the beer. Fermentation will de-nature the acids in the hops and potentially give it an overly bitter taste.

Luckily at this time of year its fucking cold so after fermentation (gravity 1010) I would stick some auxiliary finings in and leave it outside for 2 days. Following this transfer your beer to your barrel and use it as a 'conditioning tank'. Add isinglass finings and dry hop and leave for a further 24 hours to stillage in desired area (must be below 12 degrees C), the beer must not be unsettled until you've finished with it from this point.

The hops will hive it a slight haze but other than that it will be crystal clear.

(I only know this will work with beer made from scratch. May not work with kits)

I had a few bottles of Brewdog IPA at the weekend going to and from that there Laandan, I have to say, seems mine is quite similar, maybe it was a good idea to leave the hops in for longer haha!

Evening all - not been brewing over the last month or so due to the whole family being struck down with illness (that we kept passing to each other) and then going away for a few days. While away I visited my dad, who has also got into home brewing recently. Sampled his wherry and muntons pilsner. Was very surprising how different his wherry tastes compared to mine (his was far more bitter than mine and a lot more cloudy). His red wine however was rather spectacular (beaverdale Merlot).

I got back this evening and thought best have one of my lagers (first one of mine I'd had in 4 weeksish)....it was glorious (if only I'd not just watched city concede a second as I poured it). Ready to get another batch on the go.... Tempted to attempt an extract brew, but we shall see.

Had a few pints of my IPA tonight, superb, getting better, will try to save the rest of it for another month or so.

Dry hopped the New World Saison tonight too, so should be bottling it next weekend. Still got the ORA (Oaked Rum Ale) in the fermenter, will bottle/barrel that this week.

After that I have a Chocolate Stout and a Wherry's to do, then I am out, and will maybe try some wines and ciders...alongside an IPA !

Hmmmmmmm.... ordered some more one litre bottles for my batches just coming out and noticed a Black IPA.... ordered that too, will be an unusual one to try. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.brewuk.co.uk/lo-extract-recipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.brewuk.co.uk/lo-extract-recipe.html</a>

What brews have you pissheads got going for Christmas then?

since my last post i've done beaverdale pinot grigio excellent
beaverdale barolla finished fermenting needs bottling
coopers mexican cerveza jjust bottled
also did a chocolate stout a few months back messed up a little on that not fantastic but just about drinkable

tom said:
also did a chocolate stout a few months back messed up a little on that not fantastic but just about drinkable

How did you make your chocolate stout mate?

I currently have a beaverdale red on the go and just bottled a coopers Australian.

Taximania said:
TINY said:
tom said:

I currently have a beaverdale red on the go and just bottled a coopers Australian.

What red did you go for pal
Hope u enjoyed the caves of drach
Unseasonably hot out there
Lets hope it continues

For all peeps tiny tom et all brewing the Beaverdales luck will not even come into the debate
Just brew bottle and enjoy the very best that the home brew world is all about
Verily you will lose all bodily functions when tasting them, yep that good mon brave !
Make sure you stir the bollocks out of them after fermentation for at least four days to release all the evil dioxide
Tools on there to make life easy and I have one pre ordered from the fat jolly fooker in the red suit
Socks and undies and old spice are sooo 1980's

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/degasser/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/degasser/</a>

Hi mate, hope you're well.

Caves of Drach was excellent, 30's most days, might be back for new year if the weather keeps up.

I am brewing the Rioja and I have the Barolo ready to go next. Aiming for the Rioja available for Xmas and then the Barolo afterwards. Just need/want to make a winter warmer style beer and fancy going all chocolatey, but we'll see.

TINY said:
Taximania said:
TINY said:

What red did you go for pal
Hope u enjoyed the caves of drach
Unseasonably hot out there
Lets hope it continues

For all peeps tiny tom et all brewing the Beaverdales luck will not even come into the debate
Just brew bottle and enjoy the very best that the home brew world is all about
Verily you will lose all bodily functions when tasting them, yep that good mon brave !
Make sure you stir the bollocks out of them after fermentation for at least four days to release all the evil dioxide
Tools on there to make life easy and I have one pre ordered from the fat jolly fooker in the red suit
Socks and undies and old spice are sooo 1980's

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/degasser/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/degasser/</a>

Hi mate, hope you're well.

Caves of Drach was excellent, 30's most days, might be back for new year if the weather keeps up.

I am brewing the Rioja and I have the Barolo ready to go next. Aiming for the Rioja available for Xmas and then the Barolo afterwards. Just need/want to make a winter warmer style beer and fancy going all chocolatey, but we'll see.

Hey mate, I haven't forgotten about picking up that barrel, just not been able to get up for a midweek game lately. Hope all is ok.

Tom I'm interested how you did your chocolate stout as I have one here ready to be done too.

TINY said:
tom said:

was easy just liquid malt in a bag (one bag kit)
same process as a beer think it was a bull dog kit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.